Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turtlewax Ice Report

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 04:51 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

Default Turtlewax Ice Report

Well I just got in from doing my car w/ the ICE and I'd like to share my experience with it since alot of attention has been paid lately. Yes it can be applied in the sun, on a hot car, on the trim, plastic headlight lenses, washer nozzles, etc and it does not turn white.

It goes on like an oil, you will feel like you have silicone on your hands when using it.
It goes on clear and stays clear when "dry".
It is more difficult to take off than most modern liquid waxes, especially carnuba ones.
You must use a microfiber towel to take it off (one is supplied) or it will streak.
Because it dries clear it's alittle harder to see where you might have missed taking it off, so you need to take your time.
It doesn't leave QUITE as slick a surface as other good waxes when done, you know, when you glide the back of your hand over the paint when finished.

But wow, that's some shine!
Shines at least as good as the other waxes in my garage( NXT (my fav) , the recently top rated Black Magic, Dupont Teflon Wax, NU Finish, Maguiars Cleaner Wax).
It looks as if I added an extra coat of clear on the paint.

So I'd say it's worth it if:

1)You got the time.
2)You have or need to wax in the sun or when your car is hot, like at a show, if you don't have a garage or shade around,. it's great to keep in the trunk.
3)You like not having to be neat. You can slop this on the car and not worry about hitting trim and such.

Sorry I don't have any pic, the wife took the camera today into the city with her.
The sig pic is with NXT but I think the gloss might be a little better now.
Hope this is informative to those who care.
Old 06-25-2006, 05:14 PM
Gprice20
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Turtlewax Ice Report

I have tried this stuff and it does look good when your done a few hours later but if your car isnt stored in a garage this stuff doesnt last long at all and it deffinatly doesnt give you the protection that you get from other waxes. Pesonally I like pure carnuba wax the best.
Old 06-25-2006, 05:25 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

I'll take the wait and see approach, but you might be right about not lasting long, and yes, pure carnuba like Gliptone's is soooo easy and looks great, but that, too doesn't last.
Did you see the latest wax report I posted? there's a link to the results here https://mustangforums.com/m_1454843/tm.htm
Old 06-25-2006, 06:23 PM
classj
4th Gear Member

Pure carnuba is nice stuff. But it just washes off too easily.

I still say nu-finish is a nice combo. But like with all waxes. The final product will only be as good as the surface it is going on. A freshly glazed or clay-bar'd and glazed surface that is polished and perfect is best.

The wax is just the protectant. On black cars a higher shine can usually be gotten from just imperial hand glaze by 3M. It is a fine polish with little protectant. But it is wax free so one wash and its done for.
Old 06-26-2006, 03:54 AM
Cowtown
2nd Gear Member

I finally found the wax this weekend. I haven't tried it yet but I did use the spray detailer at the show I was at and was pretty pleased with it. Seemed to work a bit better than the mothers detailer product. I'll give the Ice some try this week and report back as well, sounds like an interesting product anyways.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:00 PM
odiaz
4th Gear Member

I had been using the Maguire products to wax and polish the car. 7 weeks ago I started using the TurtleWax Ice Detailer and I have not washed the car since. I just dust it off with the california duster and then use the detailer as needed. The car looks great. True, I do keep it garaged and that helps a lot but even when it gets dirty after driving in the rain I can just wipe off the dirt with a towel and then hit it with the detailer and it looks like I spent all day cleaning her.

I also use it on the rims. Again, wipe the dirt off with an old towel or a rag, hit it with the detail spray and finish it off with Eagle One on the tires.