Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

ugh winter dings, what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 08:29 PM
batmobile2005
2nd Gear Member

Default ugh winter dings, what to do?

my cars a dd, so i take it everywhere in the winter (i cringe doing it, but it works well). it has a dent on the hood (happened in a storm, unrelated to winter), the windshield and the paint has really strange like mineral marks on it that wont come off, and of course, little dings from gravel and such from the winter. im gonna bring it into a shop to get it detailed, but does "detailing" cover all of those things that i listed? i know generally what detailing is, but im not gonna be happy if theyre like well it doesnt cover (insert damage here).
Old 03-29-2008, 10:05 PM
flg2010
1st Gear Member

Default RE: ugh winter dings, what to do?

Well, bad news is most dings cost 200 - 500 each to repair. Go to a few body shops and find out how they will repair the dings. Plunger, sand, and paint is best. If they just fill it in with bondo and paint then thats not great and won't last.

Old 03-29-2008, 10:12 PM
batmobile2005
2nd Gear Member

sorry i described it wrong, theyre not dings, theyre just spots where the paint got chipped off. probably should have just called them chips in the first place, but please tell me those will not be 300 dollars a piece to repair
Old 03-30-2008, 12:52 AM
batmobile2005
2nd Gear Member

and also, i will not let them use bondo, i hate that stuff haha, that would look horrible after a while
Old 03-30-2008, 01:00 AM
Bluestar
5th Gear Member

Just one of the pitfalls of owning a Black Car....I just had mine at the shop for the same nonsense. They almost look like little tiny white dots on the front edge of the hood, right?
Old 03-30-2008, 01:18 AM
batmobile2005
2nd Gear Member

yup, exactly that. are they expensive to fix?
Old 03-30-2008, 06:32 AM
wmtheflash
3rd Gear Member

I went through this a few months ago with another vehicle. I got a nice door ding at a grocery store.

If a ding is nice and round and there is no damage to the paint, then a paintless dent repair will cost around $80. A traditional body shop will still want to pull the dent and repaint, that costs about $500 and is a waste of money unless the dent is unusually shaped or the paint is badly damaged.

Yes, a body shop should be able to handle those paint chips quite easily. The trick is finding a shop that will do it. Most will quote you an insane price because they don't want your business. They would rather deal with an insurance company. Call around and you'll eventually find a shop that will do it at a reduced cost.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:23 AM
Menace
5th Gear Member

Every time I detail my car and see chip here, chip there.. Also a DD and has been through 2 winters. Couple chips on the roof actually that are staring to rust a little. I'm just going to get the whole car repainted in like 5 years. Or unless the roof rusts get really bad..
Old 03-30-2008, 10:39 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

I had a nasty ding on my roof that was showing rust. Filled it in with some touchup. I didn't sand it down afterwards and make it perfect like I should have but I figured it is better to fill it in at the least than let it sit there and keep rusting.
Old 03-30-2008, 06:22 PM
scoots
2nd Gear Member

I too know the woes of a black DD. This was my third winter and I have accumulated chips on the hood, roof, a pillars and rear fenders. As far as I can tell none have gone down to the bare metal, but some white coating (primer?). In a month or so I am going to have my car detailed and these are the things they will cover:

[ul][*]Hand Applied wax and polish[*]Vacuuming and shampooing of carpets, mats and cloth seats[*]Machine Buffing (if applicable)[*]Removal of light scratches and scuffs[*]Scotchgard &tm carpet, mats and cloth seats[*]Leather seats cleaned, conditioned and treated[*]All exterior trim dressed[*]Wheels cleaned and tires dressed[*]Interior Scent[*]Window Cleaning[*]Complete interior cleaning and dressing[/ul]I am looking forward to at least getting rid of some swirl marks I created when I did the stupid thing of taking my car through an automatic car wash last winter. Never again!!

Scott

Quick Reply: ugh winter dings, what to do?