Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas Tank Blues

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2006, 08:00 PM
mnwhite
1st Gear Member

Default Gas Tank Blues

please read article
http://www.stripesonline.com/article...9&archive=true

Has anyone had this issue in the past? What do you think the fix is?
Old 05-20-2006, 08:14 PM
BLACK06GT4ME
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Gas Tank Blues

There is a TSB on this, I've seen this complaint alot on this and other forums. If he has changed the tank, maybe the problem is not the car but the gas pump. I'd have to think if he raised enough stink about this he would get the attention from Mother Ford. I've not had the problem on my 06 but knew it happened on some of the 05 GT's and V6. Although this may be another case of "A b1tchin soldier is a happy soldier". Possibly he just has a score to settle. Actually with what he has to pay for gas over there, it should be full service.
Old 05-20-2006, 11:39 PM
frzn pony
1st Gear Member

I had this problem...they replaced the tank.Havnt had a chance to see if its fixed because the screwed up the rightside sending unit.still waiting for parts.
Old 05-21-2006, 12:37 AM
ford4v429
3rd Gear Member

I bitched about this when I first got my 2006 mustang gt- first two fillups were ugly- burped gas BAD the first time- from the puddle running across under the car, acup or two...second time more of just a 'mist' plus running down side of car...third time I got gas at a BP, no problem whatsoever- was so paranoid all but 4 tankfuls so far are from that station- last two fillups I was out of town, had to buy elsewhere- interestingly enough, back at the same pump I used the first fillup- a block from the dealer. no problem at all. last week tried the other 'burping' station, no problem either...It never dawned on me the first two times it was cold out(picked up in December). the BP filups always spit up a little, but only enough the little 'bib' ford put under the nozzle would catch it, and drbble it out under the car. the last couple months noticed it quit doing that-well warm weather is here.

if you look under the car a 2 year old could say why it might back up- the fill tube is not much bigger than a garden hose(looks bigger as its got a loose fitting corrugated plastic tube 'guard' over it), and it goes in/down back up around coilspring, then down into one side of a saddlebag type tank with no connection to the other side except a hump in the center thats actually a bit higher than the fuel inlet. man, try reading that aloud in one breath...sorry. The goofy filler must be 3~4 feet long too.

I still cant figure out how the heck the car sucks fuel from both sides...only connection appears to be the vaporcanister/plumbing under the guard at bottom of trunk- looks like a plumbing nightmare. I absolutely LOVE this car, but they really need to figure this out. I had an idea, and if it acts up in cold weather again gonna try pushing a 3/16~1/4 inch fuelproof piece of tubing with top end heated/bent over 180 degrees like a hook, down inside the fill tube- I'm thinking if I hook the tube at the unleaded restrictor and start filling it will at least keep an open vent path back to the top of fill tube above the 'trap' at the midpoint...both times mine blew gas out it did it about 1/2~1 second AFTER the pump shutoff- as if fuel going in was compressing air slightly, and once flow stopped the pressure caused a backflow. if thats the case I think the little tube will prevent buildup...who knows, I just dont want sprayed with gas again- that second time REALLY stunk up the new car smell...I was a bit upset. I am really worried that if even one person has the misfortune of getting burned from fuel spewing they are going to have one huge lawsuit- and maybe rightly so, as problems have occured randomly to most cars- guessing eventually they will all do it at some time...the fuel shutoff at halfway problem might be tougher to fix- whatever might be involved there I got a feeling is going to involve replacing that octopus under the trunk...in any event I sure hope they fix it before someone gets burned, let alone just because its obviously still not as it should be- far too many folks get it every now and then.