Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

URGENT question

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 02:17 AM
BlackGTCoupe
1st Gear Member

Default URGENT question

URGENT question.,....Is adhesive promoter going to ruin the paint on the outside of my car for a hood scoop and quarter scoops?

-Christian
Old 04-04-2006, 02:43 AM
GT350 Rider

Default RE: URGENT question

When in doubt, read the precautions on the adhesive promoter can. If it is made by a known manufacturer, (i.e. 3M) it should not be a problem. As far as I know, the purpose of adhesive promoter is to provide a squeeky clean paint surface, free of car wax, road grime and any oily film so the double stick tape will adhere the best it can.

With a black paint surface, you will probably have to re-wax the area cleaned by the adhesive promoter to match the surrounding waxed area.

Bill
Old 04-04-2006, 03:18 AM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

ORIGINAL: GT350 Rider

When in doubt, read the precautions on the adhesive promoter can. If it is made by a known manufacturer, (i.e. 3M) it should not be a problem. As far as I know, the purpose of adhesive promoter is to provide a squeeky clean paint surface, free of car wax, road grime and any oily film so the double stick tape will adhere the best it can.

With a black paint surface, you will probably have to re-wax the area cleaned by the adhesive promoter to match the surrounding waxed area.

Bill
Somebody knows his way around a body shop
Old 04-04-2006, 01:25 PM
BlackGTCoupe
1st Gear Member

My adhesive promotoer IS 3M, however it warns that it is highly corrosive. I dont want to remove stick on body parts 2 years from now and find out the entire paint job is destroyed on the hood or rear quarters. Thoughts....?

-C
Old 04-04-2006, 02:50 PM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

I'm not adding any components like this; CDC said use rubbing alcohol to clean area (it's about as mild a solution as you can use) I would just use that or wax remover; no way would I put anything on the paint with corrosive qualities; you'll be lucky if the 3M tape doesn't cause some minor issue over long period of time; but that would likely just be discoloration/fading of the clear which will buff right out when that day comes. I would think a clean wax free surface is all you need.
Old 04-04-2006, 03:39 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

ORIGINAL: BlackGTCoupe

My adhesive promotoer IS 3M, however it warns that it is highly corrosive. I dont want to remove stick on body parts 2 years from now and find out the entire paint job is destroyed on the hood or rear quarters. Thoughts....?

-C
You have a choice then. Take your chances with the adhesion promoter ruining your paint or take a chance that your new parts will fly off.

Seriously, I would call their customer service line and ask about your concerns.
Old 04-04-2006, 06:32 PM
Getaway
2nd Gear Member

It probably won't matter in the long run anyways because when you do decide to remove the scoop later, all the paint around it will be oxidized and/or faded.
Old 04-05-2006, 12:09 AM
BlackGTCoupe
1st Gear Member

fading and oxidation are miniscule problems in comparison to actual corrosion of the clear coat and potentially the paint underneath. Is there really no experience with this to be spoken for from anyone else? Any help before i do the deed would be appreciated

-Christian