Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hanging revs

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 12:40 PM
Speedy

Default Hanging revs

Hi Guys,

First post on the forum, although I've been reading for a while and have appreciated all of the helpful information, particularly on filters/CAI and tuners. I've recently picked up my '05 manual sixer in Mineral Grey and have been very pleased with it However, I've noticed on a couple of occasions that the revs will hang when going into neutral whilst slowing down, e.g. for traffic lights. This is most obvious after having come off the freeway having been doing a constant speed for a while.

I used to have a similar problem in a previous Ford I had (a Ford Racing Puma) and wondered if these symptoms might be related - I believe there are several vehicles made by Ford which do this. It is due to a sticking throttle pot sensor, which gets confused and miscalibrated, especially when warm. Has anyone else experienced this and if so any solutions? If someone has access to a Mustang TIS and can point me to the location of the TPS under the hood, I can possibly give it a clean and check the contacts and see if that helps.

Any feedback gratefully received.

Cheers
Nick
Old 06-08-2006, 01:01 PM
jdback19
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Hanging revs

Dont know but it exists in the gt as well!! Maybe one of the intelligent people here can fill us both in!!
Old 06-08-2006, 01:48 PM
StartMeUp
1st Gear Member

How many RPM's is the engine turning when it's hanging?
Old 06-08-2006, 02:30 PM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

Handheld tuners with a canned tuned can fix this, I hated it myself, would have it just driving along between shifts the R's stay up for a few, making the shift not the smoothest. Now after tune they drop as soon as I engage the clutch, much better.
Old 06-08-2006, 04:59 PM
Speedy

Around 2000rpm - although it can sometimes do strange things, like settle down to 800rpm, then yoyo around a bit, then climb back up to 2000rpm! [&:] I've had a bit of a surf around the internet and it seems like the Focus and SRT are prone to this sort of thing as well...

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...threadid=72337
http://www.srtforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=255438

I think this is different from the usual 'hanging revs' for a second or two, before returning to idle - I believe this is emissions related. Whereas mine will stay around 2000rpms until the car reaches a standstill and then settles down again. Has anyone else experienced this?

Which brings us back to finding the TPS location - is there anyone with a TIS disc that can upload a diagram?

ORIGINAL: StartMeUp

How many RPM's is the engine turning when it's hanging?
Old 06-08-2006, 06:39 PM
Speedy

Update: I've spoken to the local service centre and they believe this is normal due to the speed sensor on the vehicle maintaining the revs... I'm not entirely convinced, but I'll hold off taking it in until I can have a play with a tune or two and see if that changes anything.

Hope the information helps others, but still wouldn't mind giving the TPS a clean just to confirm - so if anyone can help with its location, I'd be much obliged.
Old 06-08-2006, 06:47 PM
Scooter80
2nd Gear Member

Well, on a GT the TPS is on the left side of the TB as you look from the front of the car. Dunno if a 6 is the same??

EDIT, ooh, just found a V6 diagram. The TPS on the 6 is on the Driver's side of the TB. Go Figure.

[IMG]local://upfiles/31863/EC0BFCFAFC1C41D9A4E0CD13121A5B61.jpg[/IMG]
Old 06-08-2006, 07:42 PM
BigDave
3rd Gear Member

I don't know about bouncing around, but Ford started slowing down the return to idle back in the 70's to reduce "oxides of nitrogen" (NO, NO2). Combined with water=nitric acid, and the Canadians were losing forests in the north east provinces.

I am assuming that these emissions features are still in place. My 2005 and 2005 GTs both do this.
Old 06-08-2006, 08:19 PM
blackfoot
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Speedy

Update: I've spoken to the local service centre and they believe this is normal due to the speed sensor on the vehicle maintaining the revs... I'm not entirely convinced, but I'll hold off taking it in until I can have a play with a tune or two and see if that changes anything.

Hope the information helps others, but still wouldn't mind giving the TPS a clean just to confirm - so if anyone can help with its location, I'd be much obliged.
that wouldnt make any sense since your car is a manual

if you car was an automatic, it would make sense, because wheel sensor sends signal to computer which then sends signal to trnamission to downshift so impellar speeds up to slow your car down via compression (like a jake brake on trucks)
Old 06-08-2006, 08:38 PM
austijc
2nd Gear Member

This is what I've heard about this but it's all second hand word of mouth so take it with a grain of salt.

When you slap the throttle shut, the greatly reduced air flow gives you a very rich mixture. This of course creates a lot of pollution. The solution has been to have the computer cut off the fuel flow during deceleration until the RPMs drop down. That works but has the downside of making it jerk hard when you let up on the gas.

With the newer throttle by wire, they combine managing the fuel flow with managing the air flow, so it can decelerate smoothly and still keep emissions down. I think why it seems odd is we've all become used to the hard reaction when throttling down quickly.

Still, the RPMs actually jumping up during deceleration sounds like a problem somewhere. Maybe a bad sensor is making the computer do odd things?

Quick Reply: Hanging revs