Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealership wants to "BUY BACK" my car?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 12:18 AM
lmmmmm
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Dealership wants to "BUY BACK" my car?

Bigger margins on used cars than new cars. So, if they are short of used cars I can see them giving you a decent deal.

No different when they sell a new car. One customer gets a good deal so they have to get it back on the next customer.

At least check it out and let us know what happens. But really really run the numbers.
Old 03-07-2006, 01:42 AM
CarsandCigars
1st Gear Member

"Desperate times means desperate measures" They aren't exactly flying off the lots these days. Dealers will try any hair brained idea to get people in the door. Every time I've gone into my dealer there's a puddle of drool on the salesmen's desk. I apparently woke them from their daily nap.[sm=morning.gif]
Old 03-07-2006, 02:44 AM
TinPony
3rd Gear Member

dont fall for that marketing ploy, if your looking for a newer car, go check it out, if not
ignore it. Once they get you "in the door" you can bet NO deal will be made that doesnt turn a profit for them.
I received similar letters when I owned a PT cruiser.
Old 03-07-2006, 03:43 AM
Cobrakev
3rd Gear Member

I've seen 3 Mustang Gt's bought from Carmax by local dealers here in Georgia. They say there is such a high demand for the 05's & 06's, they are willing to pay top dollar for them. They know they will not sit long on the lot, and they didn't. So they may be wanting to flip yours for some quick cash.

Kev
Old 03-07-2006, 03:54 AM
HMS
1st Gear Member

I love this deal!!! As said before this is just a new way to try to get you into a new car...better sales numbers. I was a long time part man at Ford dealers. The last dealer I worked at, the service mgr let us bring in our cars and work on them when we wanted to. All we had to do is wright up a tickect on it ( insurance reasons) Well, I had a 89 olds beater ( work commuter) and one day I got a flyer in the mail from the dealer that said something like this " we need your 89 olds. We have a high demand for your vechicle....bah,bah. Give me a break it is 2001 and you want an 89 model..Right!!!
Old 03-07-2006, 11:18 AM
sowaxeman
Retired Moderator

I'm assuming you love your 'Stang and would want another if you did this. If this is the case, and these cars are in such high demand and fetching top dollar then doesn't stand to reason you will have to pay top dollar for the '06 [&:] I still say forget about it. Even if they give you a '06 at the same payment or MARGINALLY less than your current payment, you will be paying much more in the end - because I'm assuming you already have a year or maybe more of payments under your belt. You've already paid off MOST of the interst (first year usually equals close to the total interest), now they will hit you for another 4 year term and guess what - ANOTHER year of all interest [:@]
Old 03-07-2006, 01:13 PM
BeeStang
3rd Gear Member

Blah Blah Blah... It's just another scheme for you to come in look at something new and they buy bacj (or trade) for book value. I've seen several of these promotions over the years. You and everyone that bought a car from them in the last year got the invitation.

Buyer beware!!
Old 03-07-2006, 01:16 PM
jt14894
2nd Gear Member

I agree with everyone else.
Its just another [sm=bs.gif] marketing buzz word, such as Certified or Cash Back (which I've never seen during my many car purchases). If there is "Cash back", then show me the money!!!!
It sounds too good to be true so there has to be a catch. For example, they may let you choose another car, truck, or SUV, but they may have only one specific model that's available. Then, if you don't like, they'll use the bait-and-switch tactic to get you to order the one you want, of course, at a higher price. You'd have to pay the difference and then wait, and wait, and wait until it arrives. While, in the meantime, they'll offer you other vehicles on their lot hoping that you'll breakdown and take it.

These guys are slick, I tell ya.
I'll tell you my story when I was looking for my Stang.
Last May, we were THIS close to becoming a proud owner of a new Redfire Metallic GT (Premium w/ Interior upgrade package), but the dealer tried to pull a fast one.
Since we knew we weren't going to get anything less than sticker, our only option was to negotiate the trade-in.
At first, the dealer wasn't going to give us jack @#$% for the trade, but after haggling for almost 2 hours we finally settled on a reasonable price, which was very close to Kelly Blue Book.
So here's where the deal fell through. As we were going through the final paper work, and about to issue the check, my father noticed that the price we agreed had changed. What the salesman did, right before we went to the finance manager, was sneakingly add $500+ in additional fees. And what that could have done, was pretty much reduce the trade-in value back to the original jack @#$% price they quoted. [sm=WTFsgign.gif]
When we looked at the sticker, there was a dealer prep and administrative fee ($995) that was already included so we were ok with that. But after he added those other fees, he knew he got caught when he tried to pull a fast one.
The finance manager tried to BS his way saying that these fees are mandatory, but we told him that we've bought several cars before and have never paid these additional profit-only-for-the-dealer processing fees.
Needles to say, the car was parked and ready to go, had a full tank of gas, all we had to do was sign the check and do the walk around, but they got busted and so we walked out. No deal!! See ya!! [sm=shootshoot.gif]
I month later, I went to another dealer and got the same Redfire Metallic GT (Premium w/ Interior upgrade package) for sticker and I got a better deal on the trade-in.
[sm=gears.gif]
Old 03-07-2006, 01:18 PM
pcdrj
2nd Gear Member

Uhh....Geno... I get the exact same letter from my dearleships from the last 3 new cars we bought. They desperately need my '00 Pontiac Montana, '99 Saab 9-5, '04 Honda Odysey, etc, etc, etc.
Old 03-07-2006, 02:21 PM
saud alzaabi
3rd Gear Member

MINE MINE TAKE MINE im selling my mustang they should come over to UAE and pick it up it's got 13,500 km on it and its still brand new they should come and get it NOW and while thiere on thiere way they should bring me a shelby gt 500 im gonna pay extra money if they want... lol IF ....

Quick Reply: Dealership wants to "BUY BACK" my car?