Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sway bar for Auto-X / Solo

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 12:59 PM
mnwhite
1st Gear Member

Default Sway bar for Auto-X / Solo

What is the best front sway bar to use for the '06 Mustang to compete in the stock class for Solo racing? In advance thanks for the help.
Old 05-31-2006, 05:34 PM
mnwhite
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Sway bar for Auto-X / Solo

No body has any input? [&o] I was thinking of going with a Steeda bar. Does anybody have a line on maybe some custom bars or other household brands that have worked well for them? With the Stock class in Solo a car can only change it's front sway bar. Thats why I ask.
Old 05-31-2006, 06:19 PM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

most mustang owners are not autoXers. whenever i go, i usually end up using somebody else's car
Old 05-31-2006, 09:29 PM
classj
4th Gear Member

I think the back bar is the one to upgrade first. You want to get rid of the push and faster turn in get the rear rotating easier. The gt500 just changed the rear bar over the regualr gt. They increased it by 4mm.

But to me, for auto X, it is more of a porsche, bmw, honda s2000, miata kind of thing.
Old 05-31-2006, 09:42 PM
Hiboost
2nd Gear Member

Hellwig front and rear are a GREAT price... Just call and ask for Nancy and ask about the group buy, I think I paid a little over $300 shipped for the front and rear. Both are solid and adjustable and come complete with all the hardware.

I hope this car can handle....or I am going to be disappointed...
Old 05-31-2006, 09:53 PM
classj
4th Gear Member

Have you driven it yet with the hellwig bars?? How much of a difference did it make?
Old 06-01-2006, 12:12 AM
PonyGT2005
2nd Gear Member

I've got the Steeda rear bar. Have not tried any other bars on this car so I can't compare but I am quite happy with the Steeda products.

Stangs are definately in the minority on the tracks I've run at but the S197's are making a good showing especially with suspension & tire upgrades.
Old 06-01-2006, 01:50 AM
mnwhite
1st Gear Member

Fellas thanks for the input. Like I said before due to the rules I can only change the front. It may not even make a big difference. Certainly not like tires do. It is amazing how a simple tire change will affect a drivers times. I will check out the Hellwig bar and see what they are all about.

As far as Mustangs being the minority on the Auto-x track I say this. Go to the SCCA web site and count how many mustange are posted in F Stock. Secondly the mustang is a Pony car, last time I checked it was built to race in Trans Am series racing. Third and final just open google videos and search "autocross" and let me now how many times you spot a Mustang tearing up the tarmac of some airport. I don't mean to sound offensive, but the mustang has a long history of racing in the corners rather than blazing down the drag strip.

Again thanks for the help on the bar anybody else have input let me know please.

Old 06-01-2006, 04:33 PM
Shadowfax

ORIGINAL: mnwhite

Fellas thanks for the input. Like I said before due to the rules I can only change the front. It may not even make a big difference. Certainly not like tires do. It is amazing how a simple tire change will affect a drivers times. I will check out the Hellwig bar and see what they are all about.

As far as Mustangs being the minority on the Auto-x track I say this. Go to the SCCA web site and count how many mustange are posted in F Stock. Secondly the mustang is a Pony car, last time I checked it was built to race in Trans Am series racing. Third and final just open google videos and search "autocross" and let me now how many times you spot a Mustang tearing up the tarmac of some airport. I don't mean to sound offensive, but the mustang has a long history of racing in the corners rather than blazing down the drag strip.

Again thanks for the help on the bar anybody else have input let me know please.

What he said!!!!!!!
Old 06-01-2006, 11:35 PM
Hiboost
2nd Gear Member

If you can only change the front, try this....

The original front bar has a section similiar to my Hellwig. The Hellwig has three locations to mount the endlinks. The outermost hole is the weakest. I thought about drilling two additional holes in the stock bar to make the bar come in quicker and work like a bigger bar.

The bars made a HUGE difference in the car. The only problem is that the little 235 tires can't hold the car. The rear alone at full bar was crazy to drive due to almost immediate turn in. I plan on adding more oversteer by moving the endlinks closer to the bar, not the end of the bar, to help with throttle pickup in the middle of turns. At least then, I can use the brake to get the front to bite then accelerate.

Quick Reply: Sway bar for Auto-X / Solo