Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I need a tune with an x-pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 10:31 PM
richjr74
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Do I need a tune with an x-pipe?

blackfoot, If I don't lose the cats, what do I gain from the x-pipe? Any idea...just want to know if it's worth it.
Old 03-14-2006, 10:37 PM
MusiccityGT
4th Gear Member

Go with high flow cats and an X-pipe if you want power gains and to keep it legal. I am running Magnaflow tru-x and axlebacks. Sound great and if they look under the car at inspection, they see cats. JMO

Edit - If you go with high flow cats, no pesky check engine light getting triggered.
Old 03-14-2006, 10:38 PM
blackfoot
4th Gear Member

you still get the flow , you still get the appropriat backpressure devoloped with a striaght through muffler design, youll get the sound of 8 cylinders in each pipe, rather than just 4in one and 4 inteh other.. (its a nicer sound) you acheive more torque over the H pipe... cats are just there to burn off certain emissions they are not that big of a deal. highflow cats arent even that much "high flow" as you think they would be..
Old 03-14-2006, 10:39 PM
SpecterGT260
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: chevykiller

It is your choice to lose the cats, switch to hi flows or keep stock. You don't have to lose them because of the pipe.

Edit - if you choose to loose the cats, I would recommend getting a tune.
Is it neccessary for safety? NO
Will it hurt your car to not have it? NO
Will you get better performance from your pipes with no cats by a tune adjusting the a/f? YES
perfect. thats what I was trying to say before. You get performance from every bolt on you do. My L/Ts high flow x, and catback all went on at once, and I only had a few problems for like 3 weeks. Then all better. I eventually got a tuner, but it ran just fine witout ( I put 3 cars real quick on an 04 GT with 2 passengers. he had one). with the tune, u can get the optimal mixture. without, ur still in acceptable ranges. You really dont NEED a tune until you do some major engine work like porting or cams.
Also, right now im back at stock tuning for the nitrous.
Old 03-14-2006, 10:40 PM
richjr74
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MusiccityGT

Go with high flow cats and an X-pipe if you want power gains and to keep it legal. I am running Magnaflow tru-x and axlebacks. Sound great and if they look under the car at inspection, they see cats. JMO
Thanks for the input Music. I guess I'll have to think on this one a lil longer.
Old 03-14-2006, 10:42 PM
richjr74
1st Gear Member

Specter, I'd love to see that car run. What's your 1/4 times?
Old 03-14-2006, 10:44 PM
SpecterGT260
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MusiccityGT

Edit - If you go with high flow cats, no pesky check engine light getting triggered.
actually, AFTER my car relearned the fuel curve, I started getting a check engine light. I guess thats the problem iwht LTs, shorties might have avoided that, but I like the lts better. Anyway, some 02 sensor eliminators fixed that. and I have high flow bbk catted midpipes

I am thinking about switching to the off road, just cuz there is no emissions testing in Iowa where Im from. and if I were to do it over I would have started that way because they give a little more power (not enough to fuss over) and are half the price. If u have emissions testing, then go with shorty headers (when u decide to do that, cuz u will ) and an offroad pipe, that way u can easily switch the stocker back in for testing, then go back to power.
Old 03-14-2006, 10:44 PM
MusiccityGT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: richjr74

Yea Specter! Can't wait till we finally get together for a run! Maybe at the Street shootout we talked about at Union Hill!
Old 03-14-2006, 10:47 PM
chevykiller
I ♥ Acer

I guess all the pipes i've been looking at are off-road pipes which replace the cats. Should have mentioned that.
ALL pipes, off-road, etc.. don't force you to lose the cats. Your cats can be bolted to any pipes. And blackfoot is certainly right too, don't expect straight pipe flow from hi flows. You will also keep your downstream 02 sensors with ANY cats and that will limit you to 102 octane as a max fuel runner without burning them up. My personal opinion is you're not going to gain 100 hp by losing your cats...LOL I would certainly have cats on my car if it wasn't a matter of octane for me. I run VP110 and C16 when I race my car and that is the reason I don't have cats.
Old 03-14-2006, 10:47 PM
SpecterGT260
5th Gear Member

15.6 with the stock bald tires and 2 weeks of manual experience . after that run my brother put his 99 cobra into the wall, so i was done for the night. Im prolly going with MusicCityGT to the track on the 31st after my nitrous is all hooked up (it was u that pmed me about that right? there is a guy from nash on here with a 94 saleen that ive been talkin to too, well all get together some time, but anyway.....) Well get video courtesy of my fiancee of all of our cars running. But im hoping to break comfortably into the 13s with no spray, and the 100 shot to put me in the low 12s. Ive read articles about similar setups doing that....... I hope I can step up to it.

Quick Reply: Do I need a tune with an x-pipe?