Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

GT Rocker Panels

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 02:11 PM
VictoriaRR
4th Gear Member

Default GT Rocker Panels

I have a buddy in the parts department of the local dealership who has a pair of tungsten grey GT rocker panels that he's offering to me for $40. The only thing I'll need is the rivets unless I'm able to use the ones on my panels. He said they came from an '07 GT that got Roushed as soon as it got to the dealership. They replaced the GT panels with Roush panels. I'm 90% sure I'm going to take him up on his offer.

Now, what I'm trying to figure out is that the black rocker panels the V6 comes with nicely compliment the rocker stripes that many of the V6's come with. The Shelby GT-500 even has these same black rocker panels and similar rocker stripes. I have a black Pony Package rocker stripe that looks great with them. But I fear that if I put the GT rocker panels on the black stripe won't look as good... there might be an illusion of too much "space" between the stripe and the bottom of the panel. If so I know I can fix this by just doing away with the rocker stripes, which I'm considering, but I do like them quite a bit. Of course, I can just forget the whole thing and leave my car as it is.

Anyone think the rocker stripes wouldn't look too good with these panels? Any suggestions as to going about this mod?
Old 07-29-2007, 04:46 PM
Paleoc
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: GT Rocker Panels

A little rough but it will give you an idea what it will look like:

Old 07-29-2007, 06:59 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

I've heard some guys say that the stripe doesn't look as good with a GT rocker panel.

Try taking your photo, using Photoshop and paint over your rocker panel with the color that's on your car.....or you can ask one of the guys in the "chop shop" forum to do it for you. That will give you an idea of what it may look like.
Old 07-29-2007, 07:02 PM
Paleoc
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 07 Stang

Try taking your photo, using Photoshop and paint over your rocker panel with the color that's on your car.....or you can ask one of the guys in the "chop shop" forum to do it for you. That will give you an idea of what it may look like.
That's what I did in the previous post.
The GT has colored side panels because the rear fascia and front fascia extend down further than the V6. The V6 has black ones to make the side look shorter. With a GT front and rear fascia's the colored panels are necessary otherwise you have a silver, black, silver side on the car.
Old 07-30-2007, 01:39 AM
hataap
3rd Gear Member

hmmm...i have contemplated this question too...but i think i am staying with the original rockers and not the GT. If I didnt have the mustang side stripe then I would definitely go with the GT rockers, but I personally like the stripe (i know some people don't) so I think I am gonna stay with the black rockers. good luck with your decision.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:37 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hataap

hmmm...i have contemplated this question too...but i think i am staying with the original rockers and not the GT. If I didnt have the mustang side stripe then I would definitely go with the GT rockers, but I personally like the stripe (i know some people don't) so I think I am gonna stay with the black rockers. good luck with your decision.
Same here..... I like the stripes as well as the stock rockers, especially since they are the same ones on a Shelby.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:46 AM
AmericanICON
3rd Gear Member

My car had a gold side stripe which I changed to blue when I added my 12" BSM stripes. I added a color-matched GT sideskirt. You can look at my sig pic and decide whether or not there is too much "space". I like the look...and I actually had the same thought process.
Once you get the skirts on though, it's definitely an improvement. Makes the car look more "full".
Old 07-31-2007, 10:38 PM
VictoriaRR
4th Gear Member

Thanks for the suggestions and photoshops, guys.

I went ahead and got the rocker panels. They have a few scratches, so I may get them repainted. We'll see. I'm thinking of getting those on there and then doing away with the rocker stripe. To kinda balance things I'll then get a chin spoiler. Is there such a thing asa rear bumper (or butt) spoiler or cover that'll make the car look lower?

AmericanICON... your car looks great. Did you put the rocker panels on yourself or have a shop do it? The dealership body shop said they'd charge $90 and that they might have toorder rivets because they might not be able to use the ones that my factory panels have. Did you encounter the same thing?
Old 07-31-2007, 11:40 PM
AmericanICON
3rd Gear Member

I installed them myself. It is not hard at all, and you can have it done in less than 30 minutes. My rockers came with new rivets, however if you're careful, you can actually reuse the ones you have. Out of all the rivets, I re-used all my originals except for the two that I did break.

There's a great "how-to" on this on the forums. I'll look for it..
And thanks for the compliments on my car, I really appreciate it!
Old 07-31-2007, 11:44 PM
AmericanICON
3rd Gear Member

https://mustangforums.com/m_1887174/tm.htm

Try this "how-to". Scroll down to post 16, and there's a good step by step with pics.
Your car is going to look great! I like those Roush scoops too.

Quick Reply: GT Rocker Panels