Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New GT....License plate brackets missing??

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2006, 09:08 PM
classj
4th Gear Member

Default New GT....License plate brackets missing??

I got my plates in the mail the other day from the dealer because they are like 90 minutes away. Went to install them today and I realized that there are no plate brackets on the car.

Is there supposed to be any?? The dealer's plates were just screwed onto the body.

As it stands now, the front and rear plate would just tighten against the paint on the car and scratch the crap out of it. Most other cars have brackets to stand the plate off the body a bit to prevent damage and vibration.

Are mine missing or is this a design flaw??

I put some rubber washers under the back plate to space it out a bit and keep it off the paint for now. I just threw the front plate in the trunk for now until I figure it out. I havent decided whether to run a front plate or not yet anyway.

So am I missing parts guys, or what?

Thanks,
Nick

Old 05-14-2006, 09:18 PM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

Default RE: New GT....License plate brackets missing??

Nope your not missing anything. I discovered the same thing a few days ago and removed the dealer plate frame for that reason you mentioned. Like you I plan on sticking some rubber washers behind it once i get my plates. As for the front it is suppose to be the exact same way and I do not plan on installing a plate until it becomes and issue with a ticket. I did see someone on Ebay selling a temp front bracket mount that could be easily installed and removed for getting fix it tickets signed off.

Richard
Old 05-14-2006, 09:33 PM
LEJAY
I ♥ Acer

Yup, this is one thing FORD screwed up. The majority of states don't require a front, so FORD didn't consider that. The front plate really screws up the look of the car. and...... I agree, run, until it becomes an issue.

Tacky, as this may seem, I've thought about putting the fr pl on the passenger visor with rubber bands, rather than driil holes in the bumper.

There are alot of brackets available, just shop around for something you like.

FRONT PLATES suck
Old 05-14-2006, 09:40 PM
classj
4th Gear Member

Thanks.

Just seems so cheesy.

As far as the front plate. Two trains of thought with that. Either a cop will give you a ticket for that in liu of a speeding ticket. OR, they will pull you over because of that and give you a ticket for both.

I have heard of both happening at about equal frequency. So who knows. Maybe I will try running without one for a while. Whats the fine, $50.00 usually?

Old 05-14-2006, 09:46 PM
LEJAY
I ♥ Acer

Not sure what the fine is.

On second thought, just say "no sh**, my front plate is gone? Somebody musta stole it, or it fell off"
Old 05-14-2006, 09:50 PM
Lone_Star_Stang
1st Gear Member

Carry around your front plate with double sided adhesive tape on the back. Get it all dirtyish looking and used, and plenty of crud on the double sided tape, maybe stick it to something and rip it off. Bend a lower corner of if. Then next time you are pulled over and they say "no front plate eh?" -- Pull it out and say that it was falling off at the last stop you made and you didn't want it to be a hazard to other motorists if it fell off on the highway. Works every time.
Old 05-14-2006, 09:58 PM
LEJAY
I ♥ Acer

CHA CHING !!!!!! Great idea.
TY
Old 05-14-2006, 09:59 PM
classj
4th Gear Member

Problem is that the car I found already has the holes drilled for the plate so unless I just say the bracket is missing or broke, the holes are there for the plate.

Wierd, every other dealer I was at left the front plate off all their Gt's in stock. My luck, I find the perfect car, and it already has the holes drilled on the lot.

Took me a while to realize that the V6 cars all have a plate recess and the GT doesent.
Old 05-15-2006, 01:53 AM
praztek
3rd Gear Member

That'll work, unless you get pulled over twice by the same police officer!

Old 05-15-2006, 03:19 AM
MattyJ
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: praztek

That'll work, unless you get pulled over twice by the same police officer!

Or unless the officer has somewhat of a brain. Saying that is like when people call up doctors and say that they "dropped their container of valium, codeine, oxycodone, etc in the toilet" and may they have a new presription. They know the tricks and can see right through them.

Quick Reply: New GT....License plate brackets missing??