Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

serious question

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2006, 04:39 PM
dtuna42
1st Gear Member

Default RE: serious question

In my experience, blue smoke is usually indicative of oil getting past the piston rings and buring in the combustion chamber. But this is usually with older cars with high mileage, when the rings start to fail. And the smoke doesn;t go away, it gets worse and worse, to the point that you're driving down the street with a big smoke screen behind you. In your case, I'd vote for condensation. If you're not burning any oil, and it runs well, you probably don't have anything to worry about. If your oil level is dropping, or if you have any drivability issues, you need to bring it in for service.
Old 06-04-2006, 04:51 PM
LEJAY
I ♥ Acer

Put one a those patches on each muffler/tailpipe. I hear that stops smoking.

JMO
Old 06-05-2006, 03:55 AM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dtuna42

In my experience, blue smoke is usually indicative of oil getting past the piston rings and buring in the combustion chamber. But this is usually with older cars with high mileage, when the rings start to fail. And the smoke doesn;t go away, it gets worse and worse, to the point that you're driving down the street with a big smoke screen behind you. In your case, I'd vote for condensation. If you're not burning any oil, and it runs well, you probably don't have anything to worry about. If your oil level is dropping, or if you have any drivability issues, you need to bring it in for service.
+1

blue smoke usually always means oil is burning... but with our cars, alot of people have noticed SOME blue smoke when they start it every now and then, especially if you dont drive it much and you let it sit for awhile or its really cold out. If either of those arent true for you and you drive it daily and its not very cold then thats not normal. Like dtuna said, cars that smoke blue are usually old cars, and you should probably keep an eye on your oil and/or have it checked.