Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Different Gas companies.. is there really a diff?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 12:22 PM
Treatz
2nd Gear Member

Default Different Gas companies.. is there really a diff?

Hey everyone.

I'm sure you've heard it all before where x is better then y because X has less sulphur etc etc etc.
does anyone have any actual concrete proof or ratings of the different gas companies in the US and, more specifically, Canada?

is there a consumers reports or independent tests done on Esso, Sunoco, Petro Canada, Shell etc etc etc to determine which company has what?...

Old 05-19-2006, 12:45 PM
6xStang
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Different Gas companies.. is there really a diff?

I don;t have any recent data, but in the old days (the 1980's), the regular and mid-grades of gasoline were all the same and were bought at auction from the same suppliers (though the pre-retail quality testing may have varied by vendor). the premium grades were subjected to additional prcesses regarding detergents, additives, etc. Amoco "Gold" used to be known as "white gas" since it was the only "clear" premium fuel at one time......

I have not paid attention in years so I don;t know what the business looks like these days.

D
Old 05-19-2006, 12:56 PM
puppet
1st Gear Member

Same base. Chevron uses different additives than most of the industry. I hate Chevron, but their stuff is supposed to be better. Quik Trip apparently uses them too. Try google.
Old 05-19-2006, 07:53 PM
Andys06GT
2nd Gear Member

tell ya what, ive asked those questions and researched it since i bought my steed and it recommended BP. im yet to get a reply from ANY oil company regarding additives, actual octane ratings, or anything that has to due with the quality of their product. researching it online, havent come up with anything other than where the oil they use is drilled. and not suprisingly, most american gas companies dont use american gas. hmm. cool.
Old 05-19-2006, 09:23 PM
austijc
2nd Gear Member

Everything I've read pretty much says it's all marketing and all that really matters is getting the appropriate octane rating for the compression you're running.
Old 05-19-2006, 09:38 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

Gasoline has a shelf life just like anything else. It will lose octane over time, so when youre buying 94 if its been there for a while, its actually 89 octane. BP is the only company that actually date ships their fuel. So usually BP will have better gas.
-P.
Old 05-19-2006, 09:47 PM
austijc
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: P Zero

Gasoline has a shelf life just like anything else. It will lose octane over time, so when youre buying 94 if its been there for a while, its actually 89 octane. BP is the only company that actually date ships their fuel. So usually BP will have better gas.
-P.
Since everyone pulls it out of the same pipelines, I'm not sure how BP could really be different as far as age.
Old 05-19-2006, 09:49 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

Hmm.. really? I coulda swore that BP got it from a different source.
Old 05-19-2006, 10:04 PM
austijc
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: P Zero

Hmm.. really? I coulda swore that BP got it from a different source.
Actually I don't really know. I'm just going on what Discovery Channel tells me Basically all the refineries feed into the national pipeline network. If you put X gallons of Y product type in, you can pull that same amount into your delivery trucks at the destination on the same day even if what you pumped in might not get there for a few days. What actually goes to your gas stations may or may not have come from your refineries. They do mix in their additives after getting it from the pipeline which is where the differences may be.
Old 05-19-2006, 10:12 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

Love the Discovery channel. But then that makes me pose the question where do they get racing gas from? Because Torco, is 110 octane leaded. Turbo Blue (if it still around) was 115 leaded. So there no way that could possibly come from the same source.
-P.

Quick Reply: Different Gas companies.. is there really a diff?