Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just did instrument cluster upgrade with my color

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 09:40 PM
scrmngt
1st Gear Member

Default Just did instrument cluster upgrade with my color

Just and FYI for everyone...After reading one of the threads here a couple of weeks ago or so, I decided I was going upgrade from the 4 to 6 guage instrument cluster with my color.( I did not order my GT). I contacted Ed Olson at http://www.fordpartsguy.com/ aka Millenium Ford and orderd the cluster and button panel. I thinkAll took about a weeks time for delivery. Price was $243, button cluster was $35, freight was $30...can't forget core charge for old cluster $300. All starting with disconnecting the battery, the whole thing took ten minutes. I will admit,on re-start, I do have one fault...a "tire pressure gauge" fault. (I am assumingI have no onboard tires gauges and that I will need to go to the dealer for the "as-built" info to be re downloaded...any thoughts???) Other than that...it's really cool...and a great easy upgrade. Ed is a great guy to deal with, so if you're on the fence...think no longer...because as he put it, "his girls need shoes".
Old 03-10-2007, 11:21 AM
jbailer
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Just did instrument cluster upgrade with my color

I helped with Ed's girl's shoes already. My experience was exactly like yours. It was a very easy install and Ed simplifies the process. I ordered a car with the IUP but after 4 months they hadn't even started building the car yet. In the mean time, I went in to discuss the situation with the dealer and they just got the exact car I ordered (not my order) without the IUP so I bought it that day!

After reading the posts here I decided there was a good chance that it would just work without having to take it to the dealer. I think that has changed just recently because it seems all the new clusters have the TPMS now. If you have a 2005/6, you won't have the tire pressure sensors in the wheels so you will get a bogus alarm saying the tire pressure is low. You can ignore the alarm and it won't hurt anything but for me it was VERY annoying and always displayed on the idiot light and the message center. I took it to the dealer and it was a quick fix. Just like mentioned here, they charged 1 hour labor which I think is reasonable. Works great and now I got the car I originally ordered. -Joe
Old 03-10-2007, 01:11 PM
06 Black Beauty
2nd Gear Member

yeah, I just did mine also from Ed. It was super easy and I have the same tire pressure gauge lite. I have to go to the dealer myself but I will do this when I have time too. I didn't disconnect the battery though.... Ed is a great guy I would reccomend anyone wanting to do this mod to go through him.
Old 03-10-2007, 03:37 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

i bought my gauges from a junk yard and no idiot light, got my switch from ed though, hes an awsome guy
Old 03-10-2007, 03:42 PM
scrmngt
1st Gear Member

Thanks JBAILER on the heads up for the TP gauge alarm...when the weather breaks here NY...I'll take it to the dealer. BTW...Nice Mods! I really want to put a Saleen S/C on at some point...$$$/warranty void all all issues at this point. How long was the S/C install and was it very difficult?-Mark
Old 03-10-2007, 10:15 PM
jbailer
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: scrmngt

Thanks JBAILER on the heads up for the TP gauge alarm...when the weather breaks here NY...I'll take it to the dealer. BTW...Nice Mods! I really want to put a Saleen S/C on at some point...$$$/warranty void all all issues at this point. How long was the S/C install and was it very difficult?-Mark
Mark, I would strongly suggest getting a package kit when you get the supercharger. As you increase the air, you need the fuel to be able to keep up with it. Your desired power level will dictate what fuel mods will be required. Along with that is the tune which is VERY important. There are S-197s that have blown engines with as little as 430whp. A good tune is VERY important. I would highly recommend you talk to JDM Engineering. They can help you determine what you will need and have kits for most power levels you would want to go to. The installation instructions come from Saleen and are VERY easy to follow. They go step by step with pictures. I think the install would normally take people a couple days. I couldn't do it un-interrupted so I had mine apart working on it for a week and I really took my time ensuring everything was perfect. I also took time to dress things to look like nothing had been added. Plus I took advantage of having everything torn apart to add things like valve covers, COPs, plugs and some other stuff. I am by no means a mechanic and didn't think the install was bad at all. Good luck and let me know if you have questions. -Joe
Old 03-11-2007, 02:57 PM
Ken M
1st Gear Member

I thinking about going with the My Color instrument panel, so I tried removing the bezel to see what I'd be getting into. I pulled rather hard on it, but it won't come off. I heard that it's held on with clips, but didn't want to pull any harder for fear of breaking something. Is it held on pretty tight?
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 03-11-2007, 03:03 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

I found it tighter than expected but it still should come off with some tugging.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:04 AM
Ken M
1st Gear Member

Thanks Matt, I'll tug on it harder.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:16 AM
CFLstangGT
2nd Gear Member

I have to ask the obvious.

I have an 07 GT w/o the 6 gauge cluster and obviously MyColor. Now If I order the mycolor 6 gauge cluster it is a plug and play intstall for the extra gauges and the trip computer with the buttons, the readings will work on gauges and trip computer?

thanks,
jose

Quick Reply: Just did instrument cluster upgrade with my color