Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 Questions...

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2006, 07:46 PM
nickd06
1st Gear Member

Default 2 Questions...

1st: Rear Differential...I had the option to ge it on my Saleen and of course the salesman couldn't explain it to me other than "it will let you take turns faster", what eaxactly is it? and now that i have my car without one on it, if i choose to can i install it?

2nd: I have a black car and have a hell of a time keeping it clean, just sitting in the garage a couple days there is a layer of dust on it...what are the best products (wax, cleaner, etc) to help it from getting dirty so fast, i dont like washing my car on a saturday then keeping it in the garage so it doesnt get dirty, take it out on tuesday and feel like i have to go wash the damn thing again because it has dust on it now!

3rd: sorry just thought of this one, i take my car to a spot free car wash...i saw a commercial for mr clean or something that you can buy and hook onto your hose and make it spot free as well, wondering if anyone has tried this out, if so let me know what you think.
Old 04-30-2006, 07:57 PM
LEJAY
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: 2 Questions...

Can't answer the "diff" question. But, MEGUAIR'S has a "how to" questionaire that allows you to choose a detailing plan specifically for your needs and driving habits. You answer the ?, and they design and recommend a plan to use their products to suit you.

CHECK IT OUT on their site.
Old 04-30-2006, 07:59 PM
W1ldcat
3rd Gear Member

If it's just dust, I bought one of those dusters that look like a floor dust mop. Mine was made by Turtle Wax and it does do more than just move the dust around. It picks it up.
WC
Old 04-30-2006, 08:35 PM
stangintheblue
1st Gear Member

I have the MR. Clean car wash nozzle and stuff. It works really good, for me it has at least. You wash your car like you normaly would then when ur done you switch the nozzle to rinse mode and it filters out any minerals in your water so it doesnt spot ur car. And it dries really quick. I love not having to dry it off anymore. From what i can see it doesnt spot but i have a car that doesnt show spots real good so i dont know what it would be like on a black car since black shows EVERYTHING lol. Its kind of expensive though cuz you need to buy certain soap for it or you will damage the nozzle and the bottles are sort of small and expensive and you need to replace the filter every 5-10 washes i think. Anyway just my experience with it.

Dustin
Old 04-30-2006, 10:30 PM
BLACK06GT4ME
2nd Gear Member

Sorry cant help with the diff ?. The California Duster is a life saver between washes. Black is the hardest to keep looking great but it's worth the effort. Meguiars products and microfiber towels are the best route for car care. I get a little **** about my stang but the dust problem eased up a bit after I really cleaned the garage thoroughly. I even vaccumed the garage floor and it reduced the dusting time and frequency. Black is the best color (IMO) but it takes alot of work (labor of love) to keep it up to par.
Old 04-30-2006, 10:57 PM
rex7010
3rd Gear Member

I THINK on the Rear Differential.. they wanted to know what gear you wanted in your car...
that is just a guess..??? I have a auto trans car.. I put in 4.10's .. to much .. so I went with 3.73's gears.. can you due the job..?? I don't think so if you are asking this type of question..

PLEASE don't take that as a slam as it is not meant to be. just trying to be honest with you..

best of luck

Rex
Old 05-01-2006, 02:46 AM
nickd06
1st Gear Member

it's not a slam at all, but the rear diff. isnt the gears from what i think it is an extra stablizer in the rear of the car, like an extra bar or something of that sort...thanks for all the advice on cleaning the car, i agree black is the best color (IMO) but damn its a ***** to keep clean!
Old 05-01-2006, 02:57 AM
nbk13nw
2nd Gear Member

The differential is the thing that works both drive axles at the same time, but lets them rotate at different speeds so that the car can make turns. When a car makes a turn, the outer wheel has to turn faster than the inner wheel, due to the difference in the length of the paths they take. The differential is located between the two wheels, and is attached to each wheel by a half-shaft rotated through a bevel gear. Four-wheel drive cars have a separate differential for each pair of wheels. A grooved, or splined, axle side gear is positioned on the splined end of each axle. The side gears are driven by "spider" gears, which are little gears mounted on a shaft attached to the differential case. As it is supported by the differential case, the side gear can turn inside the case. The differential case can be turned, revolving around the axle gears. The differential pinion (a pinion is a small gear that either drives a larger gear or is driven by one) shaft turns the ring gear, which is fastened to the differential case. The propeller shaft (drive shaft) connects the transmission output shaft to the differential pinion shaft. The turning differential case is mounted on two large bearing holders. These bearings are called carrier bearings. The propeller shaft rotates the ring gear pinion, and the pinion turns the ring gear. The ring gear then turns the differential case and pinion shaft, but the axle side gears will not turn. By passing the differential pinion shaft through two differential pinion gears that mesh with the side gears, the case will turn and the axle side gears will turn with it. During turns, the side gears turn at rates dictated by the radius of the turns, and the spider gears then turn to allow the outer wheel to turn faster than the inner one.

As per Google... hehe [:-]
Old 05-01-2006, 03:04 AM
nbk13nw
2nd Gear Member

As for care care products... there are too mahy choices out there. All I can say is that keeping up with the paint is something that keeps the car looking its best. I have over 30K miles on mine now.

There are several forum that have great info on products and techniques... Autogeek andAutopia are good places to start.

I recently went toa local body shop to have some scratches from someone purposely taking rocks to my hood. THey told me that there was no repairing the damage. I purchased a DA PC7336 from lowes for $109.00, pads from Autogeek for about $87.00 and more product from Zaino Brothers and Optimum and Poorboys products. In all I spent about $250.00. I wet sanded the hood, and then buffed it out over about a 5 hour period. Looks better than new and I have plenty left over to do the entire car now... All of this for less than a repaint of the hood...
Old 05-01-2006, 03:13 AM
LEJAY
I ♥ Acer

Help me out on the hood repair. Were the scratches down to the base ? When you "wetsanded" where did the clearcoat go ?

Quick Reply: 2 Questions...