Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shelby performance, do people read or assume?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 06:19 PM
viking396
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Shelby performance, do people read or assume?

Good points, but this is closer to a "big block" than the 4.6 and the serious Shelby guys don't want a 4.6 and if I remember, people were very serious about getting more than 300 cubic inches. So, be careful what you ask for 'eh?
Old 06-12-2006, 06:42 PM
Just Mark

Automobile Magazine has an article on the Shelby in the July issue. I started the article in the waiting room of my dentist this morning but didn't get a chance to finish it. I will pick up a copy on my way home tonight. Overall it started out very positive. I think they get the whole concept of the car. I'm certainly excited about this vehicle and what it represents.

On a side note, I keep seeing people on the vast number of threads on the Shelby talking about how it will appriciate in value so well. Does anyone over the age of 40 really believe that? With extremely rare exceptions, even exotics depriciate once they are used vehicles. They are going the make 9,000 to 11,000 of them a year for at least the next three years. That is not an exlusive number of vehicles. We will be able to buy them for MSRP eventually (and I probably will). Maybe in 30 years it will be a colectable? And maybe gas powered vehices will be outlawed? nobody should buy one as an investment.

Folks are paying a premium now because they want them NOW. This has happened with a lot of cars (remember when the Miata first came out?) and just about every time it eventually slacks off to MSRP off the lot. It's not a bad thing, just a matter of what people are willing to pay to be the first to play.
Old 06-12-2006, 06:57 PM
viking396
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Just Mark

Automobile Magazine has an article on the Shelby in the July issue. I started the article in the waiting room of my dentist this morning but didn't get a chance to finish it. I will pick up a copy on my way home tonight. Overall it started out very positive. I think they get the whole concept of the car. I'm certainly excited about this vehicle and what it represents.

On a side note, I keep seeing people on the vast number of threads on the Shelby talking about how it will appriciate in value so well. Does anyone over the age of 40 really believe that? With extremely rare exceptions, even exotics depriciate once they are used vehicles. They are going the make 9,000 to 11,000 of them a year for at least the next three years. That is not an exlusive number of vehicles. We will be able to buy them for MSRP eventually (and I probably will). Maybe in 30 years it will be a colectable? And maybe gas powered vehices will be outlawed? nobody should buy one as an investment.

Folks are paying a premium now because they want them NOW. This has happened with a lot of cars (remember when the Miata first came out?) and just about every time it eventually slacks off to MSRP off the lot. It's not a bad thing, just a matter of what people are willing to pay to be the first to play.
Very good points all, buying now for investment would be different than it was back in '68 when we didn't know it would be one. It simply happens, perhaps when one is predicted it doesn't live up to it, or sometimes it does. Some people are gambling big time on it.
Old 06-12-2006, 07:02 PM
Andys06GT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cableguymicah

I read earlier about comparing there gt with the shelby---No compariosn--Shelby hands down. Now I can afford one, but I dont like them. IMO they could of done more to this car, no so much performance but just overall styleing. Now the performance of this car, even though I dont know how you complain about a 500hp car, is just a pully swap and a gear change away from being sick and still be cheaper than a Z06---assuming you py sticker for this car. Hell if the rubber is not wide enough to grip, get bigger rims and tires problem solved.......

The thing that holds this car back is the amount of these they are going to sell--10k a year is allot and they will not hold there vaule as well as a Saleen does IMO...
problem being there that a Z06, while more expensive, is a much quicker track car, and more refined. it also screams hurt me when you get it out on the road. there's no cheap feelin in the car, PERIOD. mustangs are wonderful cars, and an over hyped shelby mustang will be an awesome car. but lets face it, you get what you pay for. think why a 500hp car is SO much cheaper than a Z06. Ford isnt trying to give you the deal of a lifetime, its because they have a certain "cheapness" about them. the interior of my steed is adequate, mainly because i could care less about creature comforts. dont get em on the job, why need em in the car right? heated/cooled leather is nice though. as is a suspension that gives and gives and never makes you cry. my stang cant HOPE to hang with a Z06, or ANY corvette out of the box. Now add more power, more weight, and an only slightly better tuned suspension. the cars are built for different things. sure, you can drag race a corvette. but thats not their point anymore. they can carve like they're glued on a rail. mustangs, naw. so for the application you want, pick a car. so you can theoreticaly have the power advantage, but you'll fall short in far more places than you win.
Old 06-12-2006, 07:04 PM
Andys06GT
2nd Gear Member

and if that sounded blasphemous and you'd like me to leave this forum forever, great. open minded people please follow me out the door. no more "my car is better cause of its brand". such childishness.
Old 06-12-2006, 07:21 PM
cableguymicah
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Andys06GT

I read earlier about comparing there gt with the shelby---No compariosn--Shelby hands down. Now I can afford one, but I dont like them. IMO they could of done more to this car, no so much performance but just overall styleing. Now the performance of this car, even though I dont know how you complain about a 500hp car, is just a pully swap and a gear change away from being sick and still be cheaper than a Z06---assuming you py sticker for this car. Hell if the rubber is not wide enough to grip, get bigger rims and tires problem solved.......

