Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Louder??

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 01:40 AM
STANMAN
4th Gear Member

Default Louder??

How can I get louder? I have Loudmouths, other than that the exhaust is stock. I also have a CAI and Evo performance tune, which makes the car a little louder, but I want more. I have to keep cats, as the car does have to pass emissions, and they require them here. I don't want to pay the huge amount of cash for headers, but would if that were the only alternative. How about a different H pipe?? Would it make much of a difference?? I don't like the way X pipes sound, so they are out. Suggestions please!!!
Old 04-05-2006, 01:46 AM
burnout42
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Louder??

Well, you could put a broom stick through your cats, then get some o2 simulators and still probably pass emissions if you have a good tune. If you don't want to do that you could get some high flow cats. Then you can get long tube headers. You could also get a new x or h pipe with high flow cats on them. Any of these will get the beast louder.
Old 04-05-2006, 11:38 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Like Burnout said, you can always install high-flow cats. That will make your exhaust louder and still allow you to pass emissions.

Or, you could swap out the SLPs for some louder mufflers. Various companies make very small mufflers intended for race cars. They don't do very much muffling, but they are used whever the rules mandate that you have to run a muffler of some kind. Consider any of the really short "bullet" or glasspack mufflers, such as the Dynatech Split-Flow, Borla XR-1 series, Dynomax Ultra-Flo, Flowmaster single-chamber Delta Force, Flowmaster Outlaw bullets, Moroso Spiral-Flow, etc.
Old 04-05-2006, 12:23 PM
burnout42
1st Gear Member

I don't think your gonna find any mufflers that are louder than the SLP Loudmouth. The are pretty much just straight pipes. The cats are really the next big noise inhibitor in your exaust. Get some high flow cats, or gut yours.
Old 04-05-2006, 12:27 PM
6xStang
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CrazyAl

Like Burnout said, you can always install high-flow cats. That will make your exhaust louder and still allow you to pass emissions.

Or, you could swap out the SLPs for some louder mufflers. Various companies make very small mufflers intended for race cars. They don't do very much muffling, but they are used whever the rules mandate that you have to run a muffler of some kind. Consider any of the really short "bullet" or glasspack mufflers, such as the Dynatech Split-Flow, Borla XR-1 series, Dynomax Ultra-Flo, Flowmaster single-chamber Delta Force, Flowmaster Outlaw bullets, Moroso Spiral-Flow, etc.
I think the only way you can get "louder" mufflers than slps is if they come with a microphone, an amp, and speakers.....
Old 04-05-2006, 12:56 PM
praztek
3rd Gear Member

Would this have any effect?

http://www.dagostinoracing.com/index...oducts_id=7781

Old 04-05-2006, 02:17 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: praztek

Would this have any effect?

http://www.dagostinoracing.com/index...oducts_id=7781

I have no idea what that is. Some kind of replacement for the factory H-pipe? I suspect it would alter the sound some, but I don't think the change will be that big. Your stock cats are definatley the main restriction right now.

As for the mufflers, you would be suprised. Most of the mufflers that I mentioned are barely 5 or 6 inches long, and have little, if any, packing. Of course, they are generic mufflers so to install them you'd have to have someone cut up your current exhaust to weld them in place.
Old 04-05-2006, 02:21 PM
Furinox
4th Gear Member

get one of those offroad pipes that come in several pieces where you can unclamp and put your cats back in within a few minutes.
Old 04-05-2006, 06:10 PM
LesteR723
5th Gear Member

you can A) run open headers
B) get glasspacks
C) take your pipes off and shoot them wiht a shotgun
D) (probably better) hollow out your cats and then put them back...
Old 04-05-2006, 08:24 PM
andyman
4th Gear Member

get some longtube headers and high flow cats, or an o/r pipe.

Quick Reply: Louder??