Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Louvers, side scoops? Help me decide, '06 GT

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 09:34 PM
JacobW83

Default Louvers, side scoops? Help me decide, '06 GT

Hey everyone, this is my first post. I am asking for some parts for my mustang for Christmas, but I just can't decide which ones. I've shopped around on AmericanMuscle and gotten some ideas, but I'd like to get outside opinions. First of all, I have a white 2006 GT with black stripes. I'm considering side window louvers, a rear window louver, or side scoops. I can't decide whether I should get black side window louvers or white. Most of the pictures I've seen have louvers which match the car's paint color with a black rear louver. However, it seems like the white louvers almost become invisible on the car. Black louvers would stand out and "pop" a little, and they'd match my stripes. So...

1. Would you suggest I put white side window louvers on my car, or black?
2. Which type of louvers do you like the best?

I will most likely be getting a professional to install whatever parts I get because I'm too terrified of screwing up the job. Now, about side scoops, would you prefer them over window louvers, or not? And why?

Thanks for taking the time to answer
Old 11-25-2011, 09:49 PM
MadStang40
4th Gear Member

Hey Jacob, welcome to the forums!

Listen, the louvers are not a huge deal to install. Just a well prepped area with an alcohol pad after a wash, adhesion promoter, and careful 3M tape placement and you'll never have a problem. Take your time and you'll have a good result, it's not rocket science!

The sole problem you'll have is that most louvers/scoops don't sit perfectly flush with the body. But close enough to still look good.

My biased opinion is for louvers, not scoops, specifically the Roush quarter window louvers. But if I knew about SHR louvers that actually replace the windows before I made my purchase, I would've bought them. But these HAVE to be installed by a pro!!! Well worth it from what I can tell though.

Please don't get black louvers on a car that isn't black! It breaks up the body lines in my opinion and draws the eye to the louvers, not the overall car. I actually put some silver pin stripes (vinyl you can buy at autozone or advance auto) and it gave a nice little touch to the "blades" before I decided they didn't need 'em on my color. You can probably get some black vinyl stripes in order to define the edges of whatever you go with.

Last edited by MadStang40; 11-25-2011 at 09:52 PM.
Old 11-26-2011, 12:32 AM
evilspock
1st Gear Member

Madstang, sweet car. OP, I like the scoops better. Gives the car an old school fastback look, imo.
Old 11-26-2011, 01:17 AM
Hotwheelracer
3rd Gear Member

I dig the louvers. The body lines of the S197 already have contours where the side scoops go. Just my opinion. Definitely get body color louvers, gives a nice clean look. I agree with Madstang that black would draw attention away from the car and to the parts. As far as install, the stick ons are simple. I bought the pre-painted ones from American Muscle and couldn't be happier. I did sweat it a little putting them on crooked. But worst case I could pull em of and reset them. And the money you save doing yourself you put towards other things for your car.

Old 11-26-2011, 10:24 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

I really love my SHR louvers. I did have a pro install it for me but there is a step by step sticky in the How Too section on it.

Old 11-26-2011, 10:52 AM
Hotwheelracer
3rd Gear Member

07stang how much did they charge you for install? To me those louvers give the best retro look. Getting alot of love from the blue stangs in this thread.
Old 11-26-2011, 10:55 AM
MarkMan
4th Gear Member

I went with SHR quarter window louvers and MRT flat black aluminum rear louver painted to match the car. Had a graphic shop add the vinyl stripe. I did not do either myself, and don't feel I could have and made it look good.

Old 11-26-2011, 08:02 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Hotwheelracer
07stang how much did they charge you for install? To me those louvers give the best retro look. Getting alot of love from the blue stangs in this thread.
I think it was $125 through Ford. I had my car in the shop for the hood TSB and while it was there I asked them to install it for me. I was going to do it myself but it required warm temps and it was the month of December. I can't use my garage because of all my business stuff so I might as well pay and get it done right.
Yep, got to love the Blue Stangs!
Old 11-26-2011, 08:05 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MarkMan
I went with SHR quarter window louvers and MRT flat black aluminum rear louver painted to match the car. Had a graphic shop add the vinyl stripe. I did not do either myself, and don't feel I could have and made it look good.

Mark, that's a nice classic look! My brother-in-law has a 2008 Shelby GT500 and is contemplating on getting lovers too. I'll have to show him pictures of yours.
Old 11-26-2011, 09:34 PM
MarkMan
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 07 Stang
Mark, that's a nice classic look! My brother-in-law has a 2008 Shelby GT500 and is contemplating on getting lovers too. I'll have to show him pictures of yours.
Thanks! I really like them a lot. The only thing I would do different is leave the underside flat black. I had them painted all orange, and it gets a little glare (although not enough to have the underside painted again). Let me know if you need more info.

Quick Reply: Louvers, side scoops? Help me decide, '06 GT