Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tranny Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2006, 01:57 PM
Wildcat13
1st Gear Member

Default Tranny Problem?

Taking her in soon but wanted to see if anyone else has this problem or knows what might be wrong:

When my car is idling and in neutral (manual tranny) there is a "whirring" sound (hard to explain) which stops as soon as I put it into gear. It is getting progressively louder (car has 2,000 miles on it). Also, when I am accelerating and going high speeds (highway driving) the engine makes a high pitched sound (REALLY loud when the air is on). This is also getting louder/worse. It is also really hard to get into reverse most times and is getting harder to get into 2nd gear; it usually clunks into gear in 2nd.

I thought maybe I just wasn't used to a sports car but my husband drove it (he had a 2001 Camaro SS) and said there is definitely something wrong with it.

Any ideas??

thanks!
Old 06-23-2006, 03:49 PM
tdappleman
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Tranny Problem?

Does the noise in neutral also exist if the clutch is pressed in - not in gear, still in neutral? The throwout bearing can make a whining noise with the clutch disengaged, but the noise should go away when the clutch is pressed all the way to the floor. Your other symptons (except the high piched sound when driving) would make me point to the clutch as well. I'd definitely take it in and have the dealer look at it.

For the high pitched noise when driving - does it matter what the engine speeds are? So at highway speeds in 5th gear it makes the noise - how about the same speed in 4th? Any additional detail you can give the dealer will help them diagnose this faster. Good luck!
Old 06-23-2006, 04:45 PM
classj
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Tranny Problem?

Noises are a bit normal for a tremec. I love the whining personally. But wait, you have a V6, I am not sure what trans they have in them. Try shifting into first, then reverse. Even though it may not be needed on the newer cars. Out of habit from driving cars with reverse that is not syncronized I always will come to a stop, shift to first, then hit reverse.

I find in virtually all cars it makes the transition into reverse smoother as usually first and reverse are somewhat related in most trasmissions.

Relating to the noise in neutral, try depressing the clutch as said above. Most cars do make a bit of noise in neutral with the clutch up.

The A/C noise would have nothing to do with the trans.

As far as the 1-2 shift, just make sure that the clutch pedal is all the way down before you start to move the shifter. The clutch on these cars grabs pretty low to the floor so in general, you have to be completely down.