Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

racing stripes for 66 stang

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 02:20 AM
ajsch1061

Default racing stripes for 66 stang

Hello,

I am a new, 15-year-old owner of a 1966 red Mustang. It was sold to my family by someone my dad knew, and it has a new coat of paint, everything in and around the car is original except for the tires, and it has a white vinyl top. To spice it up, I'd really like to put 2 white racing stripes across the engine and the trunk, and on the sides too, but I'm not sure if it would look silly or not since the white top prevents stripes from being on that part too.

Attached in this message is a picture of the car as it is right now, but could someone out there give me their opinion on what I should do regarding the stripes? Or if you have some pics you could show me of cars with similar situations??? That would be just great, and if you have anymore questions just feel free to reply cuz I'll check back often! Thanks!

Alex S.
Boise, ID

[IMG]local://upfiles/76321/DA70534C78F84C5B89E4AAE21A36C7CB.jpg[/IMG]
Old 08-04-2007, 10:34 AM
GT Bob
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: racing stripes for 66 stang

Nice first car! Your a very lucky guy to get so pristine an example as that as a first car. Take VERY good care of her. There's not many of them left. While this really should be in the Classic Mustangs Folder (https://mustangforums.com/forumid_18/tt.htmLOTS of great info and people in this forum, spend some time reading and you'll learn alot!) , I'll answer cuz my brother in law has almost the identical car to that (Black Vynil top, same red)sitting in the garage next to my 07. I would say a set of Rocker panel stripes would look good, but leave the racing stripes alone. The racing stripes, IMO just don't follow well with the vynil top interupting it.

Also remember, you have a classic car and if you try to modernize the look of it too much, it will look out of place. Try to follow the styling trends from when the car was new, and you'll end up with a hot looking car.
Old 08-04-2007, 02:10 PM
shooter23
3rd Gear Member

How did it come from factory?? Leave it like that...that car is a classic...everything you do to it will lower the value...if you want to customize a car, get a modern one, becuase they wont regain value for 30-40 years...
Old 08-04-2007, 11:35 PM
ajsch1061

Thanks for your answer. Now that I think about it, I really do agree that racing stripes on the top would make it look out of character. But I may go for the rocker panel stripes a little later on...I checked out some images of red 66 stangs with those panel stripes and really liked them.

Thanks again!
Old 08-05-2007, 08:18 AM
BeeStang
3rd Gear Member

All very good advice. If it were my car I would leave it alone. As a classic, the value will only increase with out adding a bunch of Bling! Have fun with your new ride and take very good care of her.
Old 08-05-2007, 08:44 PM
Soonerman

I hate you!
Old 08-05-2007, 08:49 PM
Soonerman

Just kidding. (kinda) I drooled over mustangs like yours when I was a teenager. Come to think of it, I still do. I completely agree with the previous posts. IF you ever even remotely think that you will want to sell it - keep it as close to original as you can. Modding a new car is a completely different concept. If you absolutely have to customize it - only change things that can be reverted back to original. IE - keep the original parts, get a line on companies that make original paint shades, etc. Congrats on the "SWEET RIDE"!!

P.S. I hate you !
Old 08-08-2007, 01:10 AM
Burnsy
5th Gear Member

hahaha

congrats on the new car! i agree with the above posts, take good care of her!
Old 08-08-2007, 01:23 AM
sw07gt
4th Gear Member

Keep it like it is. Its a classic.
Old 08-08-2007, 06:07 AM
suoperdave84
4th Gear Member

BOOO!

(not the car, the comments) In my opinion, stock has been done. Stock is boring. I would never own a car that I felt I needed to keep stock just to maintain value. If you like the stock look, fine, but if you want to do some changes, just do them. So what if some guy won't want to pay you $50k for it in 20 years....it's your car and you should do whatever you want to it to make you happy.

On the other hand, you can always make changes that you can reverse....ie a set of nice wheels or vinyl stripes, etc.

I have never kept a car stock and I never will. That's just me. You all do whatever you like.

Quick Reply: racing stripes for 66 stang