Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

295/45/18's Too big!

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 08:45 PM
Vcoat
3rd Gear Member

Default 295/45/18's Too big!

295/45/18's (18x10 ) Rear , 255/45/18's (18x9) Fronts. The front tires look good but the rears IMO stick out just a little too much! Installed the STeeda springs and just made it look worse along with the tires rubbing. To cap eveything off the rearend looks like its shifted to one side and shop tells me i will now need to buy a adjustable bar to correct that and also the alignment is off and the shop couldnt really do anything about it until i get camber plates which may or may not help. Needless to say not a good day!...I ordered the 285/40/ 18's for the rear. Hopefully that will help?...Anyone interested in the Nitto 295/45's let me know. Any thoughts on my problems are appreciated!
Old 06-06-2006, 09:32 PM
classj
4th Gear Member

Default RE: 295/45/18's Too big!

Well 285-40-18 is what the gt-500 runs and that is 27" diameter. 255-45-18 are approx 27" as well.

295-45-18's are 28.4" in diameter. That is a big part of the problem right there. Forgetting about the width.

How much did you drop the car??

What are your front camber settings now?
Old 06-06-2006, 09:47 PM
Vcoat
3rd Gear Member

I used the Steeda Sport Springs which claim like a one inch drop. Unfortunately i am not sure what the camber settings are at this point. The mechanic showed them to me at the shop but at that time those numbers didnt mean anything to me, i can certainly get that info if it will help. T
Old 06-06-2006, 10:02 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

I am surprised that you are surprised that the rear end shifted when you lowered it. The need for adjustable pan hard rods has only been discussed about a bazillion times.

What wheels do you have? What is the offset? I know several people running 295s and theirs do not stick out at all.
Old 06-06-2006, 10:31 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Yeah, what wheels are you running?

I'd be very interested to hear. I am planning on installing the 295/45/18s at the end of this week. I've checked everything with a tape measure, and it seems OK. I will be running them with no drop.

By the way, you do know there is a 295/40/18 also, right? That might be an option as well. I'd just prefer to run the larger diameter tires out back for that "muscle" look.
Old 06-06-2006, 10:46 PM
Vcoat
3rd Gear Member

I am running the deep dish chrome bullets from Mustang Tunning 18X10 and 18X9. Are there different offsets or something ?...I really dont know that much about rims, tires, suspension

06 Gt, 5sp, Perf White, 3.73's, Steeda UDP's, C&L CAI Brenspeed 93 Tune
Old 06-06-2006, 11:17 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

If you are running the ones you PMed me the link to, they are the wrong wheel. Those were for an 04. There is a 23mm offset difference between them and the same wheel for an 05.
Old 06-07-2006, 12:01 AM
PullMeOverRed05
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hawgman

I am surprised that you are surprised that the rear end shifted when you lowered it. The need for adjustable pan hard rods has only been discussed about a bazillion times.

What wheels do you have? What is the offset? I know several people running 295s and theirs do not stick out at all.
Hawgman brings up a good point here.

We keep seeing the same discussion/question being brought up over lowering and tire/wheel size. With more and more newbies stopping by here a subject like this is bound to keep repeating itself. Does anyone with the knowledge for both lowering (like the need for an adjustable panhard bar, camber adjustment plates and the reasons why) and tire/wheel sizing, offsets etc wanna take a shot and putting something together that those less technical can refer to for advice? I'm sure PW would put it up as a sticky...

Any takers??
Old 06-07-2006, 12:54 AM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

Most aftermarket rims for the GT lack adequate offset; the OE bullits have a ton of offset at 45mm; that's 6.295" of backspacing on a 8"rim. The following should answer any questions you may have about rims.

An inch is about 25mm. But here's a conv chart:
http://www.voltplastics.com/in_mm.html

Great info on offset and backspacing at:
http://www.rsracing.com/tech-wheel.html

In there you'll see as they say: Rear spacing or back spacing is the distance from the backside of the wheel mounting pad to the outside of the rim flange. The offset is the distance from the centerline of the wheel to the mounting surface of the wheel.

Anyway the stock bullit has 6.295" backspacing and a positive offset of 45mm. (Positive offset: When the back of the wheel mounting pad is closer to the street side of the wheel; here the mounting surface is outboard of the rim centerline.

If for example you used 10" rims with the same 45mm offset (mounting face in same relative postion to centerline as the stock bullit rim) then with the two inch greater rim width you are putting 1 inch more outward of your wheel mounting pad and 1 inch more inward of your wheel mounting pad. Now if you only had a 20mm offset for example that 25mm less (approx 1 inch) will be all outward movement of the rim position (just like you had thrown a 1 inch spacer on there). Now you're out 2" which to me is not acceptable, at least looks wise. Because of a special paint scheme on my GT, and I see how debris already kicks up with stock setup I have gone with FRPP 17x8 chrome bullits. ...just don't want the tires outward anymore than stock; but that's me. Up to an inch seems reasonable I guess; up to you.

As far as the rims clearing the calipers that has to do with the spoke design and how it is built with respect to the bolt face. 05-06 GTs require more clearance than most so you have to know that the rims are proven test fit for the 05-06 GT or order one and test it (before mounting any tire) yourself. OEM bullits come incredibly close to the calipers.

Hope this helps. ...Jim

Old 06-07-2006, 02:02 AM
sowaxeman
Retired Moderator

All these stickys to keep people from having to use the wonderful SEARCH feature, and pretty soon were going to need the search feature to filter through all the stickys [:@]

I think EVERY section should have a READ THIS FIRST sticky, and tell people to use the valuable search feature before posting a technical question, because 9 times out of 10 it has already been discussed - and most likely beaten like a dead horse.

Sorry vocoat, I'm not trying to sh*t on you here - its just these forums (particularly this '05/6 section) seem to be getting VERY redundant.

Quick Reply: 295/45/18's Too big!