Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Headlight/Taillight Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 02:47 PM
The_Shirt

Default Headlight/Taillight Upgrades

Hello all,

The next things I want to do is likely install black housing LED taillights and black housing angel-eye headlights/foglights. I don't think the taillights will be too bad, but I read on a site feedback somewhere that you had to take the fenders off and remove the grill to get the headlights in and fastened properly. Does anyone have any experiece with these upgrades? I am pretty much a novice (i.e. non-mechanic) and don't want to be disassembling my car. I do think I am capable of relatively simple plug and play type upgrades, as in I don't mind unplugging and replugging in wiring.

Also, on the headlights, when I put the bulbs in (I would likely upgrade to better than stock bulbs), will they be adjusted by inserting them or will I need to find a shop somewhere to properly adjust them? I don't want to be blinding any oncoming drivers....thanks in advance for any assistance...bill
Old 09-25-2008, 03:19 PM
suoperdave84
4th Gear Member

Both the front and rear assemblies require some disassembly. The front lights (if you intend to replace the entire housing) require removal of the front bumper, but not the fenders. It is not as difficult as you think though. There are 2 bolts where the bumper meets the fender on both sides (they are a bit of a pain) but the rest are right there in the open under the hood once you pop off the radiator cover. If you just want to replace bulbs, they simply twist into the assembly and plug in to the harness.

The rear assemblies don't require bumper removal, but several interior trunk pieces have to be removed. I think there are three bolts inside the trunk that hold each assembly in place. Once you loosen them, the assembly will slide outl.
Old 09-25-2008, 05:09 PM
The_Shirt

Okay thanks. I'll have to put that off then or find a shop that will do it for me reasonably. I don't have a garage and really no safe place to do that much stuff. Well, I can probably do the rear, but no desire to crawl under and find fender bolts for the headlights. I really wish the sites that sell this stuff would quit saying "easy installation, less than 30 min" cause I'm thinking bumper removal is going to take more than 30 minutes...but thanks again for the feedback!