Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Your Warranty!

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 01:41 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Your Warranty RIGHTS!

ORIGINAL: hawgman

Why bother to even post that? The MMWA has been posted, copied, linked, and explained more times than this board has had "What's your age", "How much do you pay in insurance", "What's your monthly payment", "Which CAI is better", "Post your stripes", and "What size tire" threads combined. People still will ask because they won't use a search function and they are 100% sure their question is unique.
In hopes to provide a deep enough and detailed enough informational post that a moderator might consider making it a sticky so that we see less of these posts.
Old 06-19-2006, 02:37 PM
Agleon
2nd Gear Member

So will a muffler or suspension void warrenty?
Old 06-19-2006, 03:08 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Agleon

So will a muffler or suspension void warrenty?
Only if the muffler or the new suspension is the CAUSE of the problem with your car. Even then, it only voids a section of the warranty that it applies to, not the whole thing.
Old 06-19-2006, 03:54 PM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

I just posted the following in another thread on this same subject, but it looks like this is a better place for it. The bottom line is while a mod CANNOT void your warranty, it CAN be used as a basis to reject a warranty repair claim:

===============

I read a good thread about this recently, it was explained that there is a consultant (Ford employee) that comes by the dealerships to verify warranty claims. If that person deems that there is a mod that caused the failure, then the repair will not be done under warranty. The dealership is bound to follow the direction of this "expert". You can take whatever paper you want to the dealership, it's not going to help unless you talk to the "expert", and since he travels around the region it's probably very difficult to corner him. So what is your recourse? You can sue the dealership, but imagine what kind of costs would be involved with that, and in the end you might lose anyway. For example, if you have a CAI and tune and you burn a valve, it is unlikely they would repair it under warranty as a lean tune could very well cause a problem like this. If you sue it wouldn't be difficult for the dealership to show that the mod -could- have led to the failure. They don't have to prove that it -did-, they only need to instill some doubt. Now maybe if you have a lawyer contact them they will decide it's easier to do the repair then go through with legal proceedings.

The bottom line is don't expect the Magnuson-Moss act to save your bacon on warranty repairs on a modded car, it won't. Don't expect your dealership to quake in fear because you place a big stack of paper on their counter, they won't. You really have to decide for yourself if performance mod's are worth giving up some warranty protection.

It should be noted that mod's do not void your entire warranty as is sometimes said around here. They only open the door to warranty repairs being rejected on the basis of the mod. If you have a CAI and tune and blow your rearend, the dealership likely wouldn't think twice about repairing it because the two aren't related.
Old 06-19-2006, 04:18 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Tres Wright

I just posted the following in another thread on this same subject, but it looks like this is a better place for it. The bottom line is while a mod CANNOT void your warranty, it CAN be used as a basis to reject a warranty repair claim:

===============

I read a good thread about this recently, it was explained that there is a consultant (Ford employee) that comes by the dealerships to verify warranty claims. If that person deems that there is a mod that caused the failure, then the repair will not be done under warranty. The dealership is bound to follow the direction of this "expert". You can take whatever paper you want to the dealership, it's not going to help unless you talk to the "expert", and since he travels around the region it's probably very difficult to corner him. So what is your recourse? You can sue the dealership, but imagine what kind of costs would be involved with that, and in the end you might lose anyway. For example, if you have a CAI and tune and you burn a valve, it is unlikely they would repair it under warranty as a lean tune could very well cause a problem like this. If you sue it wouldn't be difficult for the dealership to show that the mod -could- have led to the failure. They don't have to prove that it -did-, they only need to instill some doubt. Now maybe if you have a lawyer contact them they will decide it's easier to do the repair then go through with legal proceedings.

The bottom line is don't expect the Magnuson-Moss act to save your bacon on warranty repairs on a modded car, it won't. Don't expect your dealership to quake in fear because you place a big stack of paper on their counter, they won't. You really have to decide for yourself if performance mod's are worth giving up some warranty protection.

It should be noted that mod's do not void your entire warranty as is sometimes said around here. They only open the door to warranty repairs being rejected on the basis of the mod. If you have a CAI and tune and blow your rearend, the dealership likely wouldn't think twice about repairing it because the two aren't related.
Right, everything you said is 100% correct, I just intended to supply people with some information so they arent continuing to ask "WILL MY WARRANTY BE VOID IF I ADD A CAI!?!?!?!?!?!" We all know this gets very old and Im trying to help some people out who also dont know their rights for their warranty under the law. And yes youre right some dealerships wont try to wiggle out of a warranty but I have seen some do it and thats enough for me. I have talked to plenty of people who have been denied warranty work on something totally unrelated to their mods. Friend of mine had his warranty voided because he added an exhaust and intake and they wouldnt replace his dash panels where they werent secured properly and were coming off. Granted it wasn't Ford but these laws apply to all dealerships. Yes I know the dealership warranty battle can get expensive and 99% of the time its not worth it because youll end up paying more for lawyers, court fees etc than to just repair the vehicle yourself, but if this helps just one person that happens to be in that 1% then purpose served.
Old 06-19-2006, 06:38 PM
LesteR723
5th Gear Member

can someone summarize this into a short book for me? [sm=wtf.gif]
Old 06-19-2006, 07:03 PM
Sonic Boom NH
2nd Gear Member

I’ll try to make this as short as possible so please bear with me. First, I am not expert and this is ONLY my opinion based on reading not only the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act but many other articles written based off of it.

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act was intended and is intended to protect the consumer, the person who bought the vehicle, from the manufacture dictating to them, the consumer, that they MUST use the manufactures oils, filters, belts, tires, etc, the list goes on.

