Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

An Unexpected Benefit

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 10:46 PM
GT Premi
3rd Gear Member

Default An Unexpected Benefit

So I had my subframe connectors, a-arm support, and tunnel brace installed Saturday. I expected the handling to be a bit more precise and possibly a bit "darty." That wasn't really the case. It holds a turn/curve a bit flatter, but so far I haven't noticed anything too drastic. But I haven't pushed it yet, either.

The unexpected benefit is that the car feels like it actually accelerates quicker from a stop. It can't be in my head because, like I said, I wasn't expecting anything in the way of improved acceleration. I guess the energy that was going into trying to twist the chassis is now going toward forward momentum. <Martha Stewart>It's a good thing.</Martha Stewart>
Old 03-20-2006, 11:05 PM
VaporDude
5th Gear Member

Default RE: An Unexpected Benefit

How much was this mod? Where did you get the parts? What is manufacturer of the parts? Can you give us more details?
Old 03-20-2006, 11:26 PM
blackfoot
4th Gear Member

friggen rims are soo hot!. where did you get them?
Old 03-21-2006, 12:13 AM
GT Premi
3rd Gear Member

The parts came from BMR Fabrication. $149 for the tubular subframe connectors, $59 for the A-arm support, and I forget how much for the tunnel brace, but it wasn't that much. Plus I haggled with them to get the price down on the A-arm support and tunnel brace. I ordered an electric water pump at the same time. It hasn't arrived yet. I ordered the subframe connectors way back in November/December but just got them installed. It was $200 to get them welded in. The guy bolted up the other two pieces for free.

You can go to www.bmrfabrication.com and click on 2005-2006 Mustang to see what all they offer.

I got my wheels from Tire Rack.

Thanks for the complement!
Old 03-21-2006, 03:34 AM
blackout
5th Gear Member

Thats very interesting, thanks for the information i'm going to look into that.
Old 03-21-2006, 06:04 AM
sidmanic
2nd Gear Member

I'm running all the same parts that you got (and a couple more) but everything you said is exactly what I experienced. Does yours feel like the suspension absorbs more of the bumbs in the road instead of the frame? My ride got even stiffer after I added control arms so any ride benefit is nice. Did you get the sub-frames for a specific reason or just because you wanted to tighten up the frame (which could be your specific reason)?
Oh, like your choice of color too.
Old 03-21-2006, 06:56 PM
GT Premi
3rd Gear Member

I noticed that I don't have as many rattles anymore. (knock on wood) I got the subframe connectors simply to stiffen up the chassis. I sort of expected that it would reduce the rattles, but I wasn't keeping my hopes up for that one. My ultimate goal was to have a more precise feeling car and something that I can possibly road race if I get the fancy. It did seem to absorb bumps a little better.

I think I need to swap out my shocks and struts now, though. I didn't have to do that with my '99 GT and Prokit, but I think it would be better on this car to swap them out when you lower it. On my '99, the Prokit made the ride better. On this one, the ride is stiffer (as I wanted it) but much less compliant. Sometimes I feel like a ricer with cut springs when I go over certain types of bumps in the road.[&o]
Old 03-21-2006, 07:09 PM
Hufenstang
4th Gear Member

love your wheels dude look great on that red.