Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Convertible interior cover options?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 12:07 PM
bwilder10h
1st Gear Member

Default Convertible interior cover options?

I'm looking for a cover that goes over just the interior when my car is parked at work with the top down. They are doing some construction in the lot across the street and there is an aweful lot of dust flying during the day. I was thinking something like this would be nice and then spotted a new Carrera Cab in the lot next to us with one so I know they are out there...

The only thing I can find is a cover made by covercraft. It looks nice but the only thing that concerns me is the sides are held down with straps that attach to the door handles. They claim the material is soft, but I still don't like the idea of them rubbing against the paint.

Anyone know of other options or have experience with a product like this?
Old 07-11-2006, 02:00 PM
topless05GT
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Convertible interior cover options?

I've never used a cover... but isn't it just as easy, and maybe quicker. to simply raise and lower the top than to put on and take off a cover? I must be missing your objective... sorry...
Old 07-11-2006, 02:03 PM
bwilder10h
1st Gear Member

Just seems better to buy a cover rather than raise and lower the top when I arrive in the morning, when I go to lunch, when i leave, etc, etc. A $70 cover seems cheaper than a power top motor...
Old 07-11-2006, 02:08 PM
HaneyMotorsport.Com
Banned

They work great. We have never had a problem with them at all. Here is a link for some info and pics.........

http://www.haneymotorsport.com/musta...r%20covers.htm
Old 07-11-2006, 02:16 PM
topless05GT
1st Gear Member

I haven't heard a peep, or read, about issues with the motor. I realize it's only been a year since the first '05 verts hit the streets, so maybe it just isn't long enough to hear anything.
Personally, I'd like to have a remote button so the top can be going down while I'm getting close and/or getting in the car... I know - big drain on the battery... but it's good to dream...
Old 07-11-2006, 03:43 PM
bwilder10h
1st Gear Member

Haney, is the cover air tite? What are the straps that go to the door handles made out of?

Thanks,
Brian
Old 07-11-2006, 03:50 PM
HaneyMotorsport.Com
Banned

I can't say they are air tight, but they do a good job of keeping out dust,etc. The straps are basically an elastic loop. You really only need to use them, if it is windy/breezy out. They help to keep the cover from Balloning up in the wind. We have not test fit on the 05-07 Mustang with a Light Bar, but they do fit the earlier model 94-04 with a light bar no problem........just a little info if you have one.
Old 07-11-2006, 06:21 PM
GhostPony
2nd Gear Member

just put the top up! That is what it is there for!
Nobody has complained about a vert motor going out yet and it is under WARRANTY!
45 seconds to raise and latch the top. How fast to get the cover out of your trunk and walk arounfdthe car to spreads it out?
Old 07-11-2006, 07:01 PM
bwilder10h
1st Gear Member

If I wanted to put the top up, I wouldn't be asking about a cover.

Please comment if you have experience with a cover....
Old 07-11-2006, 07:32 PM
ScottRNelson
2nd Gear Member

I cover the entire car with a genuine Ford Mustang car cover when I park my Mustang convertible. It takes about two minutes to put it on or take it off and the whole car stays clean that way. I'll usually roll the windows up before putting the cover on to get a better shape, but it also works with the windows down.

As long as the car is always clean before I put the cover on, the cover stays clean inside and doesn't collect dirt that will scratch the paint. The car also stays clean way longer that way. In addition, it protects from door dings if you have to park near other cars.

To take the cover off, I fold it into a strip about two feet wide or less down the center of the car, then roll it up from the front. It's a little tricky over the open interior section, but it rolls up reasonably neat and I toss it in the trunk.

The elastic at the ends and the tight fit over the mirrors keep the cover in place even in strong winds.

Or you could do what I used to do occasionally when I drove an S2000 and just use a blanket. You can either use the wipers to hold the front in place or wedge it between the windshield and door glass, then hold the back in place by stuffing it in the trunk at the top.

Quick Reply: Convertible interior cover options?