Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Red door inserts 0o

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 06:58 PM
cgts18
1st Gear Member

Default Red door inserts 0o

Is there a way to remove them? Or are they stuck there until I buy a new panel or something else?
Thanks.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:05 PM
Mr.Bape
4th Gear Member

I'll take them off of your hands if u don't want them
Old 03-31-2009, 11:25 AM
cgts18
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mr.Bape
I'll take them off of your hands if u don't want them
Well first i need to see how to get them off! And if it looks normal (stock) without them, Sure. I'll let you have em' for a couple bucks.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:40 AM
Dreadknought

Actually those red inserts do come out. I decided a while back that I didn't like the cheap look of the interior plastics in the car so I decided to cover all of my grey panels with red suede. I completely stripped the doors and took off the leather panels. The outer edges are glued on with a very strong adhesive. once you can get past this the glue is thinner and easier to remove. Just be sure to take your time and make small cuts with something like an exacto knife to get you started. The panel underneath is the same texture of the surrounding plastic. you just need some goo gone or something to remove the remnants of the glue. What do you plan on doing with it?
Old 04-01-2009, 12:07 PM
cgts18
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dreadknought
Actually those red inserts do come out. I decided a while back that I didn't like the cheap look of the interior plastics in the car so I decided to cover all of my grey panels with red suede. I completely stripped the doors and took off the leather panels. The outer edges are glued on with a very strong adhesive. once you can get past this the glue is thinner and easier to remove. Just be sure to take your time and make small cuts with something like an exacto knife to get you started. The panel underneath is the same texture of the surrounding plastic. you just need some goo gone or something to remove the remnants of the glue. What do you plan on doing with it?
Sounds like a PITA. You know, when I get strips of glue left everywhere..
I just want them out. I'm broke, but one of these days I plan on swapping the leather seats for black racing seats and maybe seat delete in the rear. The red is starting to bother me now haha.
Old 04-02-2009, 02:13 AM
Dreadknought

Originally Posted by cgts18
Sounds like a PITA. You know, when I get strips of glue left everywhere..
I just want them out. I'm broke, but one of these days I plan on swapping the leather seats for black racing seats and maybe seat delete in the rear. The red is starting to bother me now haha.
Well Yes and no on the pain in the ***. It is a pain to get started but once you figure out how it works it goes so much faster. You said red seat covers huh? I would absolutely kill to have the red seats. I have two tone black with grey inserts from the Cal Spec package. Would you be interested in a trade?
Old 04-02-2009, 02:14 AM
Dreadknought

Oh and that first strong layer of glue is only like a half inch wide if memory serves.
Old 04-02-2009, 05:26 PM
cgts18
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dreadknought
Well Yes and no on the pain in the ***. It is a pain to get started but once you figure out how it works it goes so much faster. You said red seat covers huh? I would absolutely kill to have the red seats. I have two tone black with grey inserts from the Cal Spec package. Would you be interested in a trade?
Nah sorry. If I'm losing these it's going for a weight reduction / racing seats.
I Kind of want those Corbeau A4's. So you can just take off the leather on these seats? I'm almost actually tempted. Damn I hate temptation.
Where in TX are you? I'm outside of OKC.
Old 04-03-2009, 01:01 AM
Dreadknought

I'm near San Antonio, but around the middle of this month I will be in the Dallas area for few days. The leather and the cloth on the factory seats are just covers. The easiest way to see how the leather comes on and off is to pull out the back seats. You can look at the back and see that mostly it is plastic clips that hold it on. The fronts are a little more involved but its not too bad. I want in the future to get some Recaro Style Toplines. Their Topline series has 6 way power and heating and cooling functions for both the front seats. Its pretty swank.
Old 04-03-2009, 02:23 AM
Mr.Bape
4th Gear Member

Pretty swank=$$$$$ lol.

Quick Reply: Red door inserts 0o