Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rock Chips

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2006, 02:10 PM
Gizzmo0411

Default Rock Chips

Best way to repair paint chips? Anyone?

I've got a number of minute miniscule chips in the front fender and leading edge of the hood that feel like gaping wounds when I sit in my car mostly from rocks being kicked up (you know what I mean...you can FEEL them...). Does anyone have good repair knowledge for these kinds of things? Minor chips or scratches?
Old 06-18-2006, 03:07 PM
BLACK06GT4ME
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Rock Chips

Touchup paint from the dealer with carefull patient application will help. Best to avoid them by following at a greater distance (but you already know that). I feel your pain, I've got two really small chips and they drive me crazy even though no one else can see them.
Old 06-18-2006, 05:07 PM
Airborneflyguy
2nd Gear Member

3m clear bra
Old 06-18-2006, 05:34 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

get it repainted and then get a 3M clear bra put on, touch up paint is always a little off and wont look good
Old 06-18-2006, 06:43 PM
Sonic Boom NH
2nd Gear Member

This is a great place to get touch-up paint. I have used their product before and had excellent results. When done correctly you really can’t tell the chip was ever there. You will want to order the 1oz bottle of base paint and 1oz bottle of clear coat:

http://www.paintscratch.com

Best way to repair chips is to use a toothpick as the applicator instead of the brush. Shake the base paint up well and then dip the toothpick into the bottle to get some paint on the tip of the toothpick.

Take the toothpick and use it to feed paint into the chip, like dabbing it but do NOT fill the chip completely with paint as you will want to put a coat of clear coat over the base coat.

Do the same thing for the application of the clear coat, shake well and use a toothpick to feed the clear coat into the chip.

Just take your time and don’t rush and it will look fine…
Old 06-18-2006, 07:11 PM
Red_Stallion
2nd Gear Member

I actually went in to the dealership and complained about the paint quality. I was told outright that they use a lower cost painting process on the paint and that makes it prone to scratches and chips. I have less than 9000km on mine and I already have 3 major chips that go right down to the metal, one on the front lip of the hood, one on the rear quarter panel and one on the front fender. There's nothing they will do about it either, so I think the only solution is a protection such as the clear bra or a proper repainting of the vehicle with a higher quality paint and process. Very disappointing.
Old 06-18-2006, 09:12 PM
probepro

ORIGINAL: Red_Stallion

I actually went in to the dealership and complained about the paint quality. I was told outright that they use a lower cost painting process on the paint and that makes it prone to scratches and chips....
I wouldn't put too much trust in what the dealer knows or says about paint. If you go to the Infinity G35 forums, you will hear even more complaints about paint chips. I read that, for environmental reasons, car manufactures in US have switched to water soluble paint, which is getting better, but may not be as durable as urethane in all cases. So I wouldn't be too tough on Ford. I paid $500 for the 3M clear bra on my GT to avoid the problem, but I would expect a $70,000 Jaguar would have a better paint job than a Mustang.
Old 06-18-2006, 09:45 PM
classj
4th Gear Member

I am pretty sure I am going with a clear bra myself, but havent made the commitment yet, for now I picked up the ford bra which is fine for the summer as long as you dint mind removing it every time it rains and keep the car immaculate.

But they are still a pita, so I may go the clear bra route.
Old 06-18-2006, 09:47 PM
Gizzmo0411

What exactly is a clear bra? Never heard of it before...
Old 06-18-2006, 10:03 PM
classj
4th Gear Member

One of the marketing names for paint protection film.

Quick Reply: Rock Chips