Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

3M Tape = Safe?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 04:29 PM
SOHCman
4th Gear Member

Default 3M Tape = Safe?

Hey Folks!

I may be really old school, but when I see all these wonder new aftermarket parts being attached with 3M tape I get REAL nervous!

I don't know the exact qualities of the tape mind you, but if I'm attaching a hood scoop, side scoop or a set of rear window louvers is TAPE really the answer? I know it's not the adhesive, but what the adhesive is applied to...

How longdoes it last before your parts fly off on the highway?

I read about a set of louvers that was screwed to the mounting brackets and the brackets were 3M'd to the car!

I also loved the set of HOOD PINS that were 3M'd on! WOW! Those are worth getting...

Any comments? Incidents?
SOHC
Old 03-05-2007, 06:00 PM
LisaJ429
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: 3M Tape = Safe?

i have the roush louvers which are screwed to the mounting bracket and the bracket is 3m taped on. i have had them on my car for a year now and that is through hot & humid summers here in Maryland and cold weatheras well, and knock on wood i haven't had any problems.

you have to make sure and clean the area of dirt and wax. my husband used rubbing alcohol on mine. that is what he also used to put the pony emblems on the side because they are just stuck on.
Old 03-05-2007, 06:35 PM
my first mustang
3rd Gear Member

I installed a 3D Carbon Mach 3 spoiler and a Silverhorse Racing Honeycomb taillight panal with 3M tape,lets just say that you better make sure you have the parts lined up perfectly for installation. The grip of this tape is amazing!Once the tape hits the prepared surface there is NO adjustment.Make sure you follow preparation instruction to the letter.I have no worry about this means of installion.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:34 PM
tedBalog
2nd Gear Member

I have my spoiler partially attatched with 3M tape, I have no problems. Just do make sure you have it lined up how you want it before you apply it. It's really sticky..
Old 03-06-2007, 11:51 PM
rls82959
3rd Gear Member

My louvers have the 3M tape. I would think the tape weakens when it gets wet. To be on the safe side I also used GE Silicone II black caulk for glass and plastic under the louvers in the corners and all along the outside seem. To finish it, I put black foam board on the inside of the glass.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:23 PM
SOHCman
4th Gear Member

Thanks for the feedback folks.

Puts my mind a little bit more at ease.

I was reading about the rear window louvers from Mustangs Unlimited where they are screwed to the car. Anyone try that?

Now, I'm worrying about drilling. Geesh! I can't make up my mind.

How about those "racing" fuel filler doors? How do they attach?

I have never done body mods to any of my cars so this is a whole new realm for me. I enjoy reading about everyone's adventures.

A lot of you are more talented than I will ever be...

SOHC
Old 03-13-2007, 08:59 PM
linesma
2nd Gear Member

3M Tape has been used since the mid 1970's to attach trim to cars. My 1977 Oldsmobile 88 still has all of its exterior trim attached, and they used 3M tape. Granted, they do not look as bright any shiny as they once did, but they are still there. As long as you prep the area by removing all oils and waxes, it will stay stuck for years. Surface prep is the key.

Good Luck,

Mark
Old 03-14-2007, 12:53 AM
atom21

Just make sure that you clean all the area with wax and dirt.

Old 03-17-2007, 12:46 AM
trpcthndr
1st Gear Member

I just took my 07 torch red into a body shop to fix the "custom" hood my wife gave me the other day when she backed her truck into my car. Long story short, I ordered a new hood (painted black with a hood scoop) and decided to have my factory V6 style spoiler removed so it could be painted black to match....yeah, well, after they removed the 4 little bolts holding it on, it took them over a half hour to use a wire to cut through the 3M tape along the spoiler. That stuff is tough!!! As someone already said, it's been in use for years and almost every single body kit out there, uses it!
Old 03-17-2007, 02:34 AM
linesma
2nd Gear Member

Bad luck about the "custom hood". I now have a custom design on my drivers door, caused by the combination of 40 mph desert winds and a trash can. I have used 3M tape as a quick temporary repair on solder joints on instruments until I can get them back to my shop. It works very well. The only problem removing it once I get back to the shop to do the repair properly!!

Quick Reply: 3M Tape = Safe?