Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tokico D- Spec shocks/struts

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 05:49 PM
BradInFl
2nd Gear Member

Default Tokico D- Spec shocks/struts

I have had the Steeda Sport springs for about 2 months now and I am slowly feeling the ride get bumpier. I am considering purchasing a set of Tokico D -specs from Brenspeed for $540, which seems like a good deal. I also e- mailed koni regarding shocks and they replied that they most likely wont be out for another year or so. Can everybody that has Tokico D- specs comment on how the handeling has changed from installing the shocks. I don't mind a bumpy ride that much, but I want to improve handeling. Is this the best mod that I can do to my car to improve handeling?
Old 05-30-2006, 08:21 PM
PullMeOverRed05
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Tokico D- Spec shocks/struts

I don't have them installed on mine (stock suspension still) but I do not recall a single post with anything negative on them. They are posted about frequently.
Old 05-30-2006, 09:23 PM
pcdrj
2nd Gear Member

I have the Steeda springs and the Tokicos. For around town driving I adjusted shocks to 6 turns and ride is better than stock with better cornering.
Old 05-30-2006, 09:53 PM
RICVA05
3rd Gear Member

I have had mine installed since Aug. of 05 I found that when doing alot cornering 2-1/2 turns works better for me but if I want a more comfortable ride 5 turns is the best. I think it is one of the best suspension Mods. I have done. When I first lowered my car nobody had adjustable shocks and struts yet and like you I felt the ride getting worse. When I installed them I could not believe how much better the car handled and the ride improved.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:04 PM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

Nice to hear all this good info on the Tokico's since i have a set waiting to be installed in the garage along with my Eibach Pro Kit Springs. Seems to me from all i have researched that these are the best shock and Struts without question.

Richard
Old 05-30-2006, 10:09 PM
BradInFl
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the replies. If anyone else has them please post.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:24 PM
islandmustang
1st Gear Member

i have them on my 05 v6 with eibach pro kit and sway bars. I must say they are really great shocks/struts. I have mine adjusted firm in the front to get more bite on the tires and a little bit softer in the rear to get traction. I can take turns at double the speed limit. At high speeds over 100+, MY CAR RIDES SMOOOOOOTH.....you feeel like there is more control at high speeds. i think if i have sticky, lower profile tires they would be really affect the grip on my handling. i have 255/50/17 tires all the way around on my car for daily commuter purposes....and i guess higher profile makes up for the height when i lowered it.
Old 05-31-2006, 12:18 AM
PonyGT2005
2nd Gear Member

The Tokico's are great. I've firmed up my ride around town a bit more than I used to...gone with 3 turns (off full-firm) in front and 4 in the rear.
Old 06-01-2006, 05:10 PM
terrysil
1st Gear Member

i have had my tokico D specs on for a month now. I autocross my car and the best setting I have found are 7 turns loose on the front, and 5 turns loose on the rear.
I followed the recommendation that Tokico has in their maual that comes with the shocks and they work as advertised. I also have more negative camber in my front end, -1.2 de=grees vs -.7 stock I guess the theory is If the shock is set too stiff up front it will not have fast enough rebound and will not stay in contact with the road(track) as much as if it is set loose.

On the street I run 4 turns loose in the rear and 5 turns loose in the front.

if the car plows (understeers) then loose the front shocks up one turn at a time until you find the best adjustment. this is what i did and it works, i improved my times 2 1/2 seconds on our Saturday test and tune course. This course is the same every weekend so you can evaluate any changes you make
Old 06-04-2006, 09:52 AM
RedfireMustang06GT
1st Gear Member

I love the Tokico's. Hell, I still can't figure out how to adjust the front one's. I opened the cap and the damn tool bottoms out and will not catch on anything to screw? hopefully it's set around 5 from the factory b/c it hasn't been too bad, but goodness I bought them for the adjustment! I have my rear at 3 from full firm. I had it at 5 like the manual says but wanted to try it out. The BMR LCA's now in the rear with the poly bearing make it a little bouncy anyways b/c the flex is gone!

Maybe the relocation brackets would fix this too? One tech said it would be better if they actually moved back a bit , ofcourse that going with and adjustable LCA, instead of the brackets.. Hmmm. I wanted to try them without, pinion angle still isn't over 1/8th off or the tech said it looked good. No wheel hop, but got to put up with a little extra road noise. Probably not enough power yet upfront to get wheel hop! LOL. Nothing the radio and exhaust can't handle.. As long as it is better than before, obviously!

Maybe that's where the "whining" sound is coming from and slow speeds turning hard left or right. Like kind of a grind. Still trying to figure this one out. First the Adjustments on the Tokico's up front. Still puzzled about adjusting the front![:@]

Your guys help would be appreciated!!

Need Gears and Intake/Tune and short throw!

Quick Reply: Tokico D- Spec shocks/struts