Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Snow days!?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2006, 12:27 AM
Big Red
2nd Gear Member

Default Snow days!?

well I got my V6 Mustang last tuesday and I live in southern CT, so we just got covered in like 5 inches of snow yesterday. The car actually is a lot better in the snow than I thought it would be, its really not any worse than my old Focus ZX3, a lot more weight, the traction control helps, but I do have to switch it off when I get stuck to get out. Anyways as I was pulling into the parking lot at work one of my coworkers with an AWD BWM asks me "So how was the sled ride?" haha. Anyways just wondering if anyone else here braves the snow with their mustangs or if you guys just leave em parked, I kind of wish I could leave mine home in bad weather, but alas its my only car. On a side note after work I went to the beach where we have a HUGE open parking lot that doesnt get plowed and had a little fun doing some donuts haha. Anyways Im off to go find some good splash guards now cause my car looks like crap! So share your snow experiences!
Old 03-04-2006, 01:09 AM
skilz4u2nv
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Snow days!?

Mine handles ok.. I drive like my grandmother in the snow though so I couldnt really tell you how good it is... However I can tell you that I live a little upstate from nyc and we get some 15inches of snow every now and then! See my signature below for a lovely snow scene lol
Old 03-04-2006, 01:23 AM
cinque35
1st Gear Member

Only bad thing about driving in the snow is getting salt all over it, otherwise it's fine, also I ordered mine w/o track or anti-lock, can't stand them. My '93 GT did much better donuts in the parking lot at work though, cause of the locking diff. Can't wait till spring!
Old 03-04-2006, 01:59 AM
LesteR723
5th Gear Member

mine handles just fine so far... but i drive like a granny- which is smart in a RWD car with lots of power ... most will understand mustangs going slow with snow on the ground
Old 03-04-2006, 02:05 AM
AirForceGeorge
1st Gear Member

Ya, I've always taken my Mustangs out in bad weather. I just drive very, very carefully. Never had any big problems.
Old 03-04-2006, 10:19 AM
newbikerider2003
1st Gear Member

Don't forget how many years RWD cars were the only option. My family grew up in Cinncinnati driving 60's boats. I think FWD drivers are less skilled if they are to scared to earn miles in V8 powered RWD. It goes the same for people who can't drive a stick after 30 years of owning cars.

NOW...drive a stick shift V8 pick up with an empty bed in the snow, theres a challenge of your skill.
Old 03-04-2006, 11:25 AM
Tracedaddy
4th Gear Member

I drive mine through whatever Wisconsin can throw at me. I agree with NewBike. There are still plenty of cars out there that are RWD. (Like virtually every police cruiser out there arranging tow trucks for overzealous SUV drivers.) Our last snow storm I had to pick up my mother-in-law from the airport. On a long hill I passed a FWD Jetta who just didn't know enogh to keep his momentum going.

Just drive smart and don't look to be making any record 0-60 times. You'll be fine.
Old 03-04-2006, 02:40 PM
lmunz22
2nd Gear Member

Where in Suthrn CT are you? My family and I normally live in wallingford, but in the summer we move down to Madison.
Old 03-04-2006, 02:43 PM
SSJ Stang

I noticed that my 06 GT is a lot better than my 00 Stang. I'm sure the Traction Control and Tlok def. help. As long as you dont drive like an *** and give yourself plenty of stopping room you should be fine
Old 03-04-2006, 02:47 PM
Keeneye

I never drive mine in the snow -- leave it in the garage. The cinders on the roads eat up your paint with little scratches. I'm fortunate to have a 4x4 Jeep, though, to drive in winter weather. I've heard good things about snow tires, or studded tires in the snow with these cars.

Quick Reply: Snow days!?