Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stereo removal

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2006, 04:52 AM
pshicker

Default Stereo removal

Hi all,

I have an 06 convertible with the standard CD stereo.
I would like to replace the front and rear speakers, but would like some tips on removing the door panels and
how to access the rear speakers.
Also, I would like to replace the head unit with something that will drive the in-door subs. Yes, they're there.
Thought about picking up a Shaker 500 on E-Bay.
Any thoughts or hints?

Thanks!
Old 06-18-2006, 04:59 AM
shockme76
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Stereo removal

This will tell you everything you need to know

http://www.2005stang.com/viewtopic.php?t=1087
Old 06-18-2006, 07:19 AM
Sleeper05
5th Gear Member

if you are gonna replace the deck, the WORST thing you could do is replace with a shaker deck...
Old 06-18-2006, 12:27 PM
Rrruss
1st Gear Member

Worst??? depends on your perspective.

If he can get a shaker 500 for under $100 on ebay it would be a cheap and easy upgrade.

True the 500 has earned the nickname "skipper 500", but not everyone needs top of the line audio.

It sounds like he is just wanting to find a way to use the subs he has installed in the doors.

Are there more cost effective stereo options for our 'stangs.... almost anything is over the stock radios.

I have the shaker 1000 only because it was in the car I bought and I got a very good deal on my car.

Mine skips every once in a while on both mp3 disks and regular CD's, and it is annoying. However not annoying enough (yet) to yank out the unit and buy something else.

I am curious if they install the subs on every car they make even if it doesn't have a 500/100 radio....?

Just yesterday I looked on ebay and there was a 500 unit auction that was sitting at $76, not sure how long the auction had to go. There was a couple of 1000 units that had sold in the $160 dollar range.

The last concern would be does the unit need to be programmed to the computer to make it work??
If so that might cost more than buying the unit on ebay.

Some food for thought ..... good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Old 06-18-2006, 03:37 PM
pshicker

Thanks for the replies.
Most of the Shakers I've seen for sale end up around 150.00.
I'm trying to keep the factory look and yes, drive the subs. However, the factory speakers suck!
I think I'm either going with the Alpines, or the JL's.
Thanks for the PDF's on removal.
If anyone else has an opinion...(what do they say about opinions?), please reply.
Old 06-18-2006, 03:40 PM
pshicker

another quick question...
Are the subs driven directly by the Shaker units, or is a separate amp required?
Thanks.
Old 06-18-2006, 04:13 PM
Sleeper05
5th Gear Member

he said he didn't have any upgraded stereo, so there is no point in getting the shaker to use the factory subs because there are none. you can get a pretty decent deck for 150, esp on ebay. if he wants the shaker, then by all means he should get it...but to go through the effort of replacing the deck and end up with a stock one seems pointless and redundant to me, esp considering he is buying that stock deck. a shaker deck also won't do aftermarket speakers justice, and will not adequately power them. this is just 2cents of input from an mecp installer tho...

edit: there should be a small external ampflifier for the shaker subs, but i am not closely familiar with the location or wiring of it
Old 06-18-2006, 04:44 PM
shockme76
2nd Gear Member

Yes, unfortunately the factory speakers aren't very good. They can't handle much power and the highs aren't clear. Replacing them is the best thing you can do. If you want a more factory look with an aftermarket deck, Kenwood has some nice double din cd/mp3 units. Some even have USB ports on them to hook your mp3 player up to it. You can find them online for a good price. You can still use the factory door subs. They're not that bad for factory subs. You'll need the wiring harness which Crutchfield sells. You may need to solder a voltage regulator inline with the amp remote wire. I had to do this when i put in my kenwood deck. Everytime it kicked on the subs they would pop really loud. Reason is the deck was sending a 12v signal turn on to the amps when they only needed a 5v signal. The voltage regulator takes the 12v signal to 5v and fixes the issue. You can get it from Radio Shack for a couple of dollars.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search
Old 06-18-2006, 05:12 PM
Black06stang
4th Gear Member

The shaker 500 headunits are expensive, Ive seen them going for over $300 on ebay!
Old 07-17-2006, 04:03 PM
canacrippler

shockme76

Right now I'm running a Kenwood DDX8017 HU in a factory Shaker 500 car. I'm not sure how to get my factory door subs hooked up properly. Was wondering what wiring harness you were talking about and if it my help me out.

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Stereo removal