Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

side window scoops or louvers?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 04:14 PM
stangster06
I ♥ Acer

Default side window scoops or louvers?

Hi All,

I have a new Black/Black 2006 GT and would like to add side window scoops or louvers. I tend to favor the louvers because they seem more aerodynamic (the scoops I have seen do not appear to be open to let air flow...)

Any suggestions or preferences - or things I should watch out for?

My other question is - should I get them painted from the vendor if possible (they charge about $150) or would an independent body shop (or dealer) be likely to offer a better price for painting?

Thanks for any feedback or opinions to help in decision.
Old 03-24-2006, 04:29 PM
sonicblue05
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: side window scoops or louvers?

they should be between 100-150 at a body shop, and i have heard that the vendors t\do a poor job painting them. The roush are good, as you can remove them if you want, the others actually glue onto the windows
Old 03-24-2006, 05:02 PM
stangster06
I ♥ Acer

Can you see out the rousch louvers? I really like the way they look + removeable.

Anyone know if the scoops available are hollow (allow air to flow?)

Any problems with water gettin stuck inside?

Thanks for any help!
Old 03-24-2006, 05:48 PM
CarsandCigars
1st Gear Member

stangster06:
I researched for awhile on these. Some have open louvers, some don't. For example the 3dcarbon has a louver window that uses a black out stick on the inside and on the outside, some stickers that look like mesh vents. I went with an open louver look. The water drains out through a small hole at the bottom of the louver. You can actually see out of them, not alot, but you can see. Below is a pic of my stang with the louvers. BTW, I had my painted by the shop. It cost $75, but was part of the total package price.

Good luck and welcome to Mustang heaven!

[IMG]local://upfiles/28895/6C949FCF59A7454DAFA79BC9E3268AE2.jpg[/IMG]
Old 03-24-2006, 06:42 PM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: stangster06

Can you see out the rousch louvers? I really like the way they look + removeable.

Any problems with water gettin stuck inside?

Thanks for any help!
You really can't see out of the Roush louvers, there are 3 small slits that you can see a little out of. No problems with water getting stuck in them as the edges aren't glued to the body like all the others. The only adhesive on the Roush Louvers is for the 3 brackets that hold each one on.
Old 03-24-2006, 07:46 PM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: stangster06

Hi All,

I have a new Black/Black 2006 GT and would like to add side window scoops or louvers. I tend to favor the louvers because they seem more aerodynamic (the scoops I have seen do not appear to be open to let air flow...)
I'm gonna say that it depends on the look you're going for. If you're looking to do a Shelby styled scheme........go with the scoops. If you're looking to do a 66-67 GT scheme, louvers work better. Also, if you do side panel scoops........do the quarter window scoops, don't do the louvers. It won't look right. Ask Chevykiller about it sometime.
Old 03-25-2006, 01:41 AM
VaporDude
5th Gear Member

No matter what kind you get, make sure they paint both sides. I hate looking at ugly from the inside out. If you are going after the 66-67 look, get the louvers. As far as water goes, make sure they leave a small gap at the bottom where the 3M tape goes. That way, there is somewhere for the water to drain.
Old 03-25-2006, 01:53 AM
BeeStang
3rd Gear Member

I've added the Saleen treatment... PICS to follow. No one will want to pay what I did, but my Ride will look very different, even though I didn't pay an extra 10 grand, lol... especially after a few more Saleen related phys mods. (hint wheels, tires, 1/4 window treatment, rear spoiler... Maybe even seat covers. Or, even a unique grill mod or headlight bucket mod, stay tuned. Another hint, the wheels you see in the pic go back on my Exoplorer next week, yes these have been on my stang until I decided what to rplace them with, and I'm not telling [&:], just wait and see.
Old 03-25-2006, 10:33 AM
jbailer
3rd Gear Member

I think it depends on the look you're going for. If you go with scoops, I would do upper and lower. I don't think airflow is really an issue, especially since neither is functional. If you go with the 1/4 window louvers, I wouldn't put a lower scoop on. I saw 1 Mustang I thought looked very nice with louvers, ducktail, hood scoop and a chin spoiler on the front. Simple but very nice. -Joe
Old 03-25-2006, 02:03 PM
stangster06
I ♥ Acer

Everyone - thanks for the replies and comments. I am so glad and proud to be a member of this forum.

CarsandCigars - the louvers you have are the ones I like the best right now! If you read this, can you please tell me what kind/brand they are (also where you got them if you ordered them painted.)

Like jbailer said, i want to keep the mods simple
- this would be one of my only exterior mods. Would love a good ducktail spoiler and maybe a nice hood scoop (n0n-functional) in the future. I have a black/Black 06 GT Premium and will post pics as soon as I can. Love to see everyones cars.

Thanks to all!

Cheers!

Quick Reply: side window scoops or louvers?