Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom Tune Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 10:56 AM
hootch

Default Custom Tune Question

I have no idea how custom tunes work, but I've read enough posts on this site to know that's the road to travel to get the optimum performance. Right now I have an 06 GT manual with Corsa exhaust. My plans for August are to put on a C&L CAI. Eventually I plan to do other mods such as UP's, Corsa x-pipe, and 4.10 gears.

I've been considering buying the C&L CAI from Brenspeed with the SCT X-CAL 2 and don't plan on getting a custom tune right away. When I get the custom tune, do they use the x-cal that I already have and store the new tune in there or do they use their own equipment? I checked into shops in my area and this is the most recommended one I found... http://www.bigshotdyno.com/dynonews.html. I'm not familiar with the different types of dyno's used and have read that specific one's should be used for our vehicles. Do they have the right one?

I just keep going with the questions....or would it be better for me to just buy the CAI without the tuner and have them custom tune it. I don't plan on adding other mods (x-pipe, 4.10 gears, UP's) until next year.

Old 06-20-2006, 11:02 AM
W1ldcat
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Custom Tune Question

With the CAI you have to have a tune or your car will run too lean.
Yes, they will store their new tune in your programer unless they use a diffrent brand, so ask first. You will find the tune you get from Brenspeed will be very good and after running it a while might decied a custom one isn't needed. Better, but not real nessary.