Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

RACING STRIPES ISSUE

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 02:24 AM
SD05GT
3rd Gear Member

Default RACING STRIPES ISSUE

I have a white Mustang GT with a roush hood scoop. I'll be getting stripes soon. I'm leaning toward 10 inch blue stripes from bumper to bumper including going over the hood scoop. Any opinions on color, size, or striping the scoop?
Old 01-04-2008, 02:55 PM
jvausa

Default RE: RACING STRIPES ISSUE

Vista Blue would look great over your white paint. I would go with 12 inch. As for the scoop, I'm having the same question when I stripe mine.
Old 01-04-2008, 03:05 PM
Aziraphale
4th Gear Member

12" white and under the scoop.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:07 PM
bodyman
2nd Gear Member

Go to www.baltimorestreetmods.com for ideas
Old 01-05-2008, 01:31 AM
SD05GT
3rd Gear Member

oops. Sorry guys. I meant 12". =)

Over the scoop or around!??? Im leaning toward over!
Old 01-05-2008, 01:15 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Here's mine.

Some things to consider before you have some paint the stripes. Talk to them about other cars they have painted with stripes like this. The stripes actually start in the center of the car, on the roof and go to the front and rear from their. Because the cars surface is concave and vary in curvature, the width will vary. The strip may only be 10.5 at the top of the hood and 9.5 where it ends towards the nose.

The color I choose is Sonic Blue from the 03/04 Cobra. It is described a blue pearl metallic. At night it looks almost black or navy blue from a distance until it gets in the light then you can see the cobalt colors come through. During the day in the sunlight the pearl and the metallic show through great. Mine is clear coated with the exceptions of the bumper. The reason the bumpers were not cleared is it is easier and cheaper to fix if a small scratch or dings orrus within the bumper. When you choose your painter, choose the guy who can do the best job for the money. Don't be cheap. Satisfaction of purchase is remembered longer than the price you paid.
Old 01-05-2008, 05:56 PM
SD05GT
3rd Gear Member

Your car looks great. I really like the pin stripes on the sides of each stripes as well. How much would I be looking to spend on paint? I am probably going to go vinyl since its cost much less. Over or around my scoop???
Old 01-05-2008, 06:38 PM
cobra443
4th Gear Member

no stripe on the scoop
Old 01-05-2008, 11:07 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SD05GT

Your car looks great. I really like the pin stripes on the sides of each stripes as well. How much would I be looking to spend on paint? I am probably going to go vinyl since its cost much less. Over or around my scoop???
I have seen it done both ways and I prefer having the scoop painted the same color as the stripes. I'm actually considering this myself. To get my stripes done, including the spoiler painted white with the blue stripes added was $1500. The shop I worked with is privately owned and I have seen some of their work. They do a great job. A lot of customs go in and out of there with beautiful paint jobs. While I was waiting for the car to finish, I had the windows tinted.

Another hint. You can have your painter use a grease crayon to draw on your car so you guys can figure out exactly what you want. The pinstipes were a pain to fight with. 1/8 or 1/4, how big should the gap be? or even put them on at all.

My wife was the one who convinced me to do the paint. I was looking at the vinyl and she told me she would rather spend twice as much and wait a little bit, then to think about what I (we) could have had. So I waited a few more months to save up and got it done a little later. I'm so very happy I got it painted. The difference is amazing from up close. Passing down the freeway it's more difficult to tell.
Old 01-05-2008, 11:52 PM
SonicBlue05GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Simon1

The color I choose is Sonic Blue from the 03/04 Cobra. It is described a blue pearl metallic. At night it looks almost black or navy blue from a distance until it gets in the light then you can see the cobalt colors come through. During the day in the sunlight the pearl and the metallic show through great. Mine is clear coated with the exceptions of the bumper. The reason the bumpers were not cleared is it is easier and cheaper to fix if a small scratch or dings orrus within the bumper. When you choose your painter, choose the guy who can do the best job for the money. Don't be cheap. Satisfaction of purchase is remembered longer than the price you paid.
that purty color was on more than just the Cobra

Quick Reply: RACING STRIPES ISSUE