Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

RE: Smoked lights

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 12:21 PM
Avalanch3
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Smoked lights

I posted this on the appearance section, didn't really get the info I wanted, PM'ed a couple respected members about this and got some great answers. But, I want to know what the rest of you on this forum think.

I want to get the smoked lights for the tail lights, and the headlights. It seems that I have two options, films, or covers.

On ebay I could get these films for the front/back for a total of $48 shipped.

Front Films

Back Films

Also, If I do get these films, should I get the 38% or the 20%. Would the opacity of my original lighting dim intensely?
It doesn't seem practical to get these because they are harder to get off but the install seems much easier.

__

My other option is to get covers for the lights. I could get these for $65 shipped, which includes some other lights as well.

Cover package

These seem inexpensive and look pretty good as well, but I just can't decide which one to get.

As most of you know, my stang is an '07, torch red with two black stripes, back black panel, black tints, and a black titanium gas tank.

The last question is, should I even get the lights? Choose your answer in the poll and please, explain why, Thanks ^^

EDIT:

added pic of how it would look like, used photoshop

Old 03-14-2008, 01:12 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

i say the covers. only cuz they may be easier to remove/replace when you want. are these even legal?
Old 03-14-2008, 01:20 PM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

I say nothing because I think they look fine the way they are. Also it drastically reduces the amount of brake light people see, the legality is in question, and if you get rear ended with those on, all the person has to say was "I didn't see their brake lights because he had covers on them" and then you got a battle.

Just my opinion though.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:21 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

I chose teh covers because they are easy on-easy off. The rear covers stay on great.. but the front covers need tobe adjusted a little for them to stay on better.

Especially with the front covers.. if you do a lot of night driving on the highway.. it's nice to be able to take them off. If you don't have fog lights.. you will need to take them off whenever it's dark.. because you will not be able to see.

After saying that.. I think films provide a cleaner look. If you go with films in the front.. make sure they are a really light tint.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:24 PM
Devil Wolf
3rd Gear Member

they are illegal. at least by me and every other state that i know of. i was going to do this for a while, but i figured i didnt want the hassle and it does dim the lights quite a bit.

i've got a torch red stang too; going to have black stripes installed as soon as weather permits, and i do like the black and red theme so im going to go with the smoked turn signals from AM. our housing for our headlamps are already black, and i think this would go nicely with the theme. check them out, it may be another option you havent considered.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:30 PM
wolfpup
bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay

they're illegal in CA but i dont know about any other states... personally i think they're hella cool and would like to have them if the cops weren't gonna be on my A$$
Old 03-14-2008, 02:16 PM
carexface

i love my smoked lights. i have every light on my car tinted. i went to a place called stickercity in van nuys, CA. Try stickercity.com i dont know if they have EVERYTHING i have precut but they have most. They made most of mine custom fit. Its a sticker tint film. They apply easily and you can do it yourself with no problem. Also they should be easy to take off. The light shines through perfectly on my rears and i have the darkest % you can get. I got blue on my front headlights so i would not know if the smoked on the front makes a difference. I assume it does lose some brightness. The blue is pretty sweet .
Old 03-14-2008, 02:18 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: carexface

i love my smoked lights. i have every light on my car tinted. i went to a place called stickercity in van nuys, CA. Try stickercity.com i dont know if they have EVERYTHING i have precut but they have most. They made most of mine custom fit. Its a sticker tint film. They apply easily and you can do it yourself with no problem. Also they should be easy to take off. The light shines through perfectly on my rears and i have the darkest % you can get. I got blue on my front headlights so i would not know if the smoked on the front makes a difference. I assume it does lose some brightness. The blue is pretty sweet .
in van nuys huh, did you ask them if they were legal here in cali?
Old 03-14-2008, 02:58 PM
basketballord
4th Gear Member

I am gunna agree with odyssey on this, I think it looks better without being smoked, JMO
Old 03-14-2008, 03:26 PM
sonicmetalicS197
2nd Gear Member

if you had a black or dark car it would look real real good but idk w red

Quick Reply: RE: Smoked lights