Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering an 06

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 01:00 AM
iNTiMiDaToR

Default Considering an 06

I test drove an 06 GT 5 speed today and was impressed. Considering buying it. Is there anything I should know before I get serous about this? Whats all this talk about retuning and such?

I've been wanting a RWD Manual car as I'm getting board with my 04 Monte Carlo Intimidator SS. Contemplated a GTO but dont need that much power, Infiniti G35 but theres no dealers around here, 350z's only have 2 seats(wtf). And that about wraps it up for my price range. I've never been a huge ford fan but who cant like this mustang?

Thanks much,

Nate
Old 03-01-2006, 01:03 AM
canes44
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Considering an 06

Return a 06 mustang gt whats that? HAHA
Old 03-01-2006, 01:05 AM
PonyGT2005
2nd Gear Member

Well I won't talk you out of it that's for sure.
If you are not looking to mod for performance then no need to re-tune, but its painless anyway.
I love my '05 GT. Haven't look back yet...except to see how far back that WRX sti is behind me
Old 03-01-2006, 01:09 AM
GTSoup

Just picked my 06 GT convertible up last week. Considered 2 seaters but liked having a little extra room and you can't beat that Detroit sound! I've been a Chevy guy all my life, but this is a good looking, fast car out of the box that you can have fun with. It's up to you, but how fast do you have to go? How many tickets can you afford? I may look into air filter and perhaps a chip later, but I think I'll drive it the way it is for a while. Good luck.
Old 03-01-2006, 01:17 AM
06stangtime
1st Gear Member

I bought my 06 performance white GT a couple of weeks ago and I would like to say, Other than alittle drivetrain noise I love it.
You can't go wrong...
Old 03-01-2006, 01:18 AM
BlackB-U-TEE_06
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: canes44

haha, no - he meant "retune" not return

well intimidator,

you're talking to a bunch of people who LOVE this car (especially the new model). so be prepared for 174 people to respond "hell yeah, get a stang!". then others will say "well, you should get what you want, but i love my stang". but i will say this about our cars...this is without question THE best mustang to date. it is not only a beautiful car on the outside and inside (finally), it is truly a beautiful under the hood as well (talking about the GT here, although the V6 is also very nice). i'm sure you've heard the commercial about how the v6 is more powerful than the original V8 stang, and after driving both, i have to say it's definitely not far from the truth.

as far as problems...you'll read a number of threads here that list various problems people are having with their new stangs. a lot of people also have NO problems with their car. what's great about this forum, is if there IS something wrong with your stang, chances are someone knows how to fix it (and might even help you do it!). personally, i can only think of one thing, and it's not a huge deal - sometimes, not always - it sounds like there is a little rattle coming from under the right side of my dash. it seems to only happen when the engine is at a certain rpm. the next time i take it into ford for a checkup i'm going to have them take a look at it. other than that, it's a wonderful car that is an absolute pleasure to drive every day. i just installed a cold air intake, and re tuned my car, and MAN what a difference. it sounds and drives like an absolute beast now - although it sounded and drove great when stock.

anyway, there's not one person who i wouldn't recommend this car to. it is a fun car to drive every day, and i love opening it up when traffic permits. it is also a good car. i had a 98 v6 mustang before i got my 06 GT, and it just wouldnt quit. i seriously drove that thing into the ground, and it's still going. very trusty cars, in my opinion. i stand behind mustangs all the way.
Old 03-01-2006, 01:24 AM
iNTiMiDaToR

ORIGINAL: BlackB-U-TEE_06

well intimidator,

it is not only a beautiful car on the outside and inside (finally), it is truly a beautiful under the hood as well (talking about the GT here, although the V6 is also very nice).
I'll give you that, I love the interior. So really, whats the deal with the retuning?
Old 03-01-2006, 01:41 AM
BlackB-U-TEE_06
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: iNTiMiDaTeR

ORIGINAL: BlackB-U-TEE_06

well intimidator,

it is not only a beautiful car on the outside and inside (finally), it is truly a beautiful under the hood as well (talking about the GT here, although the V6 is also very nice).
I'll give you that, I love the interior. So really, whats the deal with the retuning?
the deal with retuning....

what i did was, i took off the stock air intake, and i replaced it with a C&L Cold Air Intake (CAI). because the computer in the mustang is so sensitive to airflow change, you need to re flash it with a different tune, to account for the extra air. that is how you truly are able to unlock power in the mustang. some people report 25-35 rwhp gains. i don't know exactly what my gains are yet, but it's definitely within that range. a very noticible difference. and very easy to do.
Old 03-01-2006, 04:07 AM
schmitty
1st Gear Member

im sure ill get grilled for saying this, but the guy is looking for input, i love my 06, and it looks great.
i also get alot of heads turning. i have several mods that make it even more fun to drive, and looks great. the only thing i can say so far that is negative is that it is becoming a rattle box. it seems that every other day somthing else is making noise. i cant stand rattles and i have a hard time letting the dealership take my dash apart to fix. if you are looking for a 06 make me an offer. i have 3,400 miles and a shaker 1000. the shaker 1000 makes all rattles go away

p.s.

i have added tungsten mirror covers. they look awsome, and tungstem colored plenum cover
"O" and the christmass lights are down
Old 03-01-2006, 09:31 AM
iNTiMiDaToR

ORIGINAL: schmitty

im sure ill get grilled for saying this, but the guy is looking for input, i love my 06, and it looks great.
i also get alot of heads turning. i have several mods that make it even more fun to drive, and looks great. the only thing i can say so far that is negative is that it is becoming a rattle box. it seems that every other day somthing else is making noise. i cant stand rattles and i have a hard time letting the dealership take my dash apart to fix. if you are looking for a 06 make me an offer. i have 3,400 miles and a shaker 1000. the shaker 1000 makes all rattles go away

i have added tungsten mirror covers. they look awsome, and tungstem colored plenum cover
"O" and the christmass lights are down
That'd be cool but your in Oregon and I'm in IL. NICE car tho!