Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

engine light...

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2006, 08:24 PM
darkfact
2nd Gear Member

Default engine light...

so i had 316miles on my car yesterday and on my way home from work the engine light comes on. i b-line straight to the dealer and they say they're going to run a diagnostic on it. guy comes back and says they didn't find any problems but showed me a document with known mustang problems on it. apparently the engine light has been coming on for no reason in multiple 06 GT's and they don't have a solution/explanation yet. they reset the light for me and said i had nothing to worry about.

i guess it's a relief but still i was worried as hell....
Old 06-24-2006, 08:35 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

Default RE: engine light...

When I first got my 05 back in November of 04 it happen to me. The dealer said it was a coil misfired. Never had a problem since then except once and that is a whole another story. Don't fret. Try to not dogged it as much until you break it in.
Old 06-24-2006, 08:58 PM
austijc
2nd Gear Member

I always wondered why no one seem to just install a display and output the ODBII codes in a human readable format. The cost would be minimal and would let you know the difference betwen "get it fixed NOW" and "get it checked when you have time."
Old 06-24-2006, 10:01 PM
underbird10
3rd Gear Member

The CEL came on for a reason, but if the code was just a temporary issue, it can be cleared and not come back. There are about a thousand different reasons the light can come on, but if the issue still existed when the dealer put the reader on it, the code would have still been set. It's probably something totally harmless.....

Did you put gas in it just before the code? That 300+ mile mark sounds kinda familiar. My GT threw a code recently for the gas cap because the little plastic harness got wedged in between the cap and the filler mouth.

Enjoy your new baby, and don't worry.[sm=itsok.gif]

UB10
Old 06-24-2006, 10:21 PM
darkfact
2nd Gear Member

just filled it the first time today actually. the service guy did mention what you said about the gas cap tripping the engine light somehow. so when he went out to check the mileage i checked the cap and it was on fine.

whatever diagostic test they ran went well i guess, they didn't have time to check the lines for air leaks but the light has stayed off since so i'm not really gonna worry about it.
Old 06-24-2006, 10:26 PM
Agleon
2nd Gear Member

They need to just remove the engine light.
Old 06-24-2006, 10:29 PM
Remrats1234
3rd Gear Member

mine has just come on as well, i have 9000 miles on it and it kindas scares me, what should i do
Old 06-24-2006, 10:36 PM
Red_Stallion
2nd Gear Member

If they put the codes on a readable format, the dealerships would lose warranty money (and your money) because you would have the ability to fix certain problems yourself....of course I guess you can just go to Autozone or Checker and get the pulled code....aah nevermind.
Old 06-24-2006, 10:41 PM
underbird10
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Remrats1234

mine has just come on as well, i have 9000 miles on it and it kindas scares me, what should i do
Go to AutoZone and they'll read the code for you for free. If it's something like the gas calp issue, you can fix it yourself in about 15 seconds. If not, then it's off to the dealer for some warranty work.
Old 06-24-2006, 10:42 PM
underbird10
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: underbird10

ORIGINAL: Remrats1234

Go to AutoZone and they'll read the code for you for free. If it's something like the gas calp issue, you can fix it yourself in about 15 seconds. If not, then it's off to the dealer for some warranty work.
Those damn gas calps will do it every time.....

Quick Reply: engine light...