Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kenne Bell Problem Found & Fixed

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 01:07 PM
sidmanic
2nd Gear Member

Default Kenne Bell Problem Found & Fixed

This is something that happened to me last night.
Last night, after driving the car off and on that day, I went for a drive down to the store only to discover that my SC wasn't making any boost. I was working fine all day with no problems. I had not worked on or touched the engine. It just stopped making boost. At full throttle, the boost gauge read 0. First thing I looked at was what the vacuum was at idle. It was 22 to 23. I had read that 20 or higher meant you didn't have a vacuum leak. I checked the inter-cooler, SC oil level and looked for anything obvious. I could find nothing. Started thinking about the fact that everything seemed to be operating fine but no boost so I took a look at the relief valve thinking this might have something to do with it or the "Valet" mode. To this point, I had never used or read the direction on how to operate the supercharger in "Valet" mode. After going over the directions and finding the components involved, I found that the relief valve was stuck in Valet mode. The small 2mm Allen set screw used to lock the relief valve had moved due to vibration and had inadvertently locked the relief valve in Valet mode. I could also see a semi-circular mark scratched into the metal where the set screw had been rubbing for some time. I'm not sure but this might of had something to do with the surge problem that I had stated above. I also noticed that the butterfly valve actuator loose. This is the part with the set screw that faces up when the bypass valve in in the normal position. You could move the butterfly valve actuator around on the relief valve shaft. I think that this might have been contributing to the other problem with the Valet set screw rubbing against the side of the assembly and causing the relief valve to stick from time to time and finally locking itself in valet mode because of vibrations. I re-tightened the butterfly valve actuator to the valve shaft with the set screw then I applied a small amount of loctite to the other 2mm set screw used for locking the relief valve and made sure that it wouldn't interfere with the normal operation of the relief valve. I then test drove the car and it worked as it did before.
For anyone out there that's got a Kenne Bell, you might want to give this a quick look to make sure this ain't happening to you.
hasta
Old 04-25-2006, 03:20 PM
MacGyverGTP
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Kenne Bell Problem Found & Fixed

Great info! Thanks!
Old 08-25-2007, 12:54 PM
black stang

Default RE: Kenne Bell Problem Found & Fixed

Thanks for the info...

Actually I was trying to find "Valet" mode information for the KB and only found your post.

I thrid party installed the SC on my stang, and I was not able to find the place , instructions, etc to operate properly the "Valet Mode". I am really lost on this, do you have happen to have any picture or something that can lead me to identify it?

Best Regards!!!