The thing that holds this car back is the amount of these they are going to sell--10k a year is allot and they will not hold there vaule as well as a Saleen does IMO...
problem being there that a Z06, while more expensive, is a much quicker track car, and more refined. it also screams hurt me when you get it out on the road. there's no cheap feelin in the car, PERIOD. mustangs are wonderful cars, and an over hyped shelby mustang will be an awesome car. but lets face it, you get what you pay for. think why a 500hp car is SO much cheaper than a Z06. Ford isnt trying to give you the deal of a lifetime, its because they have a certain "cheapness" about them. the interior of my steed is adequate, mainly because i could care less about creature comforts. dont get em on the job, why need em in the car right? heated/cooled leather is nice though. as is a suspension that gives and gives and never makes you cry. my stang cant HOPE to hang with a Z06, or ANY corvette out of the box. Now add more power, more weight, and an only slightly better tuned suspension. the cars are built for different things. sure, you can drag race a corvette. but thats not their point anymore. they can carve like they're glued on a rail. mustangs, naw. so for the application you want, pick a car. so you can theoreticaly have the power advantage, but you'll fall short in far more places than you win.

Though I agree with you to certin degree. You really cant compare the two --they are two different cars--If you want to compare a ford to a z06, you dont have to look far, NO not the Ford Gt--the saleen extreme,weights about 300lbs more but has 50 more hp and handle like a dream--I think if you have to find a ford that compares to the z06 the extreme is the best for that--power,handleing,cost, luxuary
Old 06-12-2006, 07:50 PM
viking396
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Andys06GT

I'm sure if the Shelby was built to cost an MSRP as much as the Z06 does it would compare a bit better to it and I have looked at the Z06, it doesn't exactly SCREAM quality to me, the body fit and finish is below par for a car that costs that much. Visit any Chevy dealer that sells the Vette, none of them have panles that line up that well. Would I take a Z06, hell yeah, would I buy one, nope. The Mustang isn't a handle on rails type of car, never was never will be but it's the best damn muscle car ever built that's for sure!
Old 06-12-2006, 08:00 PM
classj
4th Gear Member

Sorry, the shelby is a nice car, but ford really missed the mark regarding overall weight, and handling due to very poor weight distribution. There is no getting around that. The original gt500 had better weight bias. My parents hemi jeep grand cherokee is close to 50/50. Chrysler 300c close to 50/50.

Ford realized that regardless of what the car weighed and how it handled that they can sell 9K a year at a markup. Smart guys. But in truth, I dont think they did too great of a job on the finer points. Would it have been a perfect car had they tried harder. No. But at 4000lb and 60/40 distribution, it is guaranteed not to be a stellar handling car. And believe it or not, its weight distribution may be one of the big reasons the car cannot hook up at the track. Every article and test drive has complained about the blower not being twin screw, the weight causing poor handling compared with the GT. And lack luster performance, that the so called 200hp increase just wasent earth shattering because of the weight.

As far as the tirespin, so it doesent hook up. Does that mean it is fast?? No, it means that professional drivers tested the car to the best of their ability and were only able to generate low 13's/ high 12's in the quarter and 0-60 in 4.7. So because of suspension design and weight bias the car cant hook up. To say that it has so much horsepower but cant use it is useless. Did anyone catch the article in motor trend (not my favorite mag). They ran a few tuned cars againt the ZO6. Some had 1000 HP. They did nothing earth shattering compared to a ZO6 and cost alot more. They couldent hook up, but regardless, they still tooK t seconds to go from point a to point b.

Not that it has anything to do with the mustang,

but since you brought it up

And the new 599 ferrari is overweight as well sorry to say. But it has perfect slightly REAR biased weight distribution and is still a front engined automobile. And according to the articles I have read, 80% of the cars heft is within the wheelbase and very low in the car with a very low unsprung weight. And you cant say that ferrari did not try to keep the weight down with a ton of carbon fibre. And regardless of the weight, it handles amazingly enough to be faster than a F40 which was essentially a race car slightly modified to be street legal. The 599 is a luxury car in comparison to the F40.

I would still rather have a ZO6 to beat on than the ferrari though.

Old 06-12-2006, 08:28 PM
Fly
2nd Gear Member

I'm more of a Mustang kinda guy, and I'd take a Shelby in a New York minute.
Old 06-12-2006, 08:46 PM
BLACK06GT4ME
2nd Gear Member

** News Flash ** Ford did not build the new Shelby with the intention of pleasing everyone. With only 8 - 10K being built each year for 2 years they obviously don't care or want everyone to have one. This is a collector car for Mustang lovers, plain and simple. If you don't like it, don't buy it, shouldn't be too hard to avoid. If you really like it good luck getting your hands on one. I, for one, will be jealous of the new Shelby owners, they will get a piece of history. Instead of spending so much time whining about what it doesn't have or do, can't you be thankful that they are still in production. How many muscle cars have a 43 year record equal to that of the Mustang. Compare it to whatever you want, it's still a tribute to the Mustang, maybe a little overhyped, but it worked in boosting Mustang sales across the US and elsewhere. I've worked my butt off to get my little piece of history and I'm grateful to have it, not everyone has FUN driving their car.

Quick Reply: Shelby performance, do people read or assume?