Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Handling

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 01:15 AM
Hiboost
2nd Gear Member

Default Handling

Ok, I had a heavily modified WRX that was an excellent driver. I was disappointed in the Mustang GT at first. Today, I installed my Roush rear springs and my front and rear Hellwig sway bars. What a difference....unbelivable....night and day....

Just a little side note, I think that there is enough space on the front sway bars ends to drill another hole or two closer to the bar which in effect would make the bar react stiffer....
Old 04-09-2006, 01:25 AM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Handling

Coming from owning a heavily modded WRX, I'd think that you would know suspension geometry better than many of us. I'm sure there are a few ways to stiffen this ride up plenty more than what the aftermarket is giving us so far. If that's what you seek, then it may be worth you're while to try it
Old 04-09-2006, 01:38 AM
PonyGT2005
2nd Gear Member

Had the same reaction after putting on my Steeda suspension upgrades..you did not mention, but I suspect you kept the stock struts/shocks?
Old 04-09-2006, 01:47 AM
0to60
2nd Gear Member

PonyGT2005,

Which Steeda springs did you get? Do you have the ultra-lite ones or the more aggressive sport ones? How is the ride quality? I can't decide between Steeda and Eibach.

As for the sway bars, Hiboost, are the Hellwigs much better than the stock GT ones? I have a sixer and am debating between getting GT takeoffs or going for the Hellwigs.

Thanks guys!
Tim
Old 04-09-2006, 02:49 AM
PonyGT2005
2nd Gear Member

Hey 0to60..I went with the Ultralites...had to go conservative on the drop due to extremely steep driveway. I've also go the Tokico shocks so drive quality is superb. A friend put just the springs on and is pretty happy with it though its quite a bit firmer than stock.

Hiboost, I'll be interested to hear if you mod the front sway bar as you suggested.
Old 04-09-2006, 04:56 PM
Juntech
3rd Gear Member

Hiboost, can you give a more in depth description of your experiences with a mustang's handling? I'm coming from a moderately modified import as well. Please, i would like to know more.

Thanx
-Jun-
Old 04-09-2006, 06:55 PM
GT John
3rd Gear Member

Yeah, Ive been thinking about the gas doors.

I think I'm going with the locking door and then have it painted the same color as the car.

Old 04-09-2006, 07:01 PM
GT John
3rd Gear Member

Ooops

Sorry about posting in the wrong place.
Old 04-10-2006, 05:38 PM
Hiboost
2nd Gear Member

I am not the Average Driver by far...Please Note that before reading further.... Disclaimer.... I am not saying I am the best driver in the world or U.S.A. I have had some training and experience on most surfaces with every type of vehicle.

I could drift my WRX with the suspension setup on it and it was AWD. I loved the setup...more rear gear to use throttle lag to help the car rotate in the corner and a HUGE rear sway. The Mustang was a Pig going in and out of corners. The very small 235 tires are the next issure of concern because I feel like they cannot handle the improvement the sway bars made.

I set the rear bar to the inner hole (max) and the front to the middle.

Before Larger Sways - Pig in and out of turns and I would never even move in the flat seats.

After - I find myself struggling to stay in the seat where I need to be to drive... TURN IN IS INSTANT!!! from the rear bar. The car rides like it did before. I only replaced the rear springs. The rear bar alone was a little much, even for me. It might have been ok with 10.5' rear wheels and tires. The car is balanced now and can slide controllably in and out of curves.

One problem still is coming into and out of the corner. Now with more handling, the car wants to understeer due to the throttle making the front end light and the small front tires. The point is this: Learn to left foot brake and you will smoke a road course with some stickys, sways, and rear springs in a stock car. The car FEELS much faster now on the street because it WILL turn instead of plowing the front end.

If cost is an issue: Buy a rear aftermarket bar or GT bar. If the GT front bar is larger get it. There is some room on the end to drill two more holes. Moving the endlink mounting point closer to the bar, shortens the arm length that flexes and makes the bar stiffer.
Old 04-10-2006, 05:39 PM
Hiboost
2nd Gear Member

BTW: I got the rear Roush springs from Stage 3 Motorsports....GREAT SELLER> My order got messed up and they took care of the situation....Would buy from again....

Quick Reply: Handling