Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car wash ideas

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 01:36 PM
Big McLargeHuge

Default Car wash ideas

Hey, everyone. I just picked up my new Tungsten 06 on Wednesday, and I'm loving it. However, I'm wondering what the best way to wash it is. My apartment building doesn't have a place I can wash it myself, so that's not an option. What kind of car washes are safe to bring my car to so the finish stays as good as it looks now? In case anyone knows of specific places, I live in Northern Virginia, near DC. Thanks!
Old 03-24-2006, 01:56 PM
Philostang
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Car wash ideas

Alright Tungsten!! Ok, I'm biased.

I find a California Duster does wonders for regular (daily or every other day) upkeep. Others may have different opinions.

Anyway, wait, isn't there a "Detailing" section you should ask this Q in?

Well, even so, I have a similar problem, and I take my car to the local wash-it-yourself pull in booth. I do NOT use their foaming brush, as those are some rough bristles. I bring my own cleaning mits/towels, etc. and only use their soap (high pressure wash for the wheel wells), and rinse, and wax. This method takes two start cycles, but that's plenty to pre-soak, soap, and then rinse etc.

Hope that helps.
Best,
-j
Old 03-24-2006, 01:57 PM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

In my neck of the woods, SF Bay Area, California, it doesn't rain alot during a chunk of the year. So, I cover the car when it is not in the garage and use products from this site: http://www.meguiars.com/

There Nxt Generation stuff is great, and the Detailer stuff and terry cloth towels allow you to clean and shine without water. I don't wash my car often, but, of course if really "grungy" then a wash must happen.
Old 03-24-2006, 02:01 PM
6xStang
3rd Gear Member

Citgo station in fairfax on route 29 next to the arthur treachers (near Blake road?) has the coin operated sprayers. There may also be a "touchless" car wash on Route 7 in Tysons near golfdom.

can you connect a hose to your kitchen or bathroom sink and run it out the window? That's what I did in my apartment days. I am a big beleiver in avoiding "contact" car washes at all costs.

spring time is coming; time for scantily clad teenagers from the high schools flagging you down for the fundraiser car washes.....
Old 03-24-2006, 02:05 PM
techmanBDsStang
3rd Gear Member

When I lived in North VA, and was in an apartment. I did what Philostang suggests. Take it to one of those do-it-yourself places. Don't use the soap brush, take your own. I lived in Lorton off of Fairfax County Parkway. Just south on the parkway on the left was one of them Do It Yourself places. That was in 96-97 so it could have chaged by now.
Old 03-24-2006, 04:11 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

ORIGINAL: techmanBDsStang

When I lived in North VA, and was in an apartment. I did what Philostang suggests. Take it to one of those do-it-yourself places. Don't use the soap brush, take your own. I lived in Lorton off of Fairfax County Parkway. Just south on the parkway on the left was one of them Do It Yourself places. That was in 96-97 so it could have chaged by now.

i do the same thing but i usually go at night when nobody will get pissed at you because they are waiting......most of those coin op places have signs that say "no towels or buckets to be used in bay" (or something like that).
Old 03-24-2006, 04:28 PM
Redfire
3rd Gear Member

I've been going to a place called Mister Car Wash for years with my Chevy truck. Never had any paint damage. I now take the Stang there. Nothin like sittin' on your mule, listenin' to the radio and gettin the car washed [decent job, too] in about 5 minutes. I have better things to do than spend all day cleanin the car!
Old 03-24-2006, 05:18 PM
Big McLargeHuge

I took my old car to Mr. Wash all the time. Since you take your Stang there, maybe I'll take a chance and bring mine there.
Thanks for everyone's advice!
Old 03-24-2006, 05:22 PM
blackout
5th Gear Member

Anybody that takes their car to a local carwash, let me know the outcome. I'm curious to know how good the job is and if any paint damage is done. That really sucks that you are unable to wash your car yourself, thats part of the fun in having a stang getting to give her a beautyful shine. You can always still wax her yourself.
Old 03-24-2006, 06:12 PM
techmanBDsStang
3rd Gear Member

Yeah, it is nice to wash your own, but with the rules of apartments, it can be difficult. Glad I don't have to worry about it anymore. But doing it myself, I can get irritated. One drop I see, after I have spent time drying it, and I get pissed.

For carwashes, I wouldn't got to one that have the spinning brushes. Find the brushless type. I worked at the brush type when I was in high school, and there was always stuff rippied off the car in the pit. Molding, antennas, badges, etc....

Quick Reply: Car wash ideas