Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Headlight Splitters... WHY?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 11:41 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Default Headlight Splitters... WHY?

Why in the HELL do headlight splitters cost so much?

I can see louvers being that much but give me a FRIGGIN BREAK, these things are TINY compared to other things.
Like 150.00 or more for them... WTF???
AND I CAN'T EVEN FIND THEM PRE PAINTED!!!!!

Has anyone found them cheaper or pre-painted?

And am I MAD for thinking the price is ridiculus?
Old 06-02-2009, 12:57 PM
exzpl0sive
2nd Gear Member

I bought mine prepainted from RPI Designs. So far, I think they have the best price.
Old 06-02-2009, 01:01 PM
cegha
2nd Gear Member

RPI has a prepainted special for under $100 shipped for a pair, i believe.
Old 06-02-2009, 11:17 PM
socalwrench
4th Gear Member

Supply versus demand. The more that are sold, the cheaper they are sold for. Not many people run the headlight splitters.
Old 06-03-2009, 12:41 AM
East87
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by socalwrench
Supply versus demand. The more that are sold, the cheaper they are sold for. Not many people run the headlight splitters.
Supply and demand normally dictates that as demand increases, supply decreases causing an increase in price to compensate. Prices decrease when there is excess supply or insufficient demand...or both.

The goal for retailers is to adjust prices for both supply and demand in order to turn a profit. If they have lots of supply and little demand, raising the price as you stated would simply result in ever-decreasing demand.

Alternatively, I feel that lots of people are demanding headlight splitters, which drives the price of a relatively simplistic body piece to an exorbitant level because there's enough demand that people are willing to pay $100+ for a pair.

Take Ford's splash guards for example. In 2006, you could get a pair for $7 from the dealership. What's the price now? $60+. Are people actually paying $60+ for them? You bet.

What did I just pay for my radiator cover extensions? Yeah... over $60... and they were on sale. With enough demand, you could charge $20 for a pack of gum or $10 for a pencil...
Old 06-03-2009, 04:16 AM
ahddm
2nd Gear Member

I love headlight splitters from everything on my car I get most compliments on them. Would I pay 200$ for mine probably, and I'm probably not alone.

That is the Demand, the consumer is willing to pay for that so they charge that.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:25 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Originally Posted by socalwrench
EERRRR.....

East87:
Supply and demand normally dictates that as demand increases, supply decreases causing an increase in price to compensate. Prices decrease when there is excess supply or insufficient demand...or both.
Beat me to it.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:55 AM
cadillacflow
1st Gear Member

I had no clue they was that much...wow.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:14 AM
mustangfan410
The 2014 Mustang Forums T-Shirt Design Winner

i dont like the look of the headlight splitters.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:27 PM
socalwrench
4th Gear Member

I completely disagree with you East87, headlight splitters are not in high demand. And many of the private parts makers charge HIGHER prices when items are either new or not selling in high volume. A great example are the outside mirrors and brake ducts from Agent 47- great products, but a tad too high for my taste. I believe one of the Agent 47 sales people in on this forum, and I would suggest you have a conversation with them if you need more evidence.

Onto my next point: Ford Motor Company, and many other manufacturers, have recently raised the prices of parts simply as a method of making more money- not as a result of supply and demand. The OEMs are having trouble making as much money as they did even 10 years ago, and one of the methods is to increase the profits from parts. Heck, some of the smaller parts were sold at a loss, or at cost, for several years; and I will not debate this last fact.

Quick Reply: Headlight Splitters... WHY?