Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's
View Poll Results: Which hood?
Cervinis Type IV
66.67%
Trufiber GTS-III
33.33%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Need help deciding

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 11:35 PM
bronxbomba63
4th Gear Member

Question Need help deciding

I like the look of both hoods, just not sure which way to go. Need some help on this one guys/gals LOL.

Cervinis Type IV: https://www.cervinis.com/large.aspx?img=1278_1_big.png

Trufiber GTS-III: http://www.trufiber.com/popup.aspx?s...arge/90_1_.jpg

Also, if there are any with the hoods or companies, what problems if any have you experienced with them or their products?

Last edited by bronxbomba63; 01-12-2009 at 11:48 PM.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:42 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

OK here is my take
Do you like both hoods equally? Or one more than the other? If so which are you leaning towards?

I have a Cervinis hood and the fitment and finish is great and a nice gel coat is on top and minimal prep is required for paint on many Cervinis hoods. So if your on a budget and want it done correctly but with the least cost go with the Cervinis.

On that note I will contradict myself a little.... I also just rec'd a GTS3 hood and though I like the style more than the Cervinis the prep and labor involved in getting it up to par for paint was quite extensive. Is it worth it? Thats a decision you have to make.... do I think it was worth it.....one word "yes!"

The cost of either hood is comparable and STG 3 motorsports seems to have the best deal on the Trufiber hoods. Matt (howarmat) has the same hood and take into consideration that we both have black cars and show quality paint and prep was a must for me and Matt as well. Get an experienced paint and body shop that is good with fiberglass hoods and use the better primer on the hood before paint (poly-something I think)
PM Pascal for his take on the GTS3 hoods and cost for him to get them ready for paint.

I am sure they will chime in soon....or just PM them... many people have the GTS3 hood and since I had the whole Cervinis kit and was directly involved in the whole process from prep to install and cutting and buffing I am very partial to them. I debated on which to get since they both have been out and was lucky to stumble on a great deal for the GTS3 hood and have yet to get it painted. Prep was started and so was the good primer coat but I stopped after due to lack of funds....now it just sits in the garage.....sucks but having 2 hoods really is not necessary but I wanted a functional one for the Whipple S/C and for the heat extraction effects that either will provide.....the Trufiber to me has always looked better than the Cervinis and like I said I have the Whole Cervinis Kit and if this Trufiber was not such a great deal I would have gone with Cervinis. PM me if you want more details.....

Last edited by mygt500; 01-13-2009 at 12:44 AM.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:17 PM
bronxbomba63
4th Gear Member

I looked on Cervini's site, and now they are offering the hoods prepainted for an additional 349. So for the type iv hood, with the paint, it would come out to 888. I can get the gts3 hood painted from my club's president for a little over the cervini's price. I love the look of both hoods which in my opinion are pretty similar, but I've seen the trufiber hoods in person but not the cervinis. Also, a lot of members in my club have the gts3 hood, so that's one thing that's kind of stopping me from going with the gts3. I've heard horror stories regarding prepping and painting both hoods, as well as their fitments. But at the same time, there are those like yourself who said they haven't had a problem with them. I just don't want to get one of the hoods and get all pissed because I didn't listen to somebody. But like I said, I've heard different people saying the same thing for the different hoods.
Old 01-13-2009, 08:03 PM
Kotobuki
3rd Gear Member

I personally like different things about each of them. The GTS3 has much smoother transitions between the scoop and hood, which I think is important. Of course, the Cervini's has a lower rise on the back of the hood, which I like. The GTS3 has the wider center spar, which is more like the original 68 Shelby hood, but with the Cervini's you get the scoop set back a bit to recall the nose extension of the 68 Shelby.

Then there's functionality. The GTS3 as I recall, has air passages underneath that route air to the airbox location, and there's heat vents on top. The Cervini's is open, unless you buy an additional piece. For a little extra you can get the one "with Billet Inserts" which I /think/ are functional.

Were I to pick one of them, I'd pic the Cervini's. Then I'd see if the body man could smooth the transition on the side of the scoop. If you're considering getting it pre-painted that's obviously not an option. But I think I'd still go with the Cervini, with the heat extractors.

Last edited by Kotobuki; 01-13-2009 at 08:06 PM.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:01 PM
dunebuggydude11
3rd Gear Member

i had to vote for the cervinis. overall, i think it will look sick on your car with/ without a body kit. also, the fact that a lot of members in the club have the Trufiber hood and i think that hood only looks good with certain body kits (such as the BBR and cervinis c500 kits) JMO though.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:33 PM
SaddleUp
5th Gear Member

The only bit of advice I could offer is in regards to Cervini's hoods......

