Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

trunk lid insert

Old 07-30-2010, 08:26 AM
mcstang
2nd Gear Member

Default trunk lid insert

I finally finished my trunk lid insert. I decided to stick with the 281 theme. I haven't installed it yet but here's a lousy phone pic of it. Hopefully you can see it all right.

Old 07-30-2010, 12:04 PM
whyask
3rd Gear Member

VERY NICE!! How to..???
Old 07-30-2010, 04:14 PM
mcstang
2nd Gear Member

Default hot to

Originally Posted by whyask
VERY NICE!! How to..???
Well, a lot of people use mdf or plywood for the board but I used Gatorboard which is much lighter. It's like foam board but much stiffer. I made a pattern and then used a jigsaw to cut the Gatorboard shape. I have a custom picture framing store with a computerized mat cutter, so I took some clip art flames and numbers and cut it out using double thick mat board.
I then glued the "fall out" of the mat to the Gatorboard (the numbers etc..),
coated it with glue, covered it with the fabric, then pressed the mat board over top of the entire piece to force the fabric around the flames and numbers. After it dried under pressure, I wrapped the fabric around the edges and attached it to the back.
Most people have to cut the numbers etc...out of wood and it's a pain, but the mat cutter did it in about 60 seconds.
Hopefully, this made sense. There are some threads on doing these somewhere on this forum.
Old 07-30-2010, 05:05 PM
highline
4th Gear Member

I see requests for custom work coming your way...Like mine!
Old 07-30-2010, 08:31 PM
mcstang
2nd Gear Member

Thanks, now I just need to see if it fits
Old 07-31-2010, 09:50 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

VERY NICE! How much would you charge to cut out a Mustang logo (like my avatar) without the Tri-bar....aprox. 8.5 x 11?
Old 07-31-2010, 10:24 AM
rpietro
1st Gear Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by mcstang
Well, a lot of people use mdf or plywood for the board but I used Gatorboard which is much lighter. It's like foam board but much stiffer. I made a pattern and then used a jigsaw to cut the Gatorboard shape. I have a custom picture framing store with a computerized mat cutter, so I took some clip art flames and numbers and cut it out using double thick mat board.
I then glued the "fall out" of the mat to the Gatorboard (the numbers etc..),
coated it with glue, covered it with the fabric, then pressed the mat board over top of the entire piece to force the fabric around the flames and numbers. After it dried under pressure, I wrapped the fabric around the edges and attached it to the back.
Most people have to cut the numbers etc...out of wood and it's a pain, but the mat cutter did it in about 60 seconds.
Hopefully, this made sense. There are some threads on doing these somewhere on this forum.
Great results man. Need to see pics once installed. Nice job!
Old 07-31-2010, 10:26 AM
rpietro
1st Gear Member

How are you planning on having this hold in the trunk lid? Clips, glue, tape... Just curious.
Old 07-31-2010, 11:59 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

Post pics when installed.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:13 AM
mcstang
2nd Gear Member

Sorry guys but I've been swamped at work and not on the computer much. I'll try to get pics up soon but will be leaving for vacation. Thanks for the compliments!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: trunk lid insert