Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

HOW TO: Side Skirt Install

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 11:51 PM
dmhines
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Side Skirt Install

Pull one out and bring it with you ... it should be in the fastener section ... You are looking for something like this ...

http://northlandfasteners.biz/Store/...oducts_id=1334
Old 08-31-2006, 05:04 AM
Skoshi42
2nd Gear Member

you can still reuse the christmas trees, just dont pull them down all the way... you can wiggle each one back into place.. and it holds just as tight as before.. I brought my car up to 105mph yesterday... and it was still on there... also remember, you will use every clip and christmas tree...
Old 08-31-2006, 11:27 AM
Horrific_Ending
4th Gear Member

Ok so i can reuse all the retaines i just need to be careful. Ok i am actually planning on doing a write up as i am putting on the side skirts. so anyone else wanting to do this can see how to do it.
Old 09-04-2006, 04:35 PM
davidrc517

Default RE: HOW TO: Side Skirt Install

Where can I get buy side skirts?
Old 09-04-2006, 07:15 PM
HurricaneStang
4th Gear Member

http://www.v6mustangstuff.com/TakeOffParts.htm

$70 for a pair of them.
Old 09-04-2006, 08:22 PM
Horrific_Ending
4th Gear Member

I am going to make a write up on how easy this was. I don thave pictures when i was doing it but ill use skoshi's pics if its alright with him. It actually gives the car a better look. I am happy i did it.
Old 09-04-2006, 10:04 PM
Horrific_Ending
4th Gear Member

Side Skirt Removal and Install:

-This is a basic remove and swap. I have a couple pictures to go by to make it a little easier. The only tools I used where a Flat head Screwdriver, Front-faced wire clippers(Same ones used in spartanVI’s write up on GT bumper install) And then I used a pair of regular Pliers.

-Ok to start I located all the pins that needed to be removed. There are 2 push pins that are located In the front wheel well holding the front part of the skirts on. All I basically did was use my flat head screwdriver to get them out.

-If you actually look at the pin there are little Cut outs where you can actually stick your screwdriver to pull the pin out. and then remove the whole pushpin.

-Next there are 8 Body retainers Running under the skirt holding the bottoms of the skirts on. I had actually had trouble getting these retainers off because of how the retainers where threaded. So i decided to leave the retainers in because i wasnt going to be using these skirts again. If you look at the pictures of skoshi's pictures, you can actually see that where the skirt meets the door their are light "Christmas Tree" like retainers holding the main body of the skirt on.

Ok now for getting the skirt off.( i am going to try and explain this the best i can, but when you get to this step and you see how easy it is to get off you will see what i am talking about) If you choose to go the route that i did leaving the bottom retainers in you can now actually pull the whole skirt away from the car and work your way down pulling the skirt away. If the pull the skirt away and the christmas tree retainers stay in the car dont worry you can actually use the Front wire clippers to pull them from the car. now that you have the top half of the skirt off you can now pull the bottom half of the skirt of. When i did this the skirt came off but the retainers on the bottom stayed in the bottom of the car. All i did then was take my regular pliars and use a little Muscle and muscle the retainers out of the body of the car. When i did this i actually wrecked the threads and tore up the retainer itself.

-Now here is the easy part, Take all the christmas tree retainers off the old side skirt and slide them the sameway into the new side skirt. Now just take the new skirt and match the Christmas tree retainers up with the holes in the car and snap them into the holes. If you broke the retainers when pulling the side off you may have to go your local autozone or dealership to get replacements. I foudn that these are what is really holding the skirt itself on, so i recommend you use all of them. So with the skirt on you can now put the two pushpins in the wheel wells back in.

-This part is totally up to you, You can try and find the underbody retainers at your local autparts store or you can reuse them if they arent badly tore up. I tiried finding them at autozone but the retainers were to short. So i had to reuse them I only used a couple on each side and the skirt holds on great.

-Just repeat these steps on the second side skirt and you should be set. Ill make revisions and try and take more pics if people need help or more explainations on parts.

Thanks for Skoshi42 for his pics of his side skirt swap.

Old 09-23-2006, 02:16 AM
rmays06
5th Gear Member

Great write up, I'm doing the same job next week just waiting for shipment.
Old 09-23-2006, 02:36 AM
Horrific_Ending
4th Gear Member

its really easy to do and it looks great afterwards.
Old 10-15-2006, 07:31 PM
4.0 Stang
3rd Gear Member

About how long did it take.

Quick Reply: HOW TO: Side Skirt Install