Now, a manufacture can FORCE you to use only their parts BUT if they do they, the manufacture, must supply it to you free of charge and free of any labor cost. That is the very short version of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

The “Act” will NOT protect you if you install “performance enhancing” parts, such as a supercharger, nitrous oxide, suspension kits, etc. The reason is when you install those kinds of parts you are in fact “altering” the original design of the vehicle and frankly I would stand side by side with any manufacture in any court and take their side.

No one has a right to alter the vehicles original design AND then expect the manufacture to warranty items rendered defective because of said parts. For example if you install a supercharger and blow your motor, transmission or rear-end tough luck that’s your fault and NOT the manufactures.

With that said, the above example would ONLY render your power train warranty invalided but none of the rest of the warranty. People look at the warranty as a complete package and it is NOT, it has many entities to it such as electrical, suspension etc. While one may be rendered invalid the rest is not.

Personally I hope no manufacture would ever have to pay for repairs to someone’s vehicle that puts on a cold air intake and then blows the motor because of a lean condition. If the manufacture was ever forced to do those then guess what? We all pay for the dummies who know nothing about properly tuning a vehicle. Trust me the manufacture will indeed pass that cost along to everyone in the form of higher vehicle prices.

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act is ONLY FOR aftermarket parts that MEET the manufactures specifications. If you use the wrong motor oil that does not meet Ford’s specifications guess what? You out of luck because you just voided your warranty for failure to use the PROPER specified parts.

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act is NOT and has NEVER been for aftermarket PERFORMANCE INHANCING parts.

FORD CLEARLY STATES THE FOLLOWING:

From the Ford Cars and Light Trucks 2006 Model Year Warranty Guide (June 2005, Fourth Printing) page 8:

Not covered by the warranty:

”Damage Caused by Alteration or Modification
* alterations or modifications of the vehicle, including the body, chassis, or components, after the vehicle leaves the control of Form Motor Company.

That right their my friends should put everybody’s mind to rest because ANY alterations or modifications will void that part of the warranty. Cold air intake, tunes, programs then kiss the power train, transmission and rear-end warranty bye-bye. Lowering kits, kiss the suspension, possibly the transmission and rear-end warranty bye-bye etc…
Old 06-19-2006, 07:13 PM
Sonic Boom NH
2nd Gear Member

A bit of a short version:

If you have an aftermarket part that alters or modifies the vehicle, such as a CAI, tune, blower, suspension etc the dealer does NOT have to prove anything. All they have to do is tell you to read your warranty book, or if they are really nice they will simply photo copy what I had above:

* alterations or modifications of the vehicle, including the body, chassis, or components, after the vehicle leaves the control of Form Motor Company.

After that there is no court, no lawyer, nobody that can do anything, case closed…
Old 06-19-2006, 07:14 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: bl1nkage

In hopes to provide a deep enough and detailed enough informational post that a moderator might consider making it a sticky so that we see less of these posts.
Well if it makes you feel better to have a crusade, more power to ya. I gave up on it long ago because it never will sink in.....trust me.
Hell, for that matter, how many people ask where to buy touch up paint when it is in a sticky here. Or ask about a TSB when it is in a sticky, or any of the other stickys they ignore as much as they ignore the search function. But good luck with it anyway.
Old 06-19-2006, 08:17 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sonic Boom NH

I’ll try to make this as short as possible so please bear with me. First, I am not expert and this is ONLY my opinion based on reading not only the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act but many other articles written based off of it.

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act was intended and is intended to protect the consumer, the person who bought the vehicle, from the manufacture dictating to them, the consumer, that they MUST use the manufactures oils, filters, belts, tires, etc, the list goes on.

Now, a manufacture can FORCE you to use only their parts BUT if they do they, the manufacture, must supply it to you free of charge and free of any labor cost. That is the very short version of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

The “Act” will NOT protect you if you install “performance enhancing” parts, such as a supercharger, nitrous oxide, suspension kits, etc. The reason is when you install those kinds of parts you are in fact “altering” the original design of the vehicle and frankly I would stand side by side with any manufacture in any court and take their side.

No one has a right to alter the vehicles original design AND then expect the manufacture to warranty items rendered defective because of said parts. For example if you install a supercharger and blow your motor, transmission or rear-end tough luck that’s your fault and NOT the manufactures.

With that said, the above example would ONLY render your power train warranty invalided but none of the rest of the warranty. People look at the warranty as a complete package and it is NOT, it has many entities to it such as electrical, suspension etc. While one may be rendered invalid the rest is not.

Personally I hope no manufacture would ever have to pay for repairs to someone’s vehicle that puts on a cold air intake and then blows the motor because of a lean condition. If the manufacture was ever forced to do those then guess what? We all pay for the dummies who know nothing about properly tuning a vehicle. Trust me the manufacture will indeed pass that cost along to everyone in the form of higher vehicle prices.

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act is ONLY FOR aftermarket parts that MEET the manufactures specifications. If you use the wrong motor oil that does not meet Ford’s specifications guess what? You out of luck because you just voided your warranty for failure to use the PROPER specified parts.

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act is NOT and has NEVER been for aftermarket PERFORMANCE INHANCING parts.

FORD CLEARLY STATES THE FOLLOWING:

From the Ford Cars and Light Trucks 2006 Model Year Warranty Guide (June 2005, Fourth Printing) page 8:

That right their my friends should put everybody’s mind to rest because ANY alterations or modifications will void that part of the warranty. Cold air intake, tunes, programs then kiss the power train, transmission and rear-end warranty bye-bye. Lowering kits, kiss the suspension, possibly the transmission and rear-end warranty bye-bye etc…
There are many many parts of this that are wrong but a few that are right, Ill come back and correct you later because you are misunderstanding some things.

Quick Reply: Your Warranty!