Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Hid Conversions

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 11:09 PM
wildboi013
2nd Gear Member

Default Hid Conversions

Can some people post pics of their conversions if they have them? id really like to get them but all i can see is a picture of the box so i have no clue how hard they would be to put on
Old 02-07-2008, 11:23 PM
zid3
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Hid Conversions

u need relays to hook them up to your low beam but u dont need it if u hook it up to your low beam
Old 02-08-2008, 12:31 AM
powerband
2nd Gear Member

zid3: "u need relays to hook them up to your low beam but u dont need it if u hook it up to your low beam"

Huh?

Old 02-08-2008, 10:47 AM
So_Cali
5th Gear Member

???? LOLUmmm, what kind of work is needed to install them? HID's have caught my attention since I got my Stang. I have zero tech exp. so I hope it aint too hard to do.
Old 02-08-2008, 07:46 PM
zid3
2nd Gear Member

let me explainm a little better. the hids are plug and play kits, the problem is that when u hook them up and turn them on they will be fine, when u start the car they will start to flicker and have a strobe effect,that to the low beams, now if u hook it up to the high beams, they will be fine all the time(like me), now if u want to do it the correct way, you will have to put 2 little bulbs into the path, then u would have to hook up realys so when u turn the bulb on it stays on while the car is running, ill get into a more delited write up on how to install them the proper way when i have time(probly sunday of monday) if you want to hang around. if u dont feel like doing it your self just have somewhere install them for you
Old 02-09-2008, 08:23 AM
joeymustang
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: zid3

let me explainm a little better. the hids are plug and play kits, the problem is that when u hook them up and turn them on they will be fine, when u start the car they will start to flicker and have a strobe effect,that to the low beams, now if u hook it up to the high beams, they will be fine all the time(like me), now if u want to do it the correct way, you will have to put 2 little bulbs into the path, then u would have to hook up realys so when u turn the bulb on it stays on while the car is running, ill get into a more delited write up on how to install them the proper way when i have time(probly sunday of monday) if you want to hang around. if u dont feel like doing it your self just have somewhere install them for you
I had the same problem and this is the solution.
http://www.stealthauto.com/Products/...__HID-CAP.aspx

BUT since the only difference between your harness and that is that it has a capacitor, you can do it yourself and save like 30 bucks. This is what you have to do

What you need:
(2) 1,700uf 50V capacitors [RadioShack.Com]
(1) Soldering Gun
- Solder
(1) Wire Cutters/Strippers
- Electrical Tape The How To:
1. First off, you need the aftermarket H.I.D. kit.
2. Take the supplied harness that runs between the H.I.D. ballast and the factory OEM wiring as shown in the pic above and cut it in half about half way through.
3. Strip the 4 ends of wire now showing. 2 Positive 2 Negative. FOR THE FOLLOWING: Do not solder + and - wires to each other. Make sure they remain separated during the process. 4. Solder the capacitor wire that is not being pointed at (expressed on capacitor/follow the flow + to - ), and the 2 positive wires together.
5. Repeat the same for the negative side at opposite end of the capacitor. (Arrows pointing towards)
6. Using electrical tape, you need to tape off the areas you soldered and then the entire capacitor. DO NOT allow + and - wires to touch each other! 7. Continue the aftermarket kit install instructions You do this process twice. One for each side of the H.I.D. system.

P.S. I used a 2,200 uF 50 v capacitor since it is easier to find. Worked great also. With this you dont need the relay

Old 02-09-2008, 12:18 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

ORIGINAL: zid3

Hmmmmm
So HIDs are not true Plug-n-Play?
You have trick the stang into thinking it still
has the OEM filiment headlight attached instead
of aftermarket HID ballasts? The SJB goes crazy
as the load impeadence is different from OEM
bulbs and aftermarket ballasts?
Old 02-09-2008, 12:20 PM
Smgfan1224
1st Gear Member

i did this yesterday, turned out PERFECT https://mustangforums.com/m_4236581/tm.htm

VVME hid conversion