Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Blue Engine Start Button

Old 05-01-2006, 05:40 PM
kcary
2nd Gear Member

Default Blue Engine Start Button

Ignited Push Buttons

So I found this link on the V6 forums and was wondering if anyone had some other alternatives that might be a little cheaper than this other than the S2000 button. I really like the idea of the blue start button, but don't want to say "Ignited" on it if possible, not to mention cost $75. If it's gonna cost that much then I'll just wire up the red S2000 button.
Old 05-01-2006, 07:05 PM
05HOTROD
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Blue Engine Start Button

I heard that these type start buttons are really bright when driving at night. how much is the s2000 one?
Old 05-01-2006, 07:25 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Hah, that's funny. Those "Ignited" pushbutton switches are a common industrial part. They are NEMA-spec oil tight switches used in factories, plants, and on industrial equipment. You can buy them in many different configurations. They're just having their own custom text printed on them. The raw switches are anywhere from $20-50 depending on the exact configuration and the quality. You can get them from places like Newark Electronics (www.newark.com).

Anyway, those switches have interchangeable bulbs. If you have one and it's too bright, then you can simply replace the bulb with a dimmer one. Or, you can wire a resistor in series with the bulb to drop the voltage and make it dimmer as well. Or, take out the bulb, give it a light dusting with some spray paint to block some of the light, and then put it back.
Old 05-01-2006, 07:53 PM
90lxstang
4th Gear Member

This just popped into my head...what if you take a S2000 button and use model paint to color it how you like? I think it would be pretty funny if you painted one over, then put a big white "!" on the face of the button.[8D]
Old 05-01-2006, 08:44 PM
chevykiller
I ♥ Acer

I may be wrong, but I have heard that with the push starts, you have to still have the key in the ignition. If that is true, it would seem kind of pointless, no???

Old 05-01-2006, 08:59 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

You could probably paint one. Though, i think it would take some care to get it to come out right. Plastic parts require careful prep to look good when painted. Also, you'd be frequently touching it with your finger. You'd need some good paint not to rub off or wear through.

Yes, every "engine start" button that I've seen requires you to have the key in the ignition. Basically, the engine start button is an "asthetic mod" that is supposed to be reminiscent of race cars. Serious race cars don't have keyed igntion switches like street cars and a momentary switch is the simplest way of cranking the starter. Street cars have no need for an engine start button--it's just a gimmicky little mod that some people like.
Old 05-01-2006, 09:15 PM
wannarun

What would be neat is to rig up a system similar to the C6. You will need to change the computer program to get rid of the key all together. It's not that complicated. The trick is finding a good short range transmitter for the keypad and receiver for the car. It would require a little re-wiring of the car. Does anyone have an electrical schematic of for these cars?
Old 05-01-2006, 09:15 PM
dreem363
1st Gear Member

I have the red illuminated Ignited button. I will say that the installation is a pain and the light is very bright. Some of you might try to make it less noticeable by doing some of the things mentioned earlier. I think I will switch to the s2000 button because it looks more OEM. And yes you still have to put the key in the ignition(safety feature because then anyone would just be able to brake into your car and steal it).

The S2000 button costs about $40 and the illuminated Ignited costs about $55.

Old 05-02-2006, 11:42 AM
kcary
2nd Gear Member

I like wannarun's idea, even though I agree it would be a little much. Essentially it would work like the Lexus does that has a little transmitter and receiver in the key and the key must be within close enough proximity for the start button to work. I would be interested if someone had any insight into this. If I can get a starting point, I think I have the background to carry it through, just for fun.
Old 10-13-2007, 05:25 PM
Bkaiser87

Is it possible to switch the Key ignition system and steering lock for a switch. and then add a start button.
By hiding the switch you bring the safety back to the car.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Blue Engine Start Button