Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with what mod is next

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 03:47 PM
Gprice20
1st Gear Member

Default Need help with what mod is next

I got my first performance mod about a month ago which was the cnl cold air intake and tuner from evolution performance. I have a little over $500 saved up for my next mod and i was considering going with the Steeda charge motion plates. I was wondering if any of you have these or if you have heard if they are worth the $300. Also what else would everyone recommend for the amount of money i have. I thought about going with the undrive pullies and electric water pump but after talking with fred at evolution i decided against it. He said that they will cause nothing but problems and arent worth the little increase in HP that you get from them. Any advice on which way to go would be appriciated. Thx
Old 06-29-2006, 03:49 PM
GGIII
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Need help with what mod is next

Axle-back exhaust, hands down.

SLP Loudmouth, MAC, or Borla seem to be the top picks.

I have the Loudmouths and couldn't possibly be any happier.
Old 06-29-2006, 05:02 PM
mrwhitegt
1st Gear Member

+1 axel backs slp loudmouths....you won't regret it.
Old 06-29-2006, 05:32 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

I have Steeda underdrive pullys and I noticed a power increase and haven't had any problems what so ever. Fred please you have got to be kidding me? I think its time to do business with brenspeed. Fred's looks like a brake shop from the 60's. www.brenspeed.com
Old 06-29-2006, 05:41 PM
blowngt
I ♥ Acer

First of all the CMCP Deletes (charge motion control plates) are a useless mod for you. The stock CMCP's operate just fine and only become a problem with a centrifugal blower which has caused the plates to bend and block the intake. They really are only a neccessary mod for centrifi guys.

I also agree if Fred told you that something is wrong. The mezuire electric H20 pump is good for 30 hp and is a definite must-have mod in my book. I agree with just about eveyone else. Get the water pump and exhaust and that's the best bang for your buck with your money right now. The UD pulleys would do well for you too being n/a.
Old 06-29-2006, 05:59 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

The CMC plates are proven to be worth about 10 HP on a naturally aspirated engine, according to 5.0 Mustang & Super Fords magazine. However, the HP is only gained towards the top of the RPM range, and I have it on good authority that you may loose some power on the bottom (from Brent @ Brenspeed). Personally, I wouldn't run the CMC deletes unless you were either running a blower, or had a lot of other airflow mods first (headers, ported heads, and such), or you had some low gears whereby you would't be using as much real low-end.

Exhaust is good, but keep in mind that the axle-backs aren't worth any HP, it's only a sound change. Still, you've got a muscle car. It might as well sound like one!

I personally don't like the electric water pump or the underdrive pulley mods.

These mods make power by diverting energy away from your engine accessories like the water pump, AC, and alternator. I don't think it's a good idea to do that. Do you really want to make your water pump run slower (read: not as effectively)? Do you want to be putting a bigger strain on your electrical system? No thank you.

That being said, I'm going to vote for any of the following: Exhaust, Lower Control Arms, gears, or save up for something like headers, wheels & tires, etc..
Old 06-29-2006, 06:43 PM
Gprice20
1st Gear Member

Ok i forgot to mention that i already have mac axle-backs. CrazyAl I see that you have LT headers and x-pipe with high flow cats, how much louder is it with the long tube headers. I also thought about doing that set up awhile back but I was concerned that it would just be too loud. On a scale of 1-10 1 being stock where would you rate your set up.
Old 06-29-2006, 06:54 PM
odiaz
4th Gear Member

I have the UD pulleys and I love them. No problems with any of the accessories and a noticeable perfomance increase.

I would not go with the cmc plates. They won't give you a very noticeable performance increase in the useable rpm range. If you have $500 to spend I would either go with a hurst shifter and ud pulleys or a set of 4.10 gears.
Old 06-29-2006, 07:15 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Gprice20

Ok i forgot to mention that i already have mac axle-backs. CrazyAl I see that you have LT headers and x-pipe with high flow cats, how much louder is it with the long tube headers. I also thought about doing that set up awhile back but I was concerned that it would just be too loud. On a scale of 1-10 1 being stock where would you rate your set up.
Um, I think I'd consider my setup about a 7. I haven't set off a car alarm yet, but it is definatley pretty loud.

I would say that the largest "loudness" factors are #1, the Borla Stingers, and #2, the high-flow cats. The headers do change the sound a bit, but the headers themselves don't make it much louder. You can read about my full install here:

https://mustangforums.com/m_1304367/tm.htm
Old 06-30-2006, 01:37 AM
Go Blue 48044
3rd Gear Member

3.90 4.10 GEARS GEARS GEARS

Quick Reply: Need help with what mod is next