Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Damn first ticket.... by a mustang owning cop at that!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2006, 04:25 PM
MattyJ
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Damn first ticket.... by a mustang owning cop at that!

ORIGINAL: Truxtun

I am driving along in the right lane on a 4 lane highway (2 one way/2 the other) with no traffic around me. As I round the corner (doing the Speed Limit, mind you) I see 3 Cop cars in a row, with a car pulled over, and them handcuffing a guy on his trunk. So I immedialtly move to the left lane so as to avoid them and give them more room to do their stuff. One of the cops runs back to his car, turns on the lights and pulls me over!! Guess what for... ---> Not turning on my turn signal when I changed lanes!!! WTF!! I even explained why I moved over in a hurry... [:'(][:'(]
Now, I have a fair amount of respect for most cops (like lawman165 down up there) but this guy was just a jerkoff.

I've got a good story for you guys. I was driving to a job interview from Albany to New Haven, and I'm on the Masspike. Now you have to understand, this was in my old '91 cougar -- not a sporty looking car! So, I'm in the left lane, doin about 70 (I was worried about doing more cause I had just gotten tongue lashed by my mother from my last ticket). I'm going up a hill, and as I get to the top, theres a guy standing outside of a car (it was unmarked) who just starts waving me down. I honestly thought he had a flat tire and wanted some help. Now usually I would be inclined to help, but I was all dressed up for this interview, so I paid him no mind.

Well, the girl who I was driving with paid more attention to him and noticed he was a cop. So she goes, "I think he wants you to pull over!" So I pull over, he gets in his car and pulls up behind me. He walks up to my car, says nothing but "License and Registration" and starts walking away. I was not in the best of moods that morning (I had walked out to my car at 6:30 in the morning to find my front license plate stolen) so I say out the window to him as he's walking away "Uh, what was I pulled over for, sir?" He turns around, says "80 in a 65" and keeps walking back to his car. Now at this point, I'm livid. There was no way I was going 80. He comes back, hands me the "ticket" and tells me that he's writing me a ciatation. I can either pay the fine ($265!!) and the state of NJ (where I'm from) will never know about it or I can go and fight it in court. Well, I figure I'm never gonna win in some tiny town in the sticks of Mass, so I decide I'll just pay it.

But here's the best part! So I get to the company we're interviewing at, and we meet up with a bunch of other people from our school. We get to talking, and we find out that the same ****-ant cop pulled two other carloads over, at the same spot, doing the same speed. Now, I was pissed about having to pay the fine, but we all got a good laugh over how much of a loser this cop was!

Point of the story, don't drive on the Masspike at 7:30 in the morning!
Old 03-25-2006, 04:25 PM
BlackGTCoupe
1st Gear Member

IM lucky enough to live in the OC in southern cali, where every other person is an over indulgent, self absorbed millionaire it seems. Every other car on the road is a Benz E55, and BMW M5, SL55 and the like. Most weekdays i see a couple bentley GT's and Ferraris like its no big thing. Luckily im the runt of group so we can get away with murder out here most of the time. My GT looks cool, but in the scope of things the Highway patrol know im harmless in the company of about 1000 porsche turbos. I keep it under 85 and never usually get a second look. I feel bad for you guys up north or in the midwest and back east.....inclimate weather and smaller towns inhibit nice cars and fast drivers from being out and around all the time....im sure you get more negative attention than you deserve. Keep it safe boys, and dont worry, we all get our tickets from time to time. Remember....be nice, dont lie, and dont run! Cops hate that crap.
Old 03-25-2006, 04:29 PM
Missy
1st Gear Member

I have had two experiences with cops with my old mustang. (2000 6 cyl)...The first one was because this lady called the cops on me on the highway. I was drving along on my way home from nursing school in the left lane on the highway..she pulled out in front of me and slammed on the brakes and was driving 50. The Speed limit was 65. I tried to pass her on right and she went into right lane. I tried going back into left lane and she went into the left lane. Finally we came to a corner..I was going 90 and I passed her. She then called the cops and they pulled me over an exit or two away. The cop said the woman said I was trying to cut her off and stuff. I told the officer that my top speed was 65 MPH and that when I tried to go in any lane she would give me a brake job. He said, "I am giving you a written warning, because I know what these cars can do, I owned one." I said, "But officer, it's a 6 cyclinder." He was an old ***** cop.

My second experience I was going 80 in a 55mph zone..The cop was younger(And OMG hot...like you guys want to know that.) He asked me if I knew how fast I was going..I replied.."To be honest officer I'd say about 80 or 85 mph. You guys use laser now and my radar dectector didn't tell me until I actually saw you on the shoulder." He ran my plates and told me even the best radar detector won't pick up their laser guns in time. I told him people have to stop donated to the State Police so much, because their equipment is getting too advanced... So do you think I got a ticket?? He told me, "Well Melissa..don't ever let anyone tell you that honesty isn't the best policy. It saved you today. I am just letting you go with a verbal warning." I could have kissed him! (Not just because he was hot.)

With my car now..it is so hard to go the speed limit. I generally go about 80 on the highway...

