Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remote Start Problem on 05-06 Mustangs

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 08:42 PM
sdwndr
1st Gear Member

Default Remote Start Problem on 05-06 Mustangs

I just called my remote start place to set up an appointment to have a remote start and alarm installed on my 06 GT.

The guy told me there is a transponder in the key that allows the car to be started, otherwise it won't start. In order to get a remote start, I have to hide the key somewhere in the car in some kind of a box (I am assuming they will hide this well in some out of the way place).

Are there any security issues with this? That transponder thing is kind of a nice feature, can that even prevent someone from hot wiring the car or something, or is a determined car thief going to find a way to start the car anyway? Or am I just going to be making it easier on them by doing this?

Old 05-08-2006, 10:10 PM
W1ldcat
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Remote Start Problem on 05-06 Mustangs

I had Ford do mine on my 04 Explorer for that reason. Usually there is an extra charge is all I thought..
Old 05-08-2006, 10:37 PM
F00Mustang
3rd Gear Member

I actually run a very well known car audio shop in the new orleans area, and the dealer you spoke with is correct. The transponder in the key will keep your car from starting unless the computer sees the correct signal. Don't worry about hiding the key in the dash. It's very common practice in many car's on the road today. Some vehicles have modules whic can be programmed to send out the same signal as the key, leaving your spare car on your keyrack where it belongs. As of now, as far as I know, i do not have access to a unit which will operate the new mustang, f-150, or some of the other new ford vehicles. I am a Viper and Prestige dealer and have been assured by both that they arein the works.

Your biggest concern shuldn't be security issues, but the price of buying a spare key from ford to put into the module.

Incedentally, the model # for the Viper module is a 556U, which you can find for anywhere from $30-$50 plus usually a small extra labor cost.
Old 05-08-2006, 11:50 PM
sdwndr
1st Gear Member

Sounds like you are a good person to ask, thanks for the reply.

My concern is less that someone will physically find the key and use it, but that it might make it easier to steal the car through some other means.

For instance, if a thief goes to hot wire my car when my keys are far away, will they not be able to since the transponder is not sending out the signal? Or do they have a way of getting around that anyway?

If this was a truly effective anti-theft device, I would hate to ruin that by putting a key in my dash.

As a last question, where exactly do they hide the key? Is it pretty hard to find/get to?

I am getting the Clifford version, and the guy said it would be an extra $50, I'll do it if I have to...
Old 05-09-2006, 12:29 AM
F00Mustang
3rd Gear Member

Clifford is now owned by directed electronics, which is the parent company of Viper, Python, Orion, Directed, PPI and a slew of other companies. If the shop you are using is a clifford installer, than they know what they are doing.

As far as hot wiring the car, don't worry. The box only send the signal into the ignition when the remote start tells it to. Most thiefs don't try to hot wire new cars. If they are going to steel a new car, they will usually use a flatbead, which you can't do much about. The key will be hidden usually underneath or around your steering column or behind the radio. Dont' worry about theives trying to find it. Remember, a thief's goal is get in, and get the car started in as little time as possible. They don't want to waste time trying to figure out an alarm. And unless you're an installer, you'll never be able to figure out which wire does what on a remote start system. I've been doing this a long time, and I still take a minute to figure out the wiring when I pull a dash apart. In my experience, all a thief will do if even after setting off the alarm he still wants your car, he will simply start yanking wires from under your dash, or he will quickly pop your hood and cut your siren.

Incedentally, I recommend adding a 515R (the dealer will know what I'm talking about). It's an extra siren under the hood which has it's own battery built in, therefore will remain going off even if cut off from the brain. The only way to disable it is a physical key which you will be given upon install. This piece should set you back about $85 with install.

As far as the extra $50, that price is right, and yes, you have to. Talk to your dealership and inquire about the possibility of a Valet Key. I don't know if they make them for the Mustang, but they are usually cheaper than a band new key. Basically it's a key that only start's the car.
Old 05-09-2006, 01:08 AM
sdwndr
1st Gear Member

Great advice, thanks again.

I was thinking about getting the 520T backup battery, I had not heard of the 515R.

I guess if the 520T only keeps the regular siren running, it won't help much if the thief deactivates the siren, so it sounds like the 515R might be a better option. I suppose if I get the 515R, there would be no need for the 520T?

And are the hood locks effective? Any idea the usual cost for that?
Old 05-09-2006, 02:04 AM
F00Mustang
3rd Gear Member

No, the 520T is a battery which keeps the entire system running. It's also a great piece but if I remember the cost on it is considerably more expensive. In the end they will both do pretty much the same thing if power is disconnected.

I don't know what you're talking about with hood locks, unless you mean the locks used with carbon fiber hoods to hold the hood on at high speed. A hood pin, however, is a great investment. Lucky for you, a hood pin is mandatory for safety on any remote start alarm system. It will not only give more security, but it will also prevent the engine from remote starting while you may be under the hood.

Also pop for the remote trunk release for $50, you'll thank me later.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:49 AM
sdwndr
1st Gear Member

Would you recommend the 520T or the 515R?

Sounds like the 515R will guarantee that siren keeps going off (has its own battery, requires key to turn off), but the 520T maybe won't if the thief cuts the wire to the siren? What is the benefit to keeping the entire system running as opposed to just the siren?

The hood lock was listed in the Matrix RS3.5 manual, sounds like it is just a lock that requires a key to get into the hood, to prevent the thief from messing around under there.

Old 05-10-2006, 11:42 AM
Furinox
4th Gear Member

how much does remote start cost? Could you somehow sue it in conjuction with a push start button also?
Old 05-10-2006, 04:43 PM
F00Mustang
3rd Gear Member

Most shops will probably charge around $400 installed for the system starting. Plus you need the bypass modules and possibly some other pieces to get the job done right, which can make the prices go a little higher,

Quick Reply: Remote Start Problem on 05-06 Mustangs