The fit is pretty darn good, straight from the manufacturer. I (luckily!) didn't have a single issue with my hood. That alone meant a lot to me when deciding where to get my hood from......

Now...with that said....I'd love to have the Cervini 2.5" cowl hood....something about that hood gets me fired up!!!
Old 01-14-2009, 12:14 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Originally Posted by bronxbomba63
I looked on Cervini's site, and now they are offering the hoods prepainted for an additional 349. So for the type iv hood, with the paint, it would come out to 888. I can get the gts3 hood painted from my club's president for a little over the cervini's price. I love the look of both hoods which in my opinion are pretty similar, but I've seen the trufiber hoods in person but not the cervinis. Also, a lot of members in my club have the gts3 hood, so that's one thing that's kind of stopping me from going with the gts3. I've heard horror stories regarding prepping and painting both hoods, as well as their fitments. But at the same time, there are those like yourself who said they haven't had a problem with them. I just don't want to get one of the hoods and get all pissed because I didn't listen to somebody. But like I said, I've heard different people saying the same thing for the different hoods.
From reading above and the deal you can get on painting it and looking at your car in the sig pic I voted for the GTS3. Since getting it prepped and painted wont be an issue and cost is about the same (Cervinis would be more with the billet inserts) I think you have a clear answer....but thats JMO. Who cares how many people have the hood in your club and the guy painting it is fimilar with the GTS3 and the deal in amazing. I think its a steal of a deal that you should not pass up! Your part of Stangpede and they have had no real issues with the hood and many do have it but it looks great and I personally like the transitions more. If you have FI the GTS3 has the "ram air" built in and goes over the CAI for the most part and the heat extractors are very functional.

Originally Posted by Kotobuki
I personally like different things about each of them. The GTS3 has much smoother transitions between the scoop and hood, which I think is important. Of course, the Cervini's has a lower rise on the back of the hood, which I like. The GTS3 has the wider center spar, which is more like the original 68 Shelby hood, but with the Cervini's you get the scoop set back a bit to recall the nose extension of the 68 Shelby.

Then there's functionality. The GTS3 as I recall, has air passages underneath that route air to the airbox location, and there's heat vents on top. The Cervini's is open, unless you buy an additional piece. For a little extra you can get the one "with Billet Inserts" which I /think/ are functional.

Were I to pick one of them, I'd pic the Cervini's. Then I'd see if the body man could smooth the transition on the side of the scoop. If you're considering getting it pre-painted that's obviously not an option. But I think I'd still go with the Cervini, with the heat extractors.
Very true and the Cervinis is functional with the billet inserts- OP-PM VA.stang (?) and see what he thought about the Cervinis hood you are considering? He had major problems with the Trufiber.....

Originally Posted by dunebuggydude11
i had to vote for the cervinis. overall, i think it will look sick on your car with/ without a body kit. also, the fact that a lot of members in the club have the Trufiber hood and i think that hood only looks good with certain body kits (such as the BBR and cervinis c500 kits) JMO though.
I think either would flow nicely with the mods the OP has...but JMO
Originally Posted by SaddleUp
The only bit of advice I could offer is in regards to Cervini's hoods......

The fit is pretty darn good, straight from the manufacturer. I (luckily!) didn't have a single issue with my hood. That alone meant a lot to me when deciding where to get my hood from......

Now...with that said....I'd love to have the Cervini 2.5" cowl hood....something about that hood gets me fired up!!! ;)
After that comment I just bought the 2.5 inch cowl hood for mine Shella!................................j/k but I am tempted!!!!!
Old 01-14-2009, 06:47 AM
5SPD07GT
Official Site Sponsor

i say go with the cervinis. the gts-III is getting played out
Old 01-14-2009, 08:31 AM
SaddleUp
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mygt500
After that comment I just bought the 2.5 inch cowl hood for mine Shella!................................j/k but I am tempted!!!!!
I wish you would!!! I want to see it on our cars with the rest of the kit.....do it for me.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:50 PM
bronxbomba63
4th Gear Member

MyGT500, you make some REALLY valid points. Now, here's another question, sorry if it sounds like an idiot question. But a bodykit that I'm thinking about is the Cali Dream (yeah Nolan I know LOL), so do you guys think the gts hood might be to soft edged for the kits "hard" angles?

Quick Reply: Need help deciding