As for your experience with this cop. Sounds like he didn't want to be chummy. He just wanted to give you a ticket, send you on your way, and find someone else to pull over.
Old 03-25-2006, 06:37 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

If you go to court chances are they will reduce the ticket unless he gave you the lowest fine possible. It depends on the judge. Know a friend that works with him and he can possibly drop it for you. The reasons he can give the judge is he wasn't absoultley certain that he read it correctly or that his radar was operating correctly. Yes I would have never wrote that ticket but they have quotas'.
ORIGINAL: zanemoseley

Yup I got one today going 75 in a 55 but its a stupid road. Its like an interstate where it's 4 lanes and really straight and not heavily traveled yet its considered a highway and the speed limit is only 55 in the spot I got the ticket. The real pisser was he owns a new 6'er. I say a real mustang fan wouldn't have given me a ticket but I guess thats just me. He even did a Uie to get me. Bastard. I wasn't even meaning to go fast but thats what happens when you have a smooth ridin' stang I suppose.
Old 03-25-2006, 06:49 PM
Mpaint99
2nd Gear Member

Next time your getting a ticket for speeding,(and not gonna get out of it)ask the cop the last time he calibrated his radar.Most cops dont even know how.My lawyer got me off on that techno.
Old 03-25-2006, 06:51 PM
Mpaint99
2nd Gear Member

Next time your getting a ticket for speeding,(and not gonna get out of it)ask the cop the last time he calibrated his radar.Most cops dont even know how.My lawyer got me off on that techno.
Old 03-25-2006, 06:56 PM
Scooter80
2nd Gear Member

If you're gonna ask that, wait till court. It won't do anything on the side of the road but guarantee a ticket. In court, you can try it but you are more likely to get off by simply going to court and hoping the cop calls in sick. Your best bet on the side of the road is to be nice and honest, admit your mistake, and show that you are humbled.... Even if you aren't. Smart remarks will get you nowhere!
Old 03-25-2006, 06:57 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

+1
Old 03-25-2006, 07:07 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

I've been pulled over twice, no tickets, but pulled over nonetheless.

1) I was coming back from an interview and I made a turn at the intersection... and naturally a lot of us have a little fun and accelerate more then your average vehicle... well, I get down the road about a half a mile, going the speed limit. I see a car rushing up behind me, and by then I know it's a cop and he's going to pull me over... (Since that is clearly their tactic.) So he comes up, and by then I've already got my stuff ready to hand to him, since I clearly know I didn't do anything wrong. So he goes... "You have no idea why I pulled you over?" and in the back of my head I'm thinking it was either because he caught me on my cellphone for a split second, or the fact that I have no front license plate... Though I respond with a calm. "No, not really officer." and he ... stupidly responds with. "I heard your tires squeal when you made your turn, and you accelerated rapidly..." the whole time I'm like. "Dude, do you have nothing better to do then harass me?" but I just try being respectful and so on. So I told him my tires didn't squeal, 1) because I didn't accelerate that hard, and 2) because I had Traction Control on. So he basically hands me back my stuff and tells me I can leave...

2) I was leaving from work, and I work in a small historic town so the buildings are close together... and with my exhaust setup it just echoes throughout the streets. Anyways, unless I let my car warm up, it's a little louder then if it was warm. So I pull out onto the road and I pass a cop. He makes a Uie right in the middle of this small road, with rush hour traffic (he of course used his lights) to come after me. The speed limit is only 25mph, and I was at the light to turn so I knew it was me he was coming after... again, I thought it was due to lack of license plate. So he pulls me over after I make my turn and then tells me my exhaust is way too loud... and I'm like. "It's a Muscle car, what do you expect." So he ends up being a Mustang lover, and we're talking about different exhausts because he said he has flowmasters on his and was wondering why I didn't get them. So I explain how horrible flowmaster's were for the new mustangs and so on. So we end up bull****ting for like 40 minutes, and all he did was write a report that he pulled me over but I was never given a ticket, or fined, or given a summons, or forced to change my exhaust, so that was pretty cool.

Like many others out there though, I've had a cop pull up to me from about 10 car lengths away, just to admire I guess... and then once they see I'm not doing anything they back down, turn off, or pass me... lol. A few nights ago I was heading home... and I see a car weaving in and out of traffic. The road wasn't packed at all, just a few of us... but this car comes up behind me... then flies past me, and continues on... way ahead. Probably going 120+ in a 50 mph because he was just booking... It ended up being a cop, with no lights on (emergency lights, not driving lights. lol)... and to me that is grounds for wreckless driving, oh and he passed me on a double line... I could understand if he got a call and had to drive away like that, but that would generally mean he would do that with lights on... If I did that, and a cop saw me... They'd probably want to impound my car and lock me up... lol. -- Granted I plan on being a cop here in the upcoming months, but I still don't agree with what he did.

So that's my story.
-Menace.
Old 03-25-2006, 09:02 PM
Scooter80
2nd Gear Member

Menace,
Good stories. Good luck on becoming a cop. When you do, you will have even more insight as to how things work on the "other side". There are probably many reasons that cop was driving the way he was without the lights. (Emergency Lighting can sometimes be detrimental to the job.) Maybe the cop didn't want to evoke knee-jerk reactions from the few drivers on the road and knew he could safely make the passes. Maybe he was getting close to the location of a hot call and didn't want to attract attention with flashing lights and a blazing siren. You'd be surprised how many dirtbags get away because they saw the lights coming from a mile away. Or maybe the Krispie Kreme "hot now" sign just flicked on.
Bottom line is you don't know and neither do I, but I'd like to give him the benefit just as I hope people give me the same when I pass as you described.

Quick Reply: Damn first ticket.... by a mustang owning cop at that!