Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dash rattling and squeeking

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 01:55 PM
linernotejunky
2nd Gear Member

Default dash rattling and squeeking

so when i go over bumps or even the road braille, theres a rattling and a squeeking coming from inside the upper front part of the dash. when i hold it down, it goes away. its almost like its not securely fastened to the other dash pieces and could use some tightening.

anyway i can do this myself, or do i have to take it to the tools at the dealership?

cheers.
Old 04-18-2006, 03:23 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

Default RE: dash rattling and squeeking

congratulations.....you own a Mustang. [8D]

Yeah, the dash rattles and squeeks are common among us. I got tired of the dealer not doing anything to fix it and just rolled up some blach electrical tape into a very small wedge shape and squeezed it into a couple of cracks which seemed to stop all the squeeking.
Old 04-18-2006, 03:31 PM
linernotejunky
2nd Gear Member

thats not going to be fun. i suppose its nothing some music can't cover.
Old 04-18-2006, 03:34 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Have the dealer fix it. It's probably the cowl (plastic piece between the windshield and your hood) on the outside of your car is loose. It sounds like it's from the inside but it's probably not. Dealer went round and round with me when I bought my new car back in '99 and it NEVER went away.

They will try to say "give it a break in period" or wait and maybe it will just go away. Don't! Have them fix it and don't take no for an answer.
Old 04-18-2006, 05:34 PM
The Ghost
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Derf00

Have the dealer fix it. It's probably the cowl (plastic piece between the windshield and your hood) on the outside of your car is loose. It sounds like it's from the inside but it's probably not. Dealer went round and round with me when I bought my new car back in '99 and it NEVER went away.

They will try to say "give it a break in period" or wait and maybe it will just go away. Don't! Have them fix it and don't take no for an answer.
May be the best thing I've read today. I just recently had my windshield replaced and I now have a very annoying rattle that almost sounds like it is coming frome behind the drivers side front fender. Never had it before. I will be checking that out today. Thanks!!
Old 04-19-2006, 01:43 PM
BeeStang
3rd Gear Member

Mine just recently started with the warm weather. It's coming from the drivers side dash vent. Hopefully it can be fixed without creating any new rattles or sqeeks.
Old 04-19-2006, 04:18 PM
rex7010
3rd Gear Member

Grease at the pillar and the dash .. (where the meet, fixed mine ) I did use Honda caliper slide pin grease .. Ford has the same thing.. but very expensive .. but so was the Honda stuff.. ( I was a Honda mechanic for years .. flame away.. lol ) there is a difference in grease .. silicone will fade away..

Rex
Old 04-19-2006, 04:43 PM
Timmay!!!
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rex7010

Grease at the pillar and the dash .. (where the meet, fixed mine ) I did use Honda caliper slide pin grease .. Ford has the same thing.. but very expensive .. but so was the Honda stuff.. ( I was a Honda mechanic for years .. flame away.. lol ) there is a difference in grease .. silicone will fade away..

Rex
Will the Dealer not cover this under warranty? I've had the a rattle however I've been assuming it's was suspension related especially after the dealership found 1 of my rear struts bent and the other leaking.
Old 04-19-2006, 04:58 PM
Scaught
2nd Gear Member

Dealers suck, you will just waste your time with them. Do what you can yourself. this is nothing major.
Old 04-19-2006, 05:36 PM
Steven6095
3rd Gear Member

Sent my dealer an email with the list of all my rattles.
Loaner car (focus) will be waiting on me Monday and they say they are going to take care of everything for me

My car will also be spotless when I pick it up! They detail the cars and I mean they flat out detail them! They do it the right way and they look great.

Quick Reply: dash rattling and squeeking