Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

missing 2nd?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 11:11 PM
AmericanMuscle4.6GT
5th Gear Member

Default missing 2nd?

i have heard plenty of reports of people in the s197 GT's missing second, and yesterday i did it for the second time. can someone tell me, whats up? am i just an oaf behind the wheel or is it just easy to miss 2nd?
i've never missed third tho. snicks into the gate like a dream.

http://videos.streetfire.net/search/...4D4D628C65.htm

heres a good example.

oops. good to see a 3v not get owned by an ls1. what happened in the 2nd race tho? especially towards the end.
Old 05-26-2006, 12:30 AM
allfyre
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: missing 2nd?

I f***ed up going into 2nd at the track last night, I usually don't have a problem. I've heard others complain about missing the gate going into 3rd, but 3rd was always my easiest gear.
Old 05-26-2006, 01:23 AM
Rench
1st Gear Member

I thought I saw something happen last night............ Was that wait for runs painful or what? I made my first run and was a little dissapointed with myself as well as the tires, then the second run I just wasted them.....The Drag radials went on tonight..Hopeful the weather holds for tommorow night...Doubt it though....I hung out a little bit after my second run to watch you guys. Was that your black stang that pulled the 13.3? He had the gas cap and fan blades like you???????????? It was good meeting up with you guys, even though the track was a little frustrating, as far as the wait was concerned. Don't feel bad. I have missed second with the stock shifter before???!!!!??? NEVER missed second on any other car before!!!!!!!!! What's up with that?
No problems since the Hurst install..................
Old 05-26-2006, 02:09 AM
Black GT
4th Gear Member

I don't see how you guys are missing 2nd.

It's straight back from 1st!

Are you not getting it into gear all the way? Are you hitting 4th? How exactly do you miss 2nd?
Old 05-26-2006, 02:26 AM
Rench
1st Gear Member

Definitely a mystery to me? Never in any other car before..YEAH! Just yank back and BAM you're there.....But have done it once or twice before my shifter change. Third was hit or miss as well. No problem now.........................
Old 05-26-2006, 02:29 AM
PonyGT2005
2nd Gear Member

The only time I've missed second is coming back from 3rd ...there is a hairpin turn at Cresson MSR (south of Fort Worth) that, if going CCW, has you coming in fast and then shredding speed to get the turn (which is also then uphill)...have to drop into 2nd and I've screwed the pooch there a couple times....mainly due to mental fatigue and nothing to do with the car though.
Old 05-26-2006, 02:48 AM
grasshopper
2nd Gear Member

I've only missed 2nd and 4th, once each, on high rpm shifts 'cos it required more effort than I was expecting. The synchros will react differently depending on temp and rpm, so I'd say it's half their fault, and half driver error for not planning accordingly.
Old 05-26-2006, 03:15 AM
backinblack06
3rd Gear Member

Not the best stick driver, but knock on wood, I've never missed 2nd or even the perplexing 3rd gear !!
Old 05-26-2006, 09:10 AM
allfyre
3rd Gear Member

I think my best time last night was 13.43, I thought I got 13.3 on the last run but I was looking at the wrong ticket and the damn thing hardly had any ink on it. It was good meeting you, hopefully next time they'll keep things moving a little more smoothly. Also, did you notice that there was crap all over the place around the starting line?

The second run is where I messed up shifting and basically I just didn't have the clutch all the way in when I tried to do it so it didn't really work out.

I'm definitely going to be down there again soon because I'm positive I can get 13.1 if I can launch her right and I'm just not going to be happy until I do. It just sucks to drive all the way down there, wait around for hours to run 3 times (a total of about 41 seconds of track time) I'm just not getting enough practice in you know? By the time I was warmed up they were closing the place.

BTW, love that shifter. I'm curious about Steeda's shifter, I'd like to see how that one feels but I liked the positive action on the hurst.
Old 05-26-2006, 10:15 AM
Rezalien
2nd Gear Member

I've NEVER missed a gear in my GT...just doesn't happen...I guess I'm that good

Quick Reply: missing 2nd?